Arizona Basketball 2017-18'

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless I'm missing something, I don't think there's a bracket out there that says X amount of money/cash value gets X punishment.

I blame the NCAA for being overly punitive with benign situations. IMO, the NCAA lost institutional control years ago, and the silver lining of this FBI investigation is that it will be exposed on a grand stage. Rules are needed, but common sense is as well, and I don't think the NCAA understands what common sense is.

There's a guideline, based on the amount. That's why in the Georgia Tech case the guy who gave the money came out and said Pastner is lying about the amounts, he thinks Pastner is underselling how much it was so he could give out a lesser suspension.

I don't think there's a searchable PDF we can all look at but they tend to do suspensions based in 3 game chunks when money is involved. When Selby was suspended at KU it turned out to be 9 games and the NCAA said he took nearly 5K, that was in 2010.

I took this from an Atlanta Journal Constitution article on the Georgia Tech suspensions.

"The NCAA’s guidelines for reinstatement have standards for the length of suspension based on the total value of the benefits. A benefit valued between $400 and $700 – which would appear to be where Jackson’s benefit falls – calls for a suspension of 20 percent of the regular season (six games) and repayment of the benefit.

A benefit of more than $700 – Okogie was determined to have received benefits totaling less than $750 – calls for a withholding of 30 percent of the season (nine games) and repayment."

It's considered preferential or extra benefits. Since Pinder apparently already paid it back that part is done. in the G Tech case they self reported and were hoping the NCAA would render a shorter suspension because of that. Okogie is actually injured he has a broken finger so they're suspending an injured player, Jackson is really the one they're hoping to get back earlier.

So my guess is Pinder is under $400 or else Arizona must have contacted the NCAA in advance and said we're self reporting this, he's already repaid it and got some agreement to a 1 game suspension.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW the NCAA announced that the 2 Ga Tech players are suspended for 3 and 6 games respectively, one took about 525 dollars, the 6 game kid took about 750 dollars. Both have fully paid it back.

I am convinced the reports about the plane ticket are wrong or Pinder flew some Southwest flight for about 100 bucks to get 1 game. My guess is the report of what he actually got was inaccurate I can't imagine in less than a week the NCAA would give him 1 game for a ticket to Australia from a coach and then 2 other kids 3 and 6 for less money.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Trier is putting up insane numbers thru 3 games. Like historical level efficiency after this game.

Randolph has been underwhelming but he's young. Ira Lee and Alex Barcello have been better than expected.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Trier is putting up insane numbers thru 3 games. Like historical level efficiency after this game.

Randolph has been underwhelming but he's young. Ira Lee and Alex Barcello have been better than expected.
If PHX cannot land a PG next year, I would think that transiting Booker to play PG and drafting a shooter like Trier to pair with him would really present a challenge for teams to defend two 6'5 - 6'6 guys who can really stretch the floor with their shooting.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Trier was a really good shooter in HS, it surprised me his first 2 years his 3 point shooting wasn't better. This year he's off the charts and not only % but range, he's making 25 footers now. 59% from 3 so far, assists up again, TO's up too but he's scoring so much you can tolerate 2.3 TO's a game. So far he's as improved as anybody in the country. Admittedly the opponents are weak but the basket is the same height and size and he's shooting at a phenomenal clip.

NC State is 4-0 but against a weak schedule, I think they will be a better test but I don't see too much resistance.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If PHX cannot land a PG next year, I would think that transiting Booker to play PG and drafting a shooter like Trier to pair with him would really present a challenge for teams to defend two 6'5 - 6'6 guys who can really stretch the floor with their shooting.

Suns a have 2-3 second rd picks. Wouldn't mind if they took a flyer on him.

Trier was a really good shooter in HS, it surprised me his first 2 years his 3 point shooting wasn't better. This year he's off the charts and not only % but range, he's making 25 footers now. 59% from 3 so far, assists up again, TO's up too but he's scoring so much you can tolerate 2.3 TO's a game. So far he's as improved as anybody in the country. Admittedly the opponents are weak but the basket is the same height and size and he's shooting at a phenomenal clip.

NC State is 4-0 but against a weak schedule, I think they will be a better test but I don't see too much resistance.

We're hoping Rawle sees what coming back a third year did for Zo. I think Alkins's family isn't as well off fincancially as Trier's (well unless $ rumors are true) but he may not take the next step with a bad foot and Trier/Ayton getting most of the shots. Miller can sell him on being The Guy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trier averages 30ppg the rest of the season and he won't be available in the 2nd round.

I'm not sure what the Warriors draft situation is this coming year but I've said since they got Durant, don't be surprised if Trier winds up on the Warriors somehow.

Durant was a rookie in Seattle and met Trier through some people, Trier had made a bunch of youtube videos as a kid and wound up (unpaid) in a commercial with Carmelo Anthony. Somehow he and Durant met and that's why Trier sort of followed Durant across the country. Seattle moves the team to OKC, Trier leaves Seattle and enrolls in a home school league in OKC. Trier gets suspended, twice, for not having a legal guardian and some other stuff and then he leaves OKC and goes to Montrose Christian which was Durant's last prepschool in HS. After he committed to Arizona he transferred to Findlay Prep which Zona has a good relationship with for his senior year.

I think he's both good enough to make the roster, and close enough to Durant that it's entirely possibly they attempt to get him just to make sure they keep Durant happy.

But the way that he's playing now, he might not be on the board when they draft, I looked and they have their own pick.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Trier averages 30ppg the rest of the season and he won't be available in the 2nd round.
I highly doubt that’s going to be the case, though 22-23 isn’t out of the realm if possibility. I think Trier plays himself into the first round. Dude plays like an NBA vet right now. That foul on the 3PA was a veteran move

TJ

Reaction score
Suns a have 2-3 second rd picks. Wouldn't mind if they took a flyer on him.

We're hoping Rawle sees what coming back a third year did for Zo. I think Alkins's family isn't as well off fincancially as Trier's (well unless $ rumors are true) but he may not take the next step with a bad foot and Trier/Ayton getting most of the shots. Miller can sell him on being The Guy.

Makes all the sense in the world, but I think he’s gonzo. I don’t think Rawle will ever play his way into the first round, but he’d automatically be the best player on next year’s team.

TJ

Reaction score
When Miller expresses concern over something, you better listen. Defense was a pressing issue and they got exposed big time.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think Miller is losing it to some extent due to stress. He doesn't look right. He's making bizarre lineup changes and his hallmark has always been defense which is putrid right now. Tonight it looked like 5 guys that haven't played together. Did he bench Akot for some reason?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Maybe the early season loss can be a positive down the road as it hopefully got the players attention.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Miller is losing it to some extent due to stress. He doesn't look right. He's making bizarre lineup changes and his hallmark has always been defense which is putrid right now. Tonight it looked like 5 guys that haven't played together. Did he bench Akot for some reason?

Akot played but not very well, he's a good defender but he has been pretty inconsistent on offense.

What was amazing to me is after playing brilliantly for about 35 minutes, one of the main reasons you lost was PJC, key turnovers, some fouls and lost Beverly a few times for big hoops.

I had so much trouble with the ESPN3 app(same thing last night for UCLA) that I missed chunks but Trier had a great second half and really attacked and put the pressure on the refs to call the foul. You guys are so big you're going to shoot a ton of FT's so a guy like Trier might lead the country in attempts as hard as he goes to the rim.

The size inside is nice to have but it does at times create defensive issues playing 2 7 footers and you're playing some youth(Akot, Randolph, Barcello, Lee) but the main thing was PJC, and Trier were just getting blown by way too much.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Akot played but not very well, he's a good defender but he has been pretty inconsistent on offense.

What was amazing to me is after playing brilliantly for about 35 minutes, one of the main reasons you lost was PJC, key turnovers, some fouls and lost Beverly a few times for big hoops.

I had so much trouble with the ESPN3 app(same thing last night for UCLA) that I missed chunks but Trier had a great second half and really attacked and put the pressure on the refs to call the foul. You guys are so big you're going to shoot a ton of FT's so a guy like Trier might lead the country in attempts as hard as he goes to the rim.

The size inside is nice to have but it does at times create defensive issues playing 2 7 footers and you're playing some youth(Akot, Randolph, Barcello, Lee) but the main thing was PJC, and Trier were just getting blown by way too much.

There has to be more with Akot because Miller would never bench someone for inconsistent offense. With Stanley, York and Kobi it was defensive effort and overall attitude. I never got that sense from Akot but I haven't seen every second of action this year.

I hope Ayton plays significant minutes without Ristic. Ayton's defense is not good either but they're terrible together. He looks to be in that Towns-caliber of player where the numbers will look amazing but the overall impact will not match it.

The last 3 meaningful games Miller has been out coached.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There has to be more with Akot because Miller would never bench someone for inconsistent offense. With Stanley, York and Kobi it was defensive effort and overall attitude. I never got that sense from Akot but I haven't seen every second of action this year.

I hope Ayton plays significant minutes without Ristic. Ayton's defense is not good either but they're terrible together. He looks to be in that Towns-caliber of player where the numbers will look amazing but the overall impact will not match it.

The last 3 meaningful games Miller has been out coached.

That was actually the book on both Ayton and Bagley in HS, great talents, great stats but the team didn't seem to win as much as you'd think with such a great player.

I think with 2 7 footers teams are just going to run a ton of pick and roll on you to try and make Ristic and Ayton move, just seems obvious with such size in there, try to tire them out. Ayton's a freak talent but he's only got 5 blocks in 4 games, Tom Welsh can't jump 2 inches off the floor and has short arms and he has 8 blocks already. Kris Wilkes is 6'6" and has as many blocks as Ayton so far. That was one of the knocks on Ayton in HS at his size and reach he should be blocking 3 shots a game but I think he changes lots of shots by just being there.

And he's so good on offense. I agree though probably less time together with Ristic will help.

AKot only played 4 minutes I would have guessed more so you may be right something might have happened, no idea what.

Still a really talented team I think a big part of your season is contingent on does alkins play this year or not. If he does the defense gets better and you add a scorer, if he doesn't, then Randolph, Akot and Dylan Smith one or more of them are going to have to step up.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only saw the last minute but looking at the boxscore your defense was much better, SMU shot terribly, but you guys missed too many FT's.

And your offense is too predictable it's either Trier or Ayton, they scored 2/3 of your poinst again tonight.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
UH yikes.

And I’m back to worrying an oh about millers failure on the x and o’s.

TJ

Reaction score
UH yikes.

And I’m back to worrying an oh about millers failure on the x and o’s.

This isn’t an Xs and Os problem, it’s a chemistry issue. This team looks very disjointed. I’m sure Arizona will figure it out, but it’s ugly st the moment.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn’t an Xs and Os problem, it’s a chemistry issue. This team looks very disjointed. I’m sure Arizona will figure it out, but it’s ugly st the moment.

The concern I would have if I were a UA fan is you guys are supposed to be ahead of schedule because you had that abbreviated foreign tour this year so you got to start practicing early. Obviously you're not at full strength with Alkins out, and you've had some suspensions and injuries to deal with, but if you got an early start and are still having chemistry issues that would be a concern.

Miller is a great defensive coach, I think he'll figure that stuff out.

The most obvious way for you to get better is get Alkins back, so the FBI story really comes into play in that regard. I assume that what the NCAA did with Collin Sexton will be the precedent for the 2 players named as having agreed with the agent but not having got paid. Sexton only had to sit out 1 game.If Alkins is the 1 who got money as seems to be the case, it complicates the whole season.

If I were Miller I'd be tempted to play Pinder more and Ristic less to improve the defense. 5 more minutes for Pinder 5 less for Ristic.

You still have the same issue with Trier, he's your best offensive player but the way he plays, he freezes out everyone else, even though he's passing the ball more, he's still so ball dominant.

Too much talent on the roster to not get much better but I have to admit I thought Arizona or Duke would be the last team to lose a game this year, I'm amazed you already have 2 losses.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Has be the worst 3 game stretch in history for a top-5 team. It's been largely ignored by the national media to this point. Luckily it's a busy weekend and the games aren't on tv.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTF is going on with this team? With Trier coming back and all the Ayton hype, I was actually looking forward to watching reg season U of A b-ball for the first time in over a decade. They’ve been pathetic so far.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Getting thrashed again... Going to drop from #2 to unranked.

What in the world is wrong with this team? Since when does a Sean Miller team have no clue on defense?

TJ

Reaction score
I got nothing. Praying Miller gets this team unified in a hurry.