Arians to Cardinals fans: ‘It ain’t worth’ selling your tickets

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

http://arizonasports.com/story/489961/arians-to-cardinals-fans-it-aint-worth-selling-your-tickets/

Since it opened in time for the 2006 season, University of Phoenix Stadium has proven to be a valuable advantage for the Arizona Cardinals.

All 101 games played there have been sold out, and most have seen seats filled with fans wearing red.

That wasn’t the case last Thursday, however, as Minnesota Vikings fans had a pretty solid presence in the stadium as the Cardinals hosted the Vikings on national television.

It wasn’t quite reminiscent of the Sun Devil Stadium days, when fans of the Dallas Cowboys, Oakland Raiders or, well, pretty much any team, would outnumber Cardinals fans, but it was a stronger visiting presence than Arizona fans have become accustomed to.

And it was certainly more of a presence than Cardinals coach Bruce Arians, who has guided the Cardinals to an 18-4 home record since the beginning of the 2013 season, was hoping to see and hear. That a good number of tickets were sold by Cardinals fans to Vikings fans for one of the biggest games of the season disappointed the coach.

“It’s going to take a little more time to stop seeing waves and just complete sections of the visiting team where you normally see Cardinal fans,” Arians told Bickley and Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. “I don’t give a [expletive] how much you get for you tickets, it ain’t worth it.”

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Would anyone want their head coach to feel any other way?

I wouldn't.

Doesn't mean you cant do it, or that it makes you a bad fan, but ofcourse the head coach is going to ask you not to. His goal is to win a superbowl.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Those people buying tickets with the purpose of selling them with a higher price ,i dont think are cardinals fans.
Just a business

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Shades of Markieff Morris calling out fans, though I respect Arians' opinion much more. To be honest, they're both right. Phoenix fanbase is not the greatest. I'm guilty as well, as I prefer the comfort of my own home and HD TV, to the drunken moshpit at UofP. I wish I could do more, I just don't like going.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
itinsunsfan, I'm almost 80 and am a lifetime New Yorker, who doesn't fly. I've attended many games in NY when the Cardinals were in town, and even though I was younger, I see where you're coming from. Watching at home is more comfortable. But back in 2008 (??) after watching the Jets beat the Cards, badly, the next day my wife and I jumped on the first of four trains, which would take us to Flagstaff, where we rented a car. We then attended two home games at UOP stadium, and since we didn't have parking tix, we had to park at the most distant lot. And I couldn't believe HOW EASY the team made our visit to the game. First, parking was free, and we were bussed to the stadium, also free. The stadium was beautiful, in and out, and people working there were beyond courteous. And to top it off, the Cardinals won both (Bills/Boys). A priceless experience.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I along with my brother am a season ticket holder for the Eagles(mostly for my wife who's an Eagles fan) and so far this season we've only sold one game away and that was the Bucs game and that's only because my days off changed and I now work on Sundays. But the 2 regular season games I've seen this year there's been a fair amount of opposing fans but not so much that they would drown out the home team. I get people sometimes get season tickets for the playoff games or for certain games(I'm looking at you dad) but why bother if you're not a fan? However, thanks to the price of tickets(my 200 level tickets are $75 a piece), the real fan has been pretty much priced out of the stadium.

Also, the people who go to the games I often wonder why bother. There was a couple sitting next to us the other day who arrived late and left at the end of the 1st quarter so they could go drink at one of the stadium bars. Why fork out $150(assuming they bought their tickets) to overspend on booze? This doesn't account for the idiots who kept on getting up and down all game long for whatever reason. Why go to games if you're not going to watch, you know, the game? I might get up once or twice a game to use the bathroom but other than that I never leave my seat. And this goes for all sports not just football.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Shades of Markieff Morris calling out fans, though I respect Arians' opinion much more. To be honest, they're both right. Phoenix fanbase is not the greatest. I'm guilty as well, as I prefer the comfort of my own home and HD TV, to the drunken moshpit at UofP. I wish I could do more, I just don't like going.

This isn't anything close to what Markieff said. This isn't attacking the fans, Kieff was just straight bashing the fanbase.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I really like BA as a coach, and what he said is what you want your head coach to say.

But, it is a lot easier to say when you are a multi-million dollar coach. You can either have 1 game with a lot of visiting crowds, or a bunch of them because no one can afford season tickets otherwise.

But again, I do not expect a man who has been living the NFL football coach for as long as he has, to understand common man problems and solutions to those problems.

........I mean if Bruce Arians wants to throw a couple bucks our season ticket holders' way, I doubt any of them would mind. :D

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Those people buying tickets with the purpose of selling them with a higher price ,i dont think are cardinals fans.
Just a business

Agreed.

And a legal and lucrative one at that. Gotta make your papers.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
If you have enough $$$ to buy season tickets, then you don't have common man financial problems. Just saying!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

http://arizonasports.com/story/489961/arians-to-cardinals-fans-it-aint-worth-selling-your-tickets/

Since it opened in time for the 2006 season, University of Phoenix Stadium has proven to be a valuable advantage for the Arizona Cardinals.

All 101 games played there have been sold out, and most have seen seats filled with fans wearing red.

That wasn’t the case last Thursday, however, as Minnesota Vikings fans had a pretty solid presence in the stadium as the Cardinals hosted the Vikings on national television.

It wasn’t quite reminiscent of the Sun Devil Stadium days, when fans of the Dallas Cowboys, Oakland Raiders or, well, pretty much any team, would outnumber Cardinals fans, but it was a stronger visiting presence than Arizona fans have become accustomed to.

And it was certainly more of a presence than Cardinals coach Bruce Arians, who has guided the Cardinals to an 18-4 home record since the beginning of the 2013 season, was hoping to see and hear. That a good number of tickets were sold by Cardinals fans to Vikings fans for one of the biggest games of the season disappointed the coach.

“It’s going to take a little more time to stop seeing waves and just complete sections of the visiting team where you normally see Cardinal fans,” Arians told Bickley and Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. “I don’t give a [expletive] how much you get for you tickets, it ain’t worth it.”

someone should tell him that brokers are the problem, not cardinal fans. It makes the fans look bad when he and local radio talk about it and never even consider that brokers own a large % of season tickets to our stadium and sell to the highest bidder.

Out of towners are going to be willing to pay much more than arizonans will considering arizonans can choose from 10 games a year, not one.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I really like BA as a coach, and what he said is what you want your head coach to say.

But, it is a lot easier to say when you are a multi-million dollar coach. You can either have 1 game with a lot of visiting crowds, or a bunch of them because no one can afford season tickets otherwise.

But again, I do not expect a man who has been living the NFL football coach for as long as he has, to understand common man problems and solutions to those problems.

........I mean if Bruce Arians wants to throw a couple bucks our season ticket holders' way, I doubt any of them would mind. :D

Bah, common man's problems. If someone can't afford season tickets, it isn't a common man's problem--it means they just can't afford them. I couldn't/wouldn't buy season tickets if I could (I'm in Pittsburgh, and there's a tiny bit of a wait list lol. Actually, I would do that because I hate the Steelers!).

I'm fine if someone sells a ticket if they find they can't make the game--going out of town for Christmas, has to work, etc--but to buy season tickets and then turn around to sell them just for the $$$? Meh.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
someone should tell him that brokers are the problem, not cardinal fans. It makes the fans look bad when he and local radio talk about it and never even consider that brokers own a large % of season tickets to our stadium and sell to the highest bidder.

Out of towners are going to be willing to pay much more than arizonans will considering arizonans can choose from 10 games a year, not one.

To me this is a major issue. How many seats are actually controlled by brokers and are the Cardinals doing anything about it???

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To me this is a major issue. How many seats are actually controlled by brokers and are the Cardinals doing anything about it???
Yep, call out the organization for allowing brokers to be season ticket holders, before calling out fans for selling tickets to one game and making enough to pay for playoff tickets or half of next seasons tickets.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Probably not

Yep, call out the organization for allowing brokers to be season ticket holders, before calling out fans for selling tickets to one game and making enough to pay for playoff tickets or half of next seasons tickets.

I would bet money that the fan selling tickets is a very small percentage compared to the brokers. Wait until he sees the Green Bay turnout. If the organization really cares, they should weed out brokers but maybe they don't have the oversight to even understand that is the true problem.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bah, common man's problems. If someone can't afford season tickets, it isn't a common man's problem--it means they just can't afford them. I couldn't/wouldn't buy season tickets if I could (I'm in Pittsburgh, and there's a tiny bit of a wait list lol. Actually, I would do that because I hate the Steelers!).

I'm fine if someone sells a ticket if they find they can't make the game--going out of town for Christmas, has to work, etc--but to buy season tickets and then turn around to sell them just for the $$$? Meh.

That in itself is a sign of progress. Who in their right mind would have ever bought Cards tickets before UOP Stadium and our more winning ways? You would lose you A$$ and the couple marquis games of the year would not cover the rest of the season. We have 8 season tickets and have had them from the beginning. We are always bring friends or letting our kids bring friends. I wont even bring my best friend to a game if I knew he was a fan of the opponent that week. My kids don't get it but that's part of the sickness I guess.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
There are a lot of ways to make money, but what goes on in Arizona is complete crap. There is nothing wrong with someone not being able to make a game and then selling their tickets but when people buy them just to sell them in such fashion where there is a obvious opposing fan base at the Cardinal stadium is by no means acceptable for Arizona or the Cardinals... I doubt someone will see this at Philly when we play and that proves my point

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Paraphrasing Wolf on the radio discussing BA's comments this morning:

If you can afford season tickets and you are just selling them to make money back, you are not a hardcore fan. Don't walk around and say you are one, because you just aren't. You're giving aid, comfort, and shelter to the opponent. You're not a hardcore fan.

Paraphrasing Doug on the same segment:

I agree, but if you can barely afford tickets, but want to be a part of the experience and this is the only way you can afford to show up to support your team for 7 other games, I can respect that.

Classic case of the ends justifying the means, I guess?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arians doesn't want the roof open either and stands on the field and tells you its louder with it closed. That it gives a better home field advantage. You don't seem to care about his opinion on that Brian??? ;)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paraphrasing Wolf on the radio discussing BA's comments this morning:

Paraphrasing Doug on the same segment:

Classic case of the ends justifying the means, I guess?

classic case of ignoring the real issue and pinning it on the fans instead

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but maybe they don't have the oversight to even understand that is the true problem.

:biglaugh:

When you have the same person with blocks of 20 plus tickets…

The team: "They must just have a big family"

hahhahahahaahaha

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Arians doesn't want the roof open either and stands on the field and tells you its louder with it closed. That it gives a better home field advantage. You don't seem to care about his opinion on that Brian??? ;)

I've said it before, but maybe we keep the roof open for the Packers game so they don't have a home-field noise advantage IN OUR HOUSE.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
sold out for like ten years straight right??..... Ticket brokers.............they buy the tickets,...get the sellouts,...keep the team on tv....are there 40k fans hanging out in the parking lot wishing they could get in to the game?

it sucks brokers will sell to just anybody with a buck,....but they and the team have a symbiotic relationship.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

When you have the same person with blocks of 20 plus tickets…

The team: "They must just have a big family"

hahhahahahaahaha

I asked for 3 and they reserved me ten at first when the waiting list first started prior to the stadium being ready

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard