Arlo Security Cameras

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with these? They are the only battery operated, wireless security camera on the market. I've had a couple fake cameras on my house for a few years now but prices have gone down enough to justify purchasing real cameras.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious also, I bought a security system and tried crawling my 6'5 frame through my attic and fell through the ceiling in my garage. Wire free is the way to be. It has good reviews on Amazon

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
been reading reviews on it for 20 minutes, there are always negative ones but they are overwhelmingly positive. Very intrigued...

The most concerning negative one I just read is that the batteries are expensive and arlo voids your warranty if you use rechargeable batteries, this would be important to confirm.

OP
OP
Beaver

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
i
Curious also, I bought a security system and tried crawling my 6'5 frame through my attic and fell through the ceiling in my garage. Wire free is the way to be. It has good reviews on Amazon

oh wow. I just threw up some sheets of plywood in my attic above my garage and added two light outlets while I was up there. Wish I would have a 110V plug in too. If I do that I could buy any wireless cameras and run to the plug in.

OP
OP
Beaver

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
I learned yesterday that my in laws use the Arlo to watch their place in Mexico. I will have to ask my FIL how he likes it.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i

oh wow. I just threw up some sheets of plywood in my attic above my garage and added two light outlets while I was up there. Wish I would have a 110V plug in too. If I do that I could buy any wireless cameras and run to the plug in.
yeah i decided to wing it without that and my weight shifted for about and 18th of a second onto the drywall and I came crashing down. It was comical.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I learned yesterday that my in laws use the Arlo to watch their place in Mexico. I will have to ask my FIL how he likes it.

check up on the battery thing too please. I read they standard batteries last much longer in warm weather which is nice but I am curious about the whole rechargeable batteries voiding warranties thing

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would they even know if you used rechargeable?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would they even know if you used rechargeable?
Apparently they are a fire hazard?

HERE"S THE FINE PRINT;

Counterfeit & Inferior-Quality Battery Warning
Do not use counterfeit and/or inferior-quality lithium batteries. Such batteries can develop internal
shorts and may pose a fire or burn hazard.
Avoid purchasing batteries from online-auction and other marketplace websites, as these are
known sources of counterfeit and/or inferior-quality batteries.
The use of counterfeit and/or inferior-quality batteries could greatly reduce runtime and output
performance, damage your Arlo wire-free cameras, and constitute a safety hazard.
Counterfeit and/or inferior-quality batteries that cause damage to your Arlo wire-free camera may
void the warranty.

Counterfeit and inferior-quality batteries lack built-in fault and heat protection, which superior
quality batteries contain for added safety.
For these reasons, NETGEAR recommends that you use the batteries supplied by NETGEAR
with your Arlo wire-free cameras, or batteries from other high quality, established, well-known
manufacturers such as Panasonic®, Energizer®, or Duracell®.
Arlo performance claims are based on the use of batteries that initially ship with Arlo
wire-free cameras.
Rechargeable Battery Warning
Arlo wire-free cameras have been designed for use with primary, non-rechargeable batteries.
For the best possible Arlo experience, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND using the non-rechargeable
batteries supplied with your Arlo wire-free cameras, or non-rechargeable batteries from other high
quality, established, well-known manufacturers such as Panasonic®, Energizer®, or Duracell®.
Because many rechargeable batteries on the market are counterfeits or of inferior quality, WE
STRONGLY DISCOURAGE the use of any rechargeable batteries with your Arlo wire-free
cameras, as they may pose a fire or burn hazard. They may also damage your camera.
BATTERY WARNINGS AND SAFETY

"may void the warranty"

sounds like you just need to make sure you buy high end rechargeable batteries.

OP
OP
Beaver

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
So we talked about it last night and he has had no issues with the batteries running out so far. They have been installed for 6 months or so and they have a pool guy and maid that comes everyday and it turns the cameras on multiple times every time. He bought a pack of the non rechargeable CR123A and hasen't used them yet.

Think I will pull the trigger on the 2 pack in the next week or so. Wife doesn't want cameras in the house and anything in the backyard the dogs will set off all day, so my setup is just one on the porch aiming at the door and one on the side of the house aimed at the gate.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Love to get some feedback Beaver when you get them. Want some cameras in alot of areas at my new house and wireless would work out well. My question is, can these cameras be plugged in if near a outlet?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love to get some feedback Beaver when you get them. Want some cameras in alot of areas at my new house and wireless would work out well. My question is, can these cameras be plugged in if near a outlet?
If plugging in, you can buy much cheaper ones. I am eyeing these only because of the wireless features

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
I was looking at these as well since my house was broken into last week. I was concerned about having to replace the batteries quite often since it is so hot here. Also was concerned with the footage being cloud stored and not on a local hard drive in my house and not sure if there is an extra charge for the cloud storage or how long the footage is stored. I am still considering these though.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at these as well since my house was broken into last week. I was concerned about having to replace the batteries quite often since it is so hot here. Also was concerned with the footage being cloud stored and not on a local hard drive in my house and not sure if there is an extra charge for the cloud storage or how long the footage is stored. I am still considering these though.
I don't remember the recording time specs but they are in the Amazon listing. Also says cold is a concern for batteries, not heat

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If plugging in, you can buy much cheaper ones. I am eyeing these only because of the wireless features

Just wanted to know if there was an option to plug it in if I ended up putting up near a plug. Most would be wireless for me.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember the recording time specs but they are in the Amazon listing. Also says cold is a concern for batteries, not heat

Sometimes manufacturers don't test for our levels of heat, though...with batteries in them, heat is a valid concern. I'd try to ask the manufacturer before I bought them to be safe.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Have anyone of you that are interested in these seen if there were 2 base stations, would they connect together? I am hearing you can only have 5 or 6 cameras hooked up to one base station and you would have to get another one for addition cameras. Is that right?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My ex-girlfriend had 5 cameras with one base station and they worked out pretty well.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, it says one base station can work with 6 cameras. What if you had 8.

OP
OP
Beaver

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Finally bought the cameras today. Been pretty busy with the newborn. Glad I looked at Costco, picked up a 2 pack with additional outdoor security mount and 16 batteries for $269.99.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally bought the cameras today. Been pretty busy with the newborn. Glad I looked at Costco, picked up a 2 pack with additional outdoor security mount and 16 batteries for $269.99.
Nice. I'm likely doing the same, let us know what you think

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hows it going?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose