Arlo Security Cameras

OP
OP
Beaver

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Had time to install yesterday since there was no good football to watch. Really easy setup and install. They do insert a strong disclaimer about not using rechargeable batteries or using cheap generic ones. CR123A batteries arent that expensive but we will see how long the first round lasts. Basically when a camera detects motion, I get a push notification on my phone and email and the camera records for 10 seconds. You can download that footage if you want. The base station is bigger than I would like but not a huge deal.

OP
OP
Beaver

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
I also ordered another product called Roost smart 9V that goes in your smoke detector etc. that sends notifications to phone whenever the smoke detector goes off. Wife thinks I am going a little overboard with this stuff. haha Good peace of mind for when we travel, I say.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also ordered another product called Roost smart 9V that goes in your smoke detector etc. that sends notifications to phone whenever the smoke detector goes off. Wife thinks I am going a little overboard with this stuff. haha Good peace of mind for when we travel, I say.

If you are in the bahamas, do you really want to know your house is on fire? :)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had time to install yesterday since there was no good football to watch. Really easy setup and install. They do insert a strong disclaimer about not using rechargeable batteries or using cheap generic ones. CR123A batteries arent that expensive but we will see how long the first round lasts. Basically when a camera detects motion, I get a push notification on my phone and email and the camera records for 10 seconds. You can download that footage if you want. The base station is bigger than I would like but not a huge deal.

I assume if movement continues it just keeps recording?

OP
OP
Beaver

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
It only records in 10 second blocks so lets say I was working on my doorbell for 5 minutes, there would be 30 recordings.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It only records in 10 second blocks so lets say I was working on my doorbell for 5 minutes, there would be 30 recordings.

interesting, sounds like it could be a big pain in the ass but I guess it is rare that you would actually need the recordings and have to splice a few together to send to authorities or something.

Does it catch and record every car driving by so you are getting 30 recordings a day you have to look through?

OP
OP
Beaver

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
I assume that is how it would work. I haven't stood there and let it record multiple times. I know there is a way to set a "non record" time during the day so you don't get notifications and recordings when you don't want. For example, when I leave for work at 7:00 it catches me and I can set 7:00-7:05 as a no record time.

It would record every car going by but I don't have it pointed at the street. I think you can set the sensitivity also. There has been a couple times where I got a notification and watched the video and there was nothing on it. Maybe a bug, I'm not sure.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assume that is how it would work. I haven't stood there and let it record multiple times. I know there is a way to set a "non record" time during the day so you don't get notifications and recordings when you don't want. For example, when I leave for work at 7:00 it catches me and I can set 7:00-7:05 as a no record time.

It would record every car going by but I don't have it pointed at the street. I think you can set the sensitivity also. There has been a couple times where I got a notification and watched the video and there was nothing on it. Maybe a bug, I'm not sure.

interesting,

One main reason I want to get cameras is to see the front of the house and the vehicles, it would have to also see the street to do so. I wonder if I would end up just ignoring alerts until I notice something has been tampered with or broken in to and then reviewing video at that time rather than being more vigilent of reviewing my alerts.

OP
OP
Beaver

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
The great thing about it is you can mount them anywhere. I could mount one in a tree in my front yard and get the front door and my truck in the driveway if I wanted.

I will say the sensitivity needs adjusted, it is raining here today and I have received 3 alerts from the camera picking up water droplets. I adjusted the sensitivity to see what happens.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The great thing about it is you can mount them anywhere. I could mount one in a tree in my front yard and get the front door and my truck in the driveway if I wanted.

I will say the sensitivity needs adjusted, it is raining here today and I have received 3 alerts from the camera picking up water droplets. I adjusted the sensitivity to see what happens.
thanks for the updates. I am likely buying this and for some reason your input is a major factor right now :)

OP
OP
Beaver

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Haven't had any notifications since adjusting sensitivity. You can also turn them off from your phone when doing things around the house. I was doing some work outside yesterday and my phone had 28 notifications! Wasting the battery that way.

OP
OP
Beaver

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Apparently they are coming out with the arlo pro cameras that have rechargeable batteries and another solar version. #1 complaint is battery life. cr123a arent that cheap. wonder why they chose to use that battery type.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Apparently they are coming out with the arlo pro cameras that have rechargeable batteries and another solar version. #1 complaint is battery life. cr123a arent that cheap. wonder why they chose to use that battery type.

Where did you see this news?

Edit: Wow, I will be willing to wait a few more weeks for this to come out! Looks 1000 times better then the normal Arlos.

http://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/default.aspx?cid=us-arlo-fb

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't need them to be on battery, you could also look into these:

http://www.izoncam.com/

My whole family is using them for home security and they even monitor their new baby with one. They even caught the dog snoozing on the bed when they were away. :lol:

Fairly inexpensive and easy to set up. The bad reviews are usually just bad units that get replaced pretty easily.

I suppose if you hooked it to a USB battery/charger you could set it up without an outlet. It comes with a plug that the USB power cable goes into.

I have four that I bought on sale at Monoprice.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't need them to be on battery, you could also look into these:

http://www.izoncam.com/

My whole family is using them for home security and they even monitor their new baby with one. They even caught the dog snoozing on the bed when they were away. :lol:

Fairly inexpensive and easy to set up. The bad reviews are usually just bad units that get replaced pretty easily.

I suppose if you hooked it to a USB battery/charger you could set it up without an outlet. It comes with a plug that the USB power cable goes into.

I have four that I bought on sale at Monoprice.
seems like more of a baby monitor type thing?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seems like more of a baby monitor type thing?

Sure, it's great for that.

In my case, I have one on each entrance into my home. I pull up the app and I can see every image live. I can also "arm" them so that any motion or sound alerts my phone and I can see if someone broke in or if the cat jumped up on breakfast bar again.

Any motion or sound "event" is recorded to the cloud and I can then view the 10 second clip and see what happened. If motion continues, more events are recorded. I believe you can save up to 50 events before they want you to subscribe and pay for more space. I just clean off events daily and it's not an issue.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, it's great for that.

In my case, I have one on each entrance into my home. I pull up the app and I can see every image live. I can also "arm" them so that any motion or sound alerts my phone and I can see if someone broke in or if the cat jumped up on breakfast bar again.

Any motion or sound "event" is recorded to the cloud and I can then view the 10 second clip and see what happened. If motion continues, more events are recorded. I believe you can save up to 50 events before they want you to subscribe and pay for more space. I just clean off events daily and it's not an issue.
Do you have them outside? Could a person walk up and unplug them?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have them outside? Could a person walk up and unplug them?

I have all of mine inside. If it was easily visible, yes you could walk up and unplug it. The other thing I realized is that if someone killed my power to my house, it would turn them off. But, it does send an alert indicating a power issue or network issue. They are pretty small though and you can make it so there is no light on when armed.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also learned you can adjust the record time to different lengths. 10 seconds is just the default.

Do you still love this camera? I might buy it today.

I guess someone rifled through my wife's SUV last night while we were sleeping.

OP
OP
Beaver

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Do you still love this camera? I might buy it today.

I guess someone rifled through my wife's SUV last night while we were sleeping.

Yeah, it has worked great so far. If I were to do it over, I would have waited for the Arlo Pro version because they have internal chargeable batteries and I believe you can use them as speakers to talk to whatever you are seeing on your screen. I had to replace the original set of batteries a couple weeks ago, so not too bad on the battery life.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it has worked great so far. If I were to do it over, I would have waited for the Arlo Pro version because they have internal chargeable batteries and I believe you can you can use them as speakers to talk to whatever you are seeing on your screen. I had to replace the original set of batteries a couple weeks ago, so not too bad on the battery life.

Thanks,

I guess it depends on the price difference. If your battery lasted an entire year that is no big deal if we are talking a $100 difference.

Thanks for all the info.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson