Arizona Diamondbacks off season thread 2017-2018

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
So we signed Yoshihisa Hirano who was a dominant closer 4-5 years ago but now he's going on 34... 6 mil according to Piecoro. Setting up Archie.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If the rumblings are true that Martinez's contract may actually go in the $120M range instead of the $200M range then ARZ needs to do that. Another rumor I hear is that Moustakas may sign a one year deal and hit FA again next year, they could pay a big one year salary. ARZ isn't in dire straights, I just read that all MLB teams are getting $50M in the sale of a MLB streaming service sold to Disney. Remember, ARZ signed that multi-billion dollar TV deal a couple of years ago. This team doesn't have the farm to promote from within to fill these positions so if they want to win 90+ games and reach the playoffs they need to get another bat or two and sufficiently build up the bullpen or its back to 90 - 100 loss years.

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
  • The Diamondbacks reportedly had real interest in Orioles infielder Manny Machado, but Heyman says the Snakes were not willing to consider moving third bagger Jake Lamb in a deal. That’s not terribly surprising; after all, the 27-year-old Lamb has only just reached arbitration eligibility and posted consecutive solid campaigns in which he has maintained a composite .248/.345/.498 batting line. Though he’s clearly an inferior overall player to Machado, Lamb is the type of affordable, quality regular that a team with Arizona’s payroll can ill afford to part with.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
  • The Diamondbacks reportedly had real interest in Orioles infielder Manny Machado, but Heyman says the Snakes were not willing to consider moving third bagger Jake Lamb in a deal. That’s not terribly surprising; after all, the 27-year-old Lamb has only just reached arbitration eligibility and posted consecutive solid campaigns in which he has maintained a composite .248/.345/.498 batting line. Though he’s clearly an inferior overall player to Machado, Lamb is the type of affordable, quality regular that a team with Arizona’s payroll can ill afford to part with.
ARZ wasn't going to be able to afford him next year, let's state the obvious. They didn't want to trade Lamb because next year they wouldn't have a cost controlled Lamb or Machado because like Martinez, Machado's agent is Boras and we can't afford Boras players unless we get rid of Greinke and it seems ARZ wants the best of both worlds in terms of prospects and teams taking Greinke's contract which teams are countering by insisting ARZ take on bad contracts in return. This 12/23/17 roster is what we are going into the season with, so unless Lamb and other go on another early season tear out the gate, ARZ is going to struggle even with the pitching staff we have.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
ARZ wasn't going to be able to afford him next year, let's state the obvious. They didn't want to trade Lamb because next year they wouldn't have a cost controlled Lamb or Machado because like Martinez, Machado's agent is Boras and we can't afford Boras players unless we get rid of Greinke and it seems ARZ wants the best of both worlds in terms of prospects and teams taking Greinke's contract which teams are countering by insisting ARZ take on bad contracts in return. This 12/23/17 roster is what we are going into the season with, so unless Lamb and other go on another early season tear out the gate, ARZ is going to struggle even with the pitching staff we have.

Never considered actually re-signing him. I like the idea of aquiring guys in a contract year cause they ball out. Obviously there was no way of getting Machado without dealing Lamb but an IF of Goldy/Marte/Machado/Lamb would be filthy for one year. Maybe their asking price will be lower by the deadline.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
  • While the Orioles have stated that they will keeping Manny Machado, Dan Connolly of BaltimoreBaseball.com guesses that the star third baseman will be in another uniform before Opening Day. A Machado trade is “still under consideration no matter what words trickle out” since the O’s could easily reverse course if another team meets their asking price. While several complications could certainly prevent a trade from taking place given Machado’s stature, Connolly believes the biggest hurdle was the Orioles’ decision to consider trading Machado whatsoever, and “taking that step tells me that they aren’t going backward.”
-

• The Orioles reportedly don’t expect to trade Manny Machado, but they’re still more open than ever to moving him, writes Olney. As such, Olney doesn’t rule out a deal coming together, especially with Machado’s value being higher now than it will be over the summer. At the same time, it “seems a distinct possibility” the O’s will keep Machado through next season because of owner Peter Angelos’ reluctance to rebuild, Olney suggests. In that scenario, Machado would depart as a free agent, presumably after receiving and rejecting a qualifying offer, and the Orioles would only get draft compensation in return.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Upton's deal is $22 Million per... Hard to imagine J.D. could be worth more than Upton, right?? Rumor is that JD asked his agent to go back to the Dbacks and try to work out a deal... Not holding my breath.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Upton's deal is $22 Million per... Hard to imagine J.D. could be worth more than Upton, right?? Rumor is that JD asked his agent to go back to the Dbacks and try to work out a deal... Not holding my breath.
Got to imagine ARZ would have to deal Corbin and/or Pollock to get long term cap space to up their offer to Martinez. I get the impression management is content with paying Greinke his money than to be without an ace. They must not be totally convinced that Ray is at ace status yet. It’s too early to tell about Ray, he could have a Kennedy type decline or Webb type injury.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would be super sweet to get Martinez back... but honestly not expecting it hope I am wrong

He will probably sign with red Sox or even a rumor the Rockies are after him now that would suck :(

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Would be super sweet to get Martinez back... but honestly not expecting it hope I am wrong

He will probably sign with red Sox or even a rumor the Rockies are after him now that would suck :(
This is what Boras has been waiting for. Teams to come along with interest to drive the price up with BOS who have been wise up to this point by not outbidding themselves. Martinez's best fit is with BOS where he can DH in a couple of years when his fielding gets really bad. If I was Hazen I would consider signing Jay Bruce who provides just as much power as Martinez, is a year younger and what makes him most appealing is he is not a Boras client. Should be cheaper than Martinez too. Boras is sticking to a 7 year contract which would make Martinez 37 years old at the end, for what Boras is asking for value wise I can see why only BOS has shown the most interest to this point and even they are smart enough to wait and see with the market for Martinez which has been small.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You guys are awesome. I was trying to get Dbacks updates from various websites but then I just came and read this thread and I feel like I'm all caught up.

Gettin close to spring training!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman

don't hold your breath on jd and the red sox. word is the star slugger is willing to keep waiting until someone offers what he sees as the true value.

Incredible how Boras plays these games... If the rumors were true that the Sox offered a 5 year deal, this means that Boras/JD are willing to take less years for more per season perhaps? I mean, Upton's new deal with the Angels comes to roughly $24 million per over 5 years. I know they wouldn't agree, but I wouldn't put JD over Upton. Not when Upton is a superior defensive player.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Incredible how Boras plays these games... If the rumors were true that the Sox offered a 5 year deal, this means that Boras/JD are willing to take less years for more per season perhaps? I mean, Upton's new deal with the Angels comes to roughly $24 million per over 5 years. I know they wouldn't agree, but I wouldn't put JD over Upton. Not when Upton is a superior defensive player.
Bruce signing for only $13M a year hurt Martinez’s asking price IMO. With the exception of BA, Bruce’s numbers were similar to JD’s.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard