TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Ayton playing college hoops is unfair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Randolph looks really good, don't think they will miss Rawlie while he is out.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw a highlight video on youtube, my goodness it's a testament to how good Bagley and Porter are that Ayton isn't presumed to be the first pick in the draft, he's ridiculously physically gifted and when he shoots like that he's impossible to handle.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Saw a highlight video on youtube, my goodness it's a testament to how good Bagley and Porter are that Ayton isn't presumed to be the first pick in the draft, he's ridiculously physically gifted and when he shoots like that he's impossible to handle.

The biggest difference is his body and athleticism. He was more of a "lumbering" center in HS but now he looks like David Robinson. He never lifted weights before college and I read he only did push ups. Miller will finally have a great pro he can point to in the NBA.

Also, what was Miller thinking putting Trier and Ayton on the same team lol.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest difference is his body and athleticism. He was more of a "lumbering" center in HS but now he looks like David Robinson. He never lifted weights before college and I read he only did push ups. Miller will finally have a great pro he can point to in the NBA.

Also, what was Miller thinking putting Trier and Ayton on the same team lol.

Good call he really does physically resemble Robinson. He actually ran pretty well before but he wasn't nearly as strong and he tended to not play hard and settle for jumpers. He's in great shape now, if Miller can get him to play hard, he might actually wind up the first pick. Bagley and Porter are more skilled, but Ayton's bigger and stronger, if he plays hard consistently you can make a clear argument to take him over either of those guys.

I get that Ristic is not a great player and never known for defense but for a true freshman to look that good playing against a 7 foot senior is awfully impressive.

I think you guys are going to see a ton of zone this year your team is so athletic teams are just going to hope they can zone and pray you miss the 3's.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Arizona #3 in preseason AP poll - behind Duke and Michigan State

My wife is an MSU fan -- I've always been waiting for a big tournament game between the two schools.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First suspension announced but not the one you were expecting.

Dylan Smith out for both exhibitions and the first game for team rules violation, not in any way connected to the FBI investigation.

That got intriguing last week when USC lost to SDSU in a secret scrimmage and word leaked out DeAnthony Melton had not played and was not injured, since he's rumored to be mentioned in the FBI story. But since then reports have come out saying Melton not only played, he started, since it's a secret scrimmage USC has not confirmed or denied he played.

Miller also said Smith is one of arizona's 7 best players.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Completely dismantled a good Chico St team without Randolph and Smith that went toe-to-toe with Stanford last week.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Completely dismantled a good Chico St team without Randolph and Smith that went toe-to-toe with Stanford last week.

I watched about the first 10 minutes, Ayton's ability to pass out of the double team was scary. Chico was doing big to big doubles which would normally completely confuse a freshman big, and Ayton was just picking them apart with passes.

He is sort of awkward around the rim it seems to take him awhile to gather and go up, but then he shoots FT's so well it almost doesn't matter if they foul him he makes the shots anyways.

Very impressive

TJ

Reaction score
Colin Sexton has been ruled ineligible for the time being. Our best OOC home game looking bleak in terms of entertainment value.

TJ

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

NAU coming for that dubya

Bet money that Phelps bought Pinder a meal or something stupid like that. Maybe last season, Miller does nothing but give a verbal reprimand.

Miller is going to run a very tight ship for a while now at least until the FBI stuff is over.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Bet money that Phelps bought Pinder a meal or something stupid like that. Maybe last season, Miller does nothing but give a verbal reprimand.

Miller is going to run a very tight ship for a while now at least until the FBI stuff is over.

Yep. Miller is going to be crazy paranoid from now on. I think he might actually kill a reporter this year, though.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone is being extra careful it appears. I put on the A&M and West Virginia game. A & M has 3 players suspended, Williams and Hogg their best players are both suspended for unspecified team or university rule violations.

Hogg apparently will play but not start. And West Virginia has a guy out for half the season on suspension

TJ

Reaction score
Everyone is being extra careful it appears. I put on the A&M and West Virginia game. A & M has 3 players suspended, Williams and Hogg their best players are both suspended for unspecified team or university rule violations.

Hogg apparently will play but not start. And West Virginia has a guy out for half the season on suspension
Houston suspended someone 1 game for playing a game at a church rec league. There’s going to be zero to,erance for any violations this season by every team. It seems.

TJ

Reaction score

A plane ticket? Little more than a meal, but Phelps has to be smarter than this.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A plane ticket? Little more than a meal, but Phelps has to be smarter than this.

Highly skeptical on those reports it can't be 1 game for a plane ticket to Australia? I looked on expedia, from Arizona to Perth is about 2K round trip, about 1500 one way. That's way over the threshold of 1 game, it's at least 5 and more like 9 games if true.

G Tech has 2 guys suspended indefinitely that got far less than that and from a guy they claimed had no ties until he said he did. That much money from an assistant coach would be way more than 1 game I have to think.

TJ

Reaction score
Highly skeptical on those reports it can't be 1 game for a plane ticket to Australia? I looked on expedia, from Arizona to Perth is about 2K round trip, about 1500 one way. That's way over the threshold of 1 game, it's at least 5 and more like 9 games if true.

G Tech has 2 guys suspended indefinitely that got far less than that and from a guy they claimed had no ties until he said he did. That much money from an assistant coach would be way more than 1 game I have to think.

Pinder also immediately paid Phelps back. Richard Jefferson got 2 games IIRC for Bill Walton giving him and Luke tickets to the NBA finals. It's all nonsense by the NCAA anyways.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pinder also immediately paid Phelps back. Richard Jefferson got 2 games IIRC for Bill Walton giving him and Luke tickets to the NBA finals. It's all nonsense by the NCAA anyways.

I've seen the posts on the boards I have no idea who the original source is on that part but it's pretty clear someone is telling them a version that tries to make it seem innoccuous and actually makes it seem worse. They are reporting that Phelps did not know it was against the rules, it wasn't Australia but somewhere "special" to Pinder, and he paid him back immediately upon returning.

The reality is it doesn't matter, if the NCAA had found out first they would have required him to pay the money back, which he apparently has, then sit out based on the amount of the ticket, so where he went matters due to cost. If the official ARizona excuse is that the assistant coaches are not aware of compliance rules to the extent they think they're allowed to loan plane tickets to players without getting prior approval from the compliance department then there's a much bigger issue and a total lack of compliance at Arizona.

I don't think arizona is that bad at compliance I think some insider got part of the story and tried to spin it in a light that sounded better to him, and doesn't realize that claiming Phelps doesn't know a basic rule like that actually makes it sound much worse.

A 1 game suspension to me implies the value of the ticket is under $500. If it's over 1000 we're talking 3-6 games.

I don't think it's a huge deal but blaming the NCAA for something like this is hard to follow, it's a basic rule you can't loan money or items of value to players. In special circumstances like a player has to fly home for a death in the family, the NCAA will grant waivers but you have to go through compliance. I hope for ARizona's sake their official excuse is not the coach didn't know the rules, that would look terrible.

TJ

Reaction score
I've seen the posts on the boards I have no idea who the original source is on that part but it's pretty clear someone is telling them a version that tries to make it seem innoccuous and actually makes it seem worse. They are reporting that Phelps did not know it was against the rules, it wasn't Australia but somewhere "special" to Pinder, and he paid him back immediately upon returning.

The reality is it doesn't matter, if the NCAA had found out first they would have required him to pay the money back, which he apparently has, then sit out based on the amount of the ticket, so where he went matters due to cost. If the official ARizona excuse is that the assistant coaches are not aware of compliance rules to the extent they think they're allowed to loan plane tickets to players without getting prior approval from the compliance department then there's a much bigger issue and a total lack of compliance at Arizona.

I don't think arizona is that bad at compliance I think some insider got part of the story and tried to spin it in a light that sounded better to him, and doesn't realize that claiming Phelps doesn't know a basic rule like that actually makes it sound much worse.

A 1 game suspension to me implies the value of the ticket is under $500. If it's over 1000 we're talking 3-6 games.

I don't think it's a huge deal but blaming the NCAA for something like this is hard to follow, it's a basic rule you can't loan money or items of value to players. In special circumstances like a player has to fly home for a death in the family, the NCAA will grant waivers but you have to go through compliance. I hope for ARizona's sake their official excuse is not the coach didn't know the rules, that would look terrible.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think there's a bracket out there that says X amount of money/cash value gets X punishment.

I blame the NCAA for being overly punitive with benign situations. IMO, the NCAA lost institutional control years ago, and the silver lining of this FBI investigation is that it will be exposed on a grand stage. Rules are needed, but common sense is as well, and I don't think the NCAA understands what common sense is.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard