Arians' Offense: Predicting The Right Fits

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
In looking at the Cardinals' current roster and the menu of free agents and potential draftees, I thought I would speculate as to what BA's and his staff's thinking is, as related to Arians' offensive modus operandi.

QB:

Job Description: Tough minded, smart, pocket passer who can deliver all types of throws, especially the deep throws. Mobility a plus, but not mandatory.

Out:

Kevin Kolb---not a fit; injury concerns
John Skelton---not intuitive enough to run BA's offense, but has the arm
Ryan Lindley---same as Skelton

FA Possibilites:

Brian Hoyer---has the smarts, competitiveness and dedication, will need to prove he can deliver the ball in stride up the field.

Drew Stanton---has the size and the knowledge of BA's offense. Will have to prove he can be a starter after being a backup for the past 6 years.

Possible Draft Fits:

Geno Smith (West Virginia)---quickest release, good deep passer
Mike Glennon (North Carolina St.)---strongest arm
Ryan Nassib (Syracuse)---style-wise and smarts-wise, a poor man's Andrew Luck
Tyler Wilson (Arkansas)---has bounce and a live arm
Zac Dysert (Miami-OH)---boom or bust
Tyler Bray (Tennessee)---back-foot slinger, but man can he sling it

Conclusion: I think that if Arians and Tom Moore like one of these QBs in this draft, they won't hesitate to use the #7 pick on him. I think that they will use free agency wisely and will address key need positions so that they can feel free to draft players who are the right fits in their program.

RB:

Job Description: Must be able to be a productive, tough-nosed runner and an able and willing pass protector. Good receiving skills are a plus, but not mandatory.

Out:

Beanie Wells---lacks blocking skills and interest
LaRod Stephens-Howling---might be kept for STs and, because of speed and open field running ability, could possibly be converted to slot WR, but won't be a fit as a RB in this system.

Possibly In:

Ryan Williams---really needs to step up as a runner and blocker. BA says he loves him, so he's got the coach on his side going in. Of course, has to stay healthy, as well.

Anthony Sherman---now this guy can pass protect and he's a ST's Captain, so chances are he will stick. He hasn't been called on to run the ball as of yet. Perhaps he will be given that chance in short yardage situations.

William Powell
---not only is he a shifty runner, he's tough and is a very willing blocker. BA would prefer a bigger sized RB, but could become enamored with Powell's surprising toughness and smarts. ST's ability helps his cause.

Fozzy Whittaker---here is another speed player who could open some eyes, especially if he shows an ability and a passion for pass protecting. Could be converted to slot WR and used there. STs could be a factor as well.

FA Possibilities:

Reggie Bush: There have been some rumblings that the Cardinals could be interested in him.
Shonn Greene: Tom Moore knows this tough-nosed RB
Peyton Hillis: Fits the profile
Rashard Mendenhall: If healed from torn ACL, he knows BA's system and at times thrived in it.

Possible Draft Fits:

Eddie Lacy
Stephan Taylor
Mike Gillislee
Rex Burkhead
Zach Line
Knile Davis

Conclusion[/B]: As with the QBs, it's quite possible that there will be three new faces at RB this year.

TE:

In:

Rob Houlser---speedy TE could become quite a focal point of the offense

On the Bubble:

Jeff King---coming off injury-riddled, sub-par season---may need to accept a pay cut.
Jim Dray---has never emerged as a reliable blocker or receiver, but had the vote of the previous coaching staff. Does contribute on STs.
Kory Sperry---big sized target, still a relative unknown at this point

Free Agent Possibilities:

Fred Davis---will be highly coveted and might be too expensive
Dustin Keller---Jets have cap issues and Tom Moore had a long inside look at him while he was consulting the Jets---could be a very nifty fit
Jared Cook---great athlete heading into his prime
Marcellus Bennett---still has unrealized potential
Brandon Myers---a sleeper UFA
James Casey---has all kinds of ability

Possible Draft Fits:

Tyler Eifert (Notre Dame)---would be a major surprise if he drops to #38, but you never know.
Zach Ertz (Stanford)---classic fit, probably will be late first, early second
Travis Kelce (Cincinnati)---love this kid, big, physical, runs and catches well
Gavin Escobar (San Diego St.)---jumps out on tape, natural pass catcher
Philip Lutzenkirchen (Auburn)---real sleeper
Vance McDonald (Rice)---big and athletic
Michael Williams (Alabama)---can block and is a solid receiver
Jake Stoneburner (Ohio St.)---has upside

Conclusion: BA will likely add a free agent and a draftee to this important position in his system.

OT:

In:

Nate Potter---BA and HG like him, they think they can groom him and give him help when he needs it.
Bobby Massey---settled into the position nicely as season progressed.
Levi Brown---could be asked to slide down to guard, but figures well into the mix all the way around. Might be asked to take a pay cut as well.

Max Starks---should be inexpensive if needed for depth purposes.

Possible Draft Fits:

Luke Joeckel (Texas A&M)---would have to be strongly considered if he drops to #7. Best tackle in the draft.
Eric Fisher (Central Michigan)---could be in the mix at #7, looks the part.
Kyle Long (Oregon)---if he is on the board at #38, he's a good, versatile option (T/G).
Dallas Thomas (Tennessee)---T/G prospect with good ability
Oday Aboushi (Virginia)---needs technique work but has the frame and the feet.
Terron Armstead (Arkansas Pine-Bluff)---small school super sleeper
Brennan Williams (North Carolina)---injury issues, but has very good talent
David Bakhtlari (Colorado)---this guy is going to sneak up in the draft, a bit unheralded, but very smooth and natural performer.

Conclusion: I think that BA and HG like the trio of Potter, Massie and Brown well enough to focus on other areas. I could see them drafting a tackle for depth later on in the draft, and I could see them adding Max Starks for depth, especially if they slide Levi Brown down to guard. Don't forget that with as many 2 TE sets as the Cardinals will run, that takes a good deal of pressure off of the tackles, as there is built in help on the better DEs. Unlike the past several years we won't see our tackles being left on islands versus the best pass rushers.

OG:

In:

Senio Kelemete---I am going to go out on a limb and say that BA and HG liked what they saw of Kelemete versus the 49ers. He fits their system very well, because of his athleticism and balance. And don't rule him out as an option at tackle.

On The Bubble:

Daryn Colledge---should be asked to take a pay cut after his performance last year. I think he accepts one and I think he rebounds nicely this year.

Adam Snyder---he too should be asked to take a pay cut and I think he will and that the coaches will want to keep him at center, as he was versus the 49ers in Week 17.

Andy Levitre---best available UFA guard will attract many teams including the Cardinals.
Donald Thomas---an unsung Patriot who has all the tools---Jason Licht could make a big push to sign him.
Kevin Booth---value free agent
Ramon Foster---nice fit in Arizona with BA and HG
Pat McQuistan---did a nice job last year, could be re-signed for depth
Rich Ornsberger---backup C/G could be re-signed

Possible Draft Fits:

Chance Warmack (Alabama)---best, most dominant player in draft.
Jonathan Cooper (North Carolina)---might even be a better system fit for the Cardinals
Larry Warford (Kentucky)---big bruising guard, may struggle in pass protection, however.
Barrett Jones (Alabama)---he would be a perfect fit at C or G.
David Quessenberry (San Jose St.)---nice job at G in Senior Bowl, played T at SJSt. and was a very good pass protector at tackle.
Alvin Bailey (Arkansas)---good third day pick from passing offense

Conclusion: I think Colledge will remain the LG, Adam Snyder will be moved permanently to center, and that the Cardinals will sign either Donald Thomas or Ramon Foster to be the starting RG. We should know all these moves before the draft---if Colledge and Thomas/Foster is not in place come draft time, we will know the Cardinals are targeting Warmack or Cooper with the #7 pick, or Barrett Jones or Kyle Long with the #38 pick.

i could see a scenario as well where the Cardinals let Daryn Colledge go and sign both Ramon Foster and Donald Thomas (or one of them---and then draft Warmack or Cooper in the first round).

C:

On The Bubble:

Lyle Sendlein---may be asked to take a slight pay cut, but he's likely to remain in the mix. He's smart and very coachable.

Adam Snyder---I think the coaches saw something in Snyder at center versus the 49ers and if he accepts a pay cut, could be in line to start at center this year if he beats out Sendlein. If he doesn't accept a pay cut, he might be released.

Dan Koppen---has battled through injuries, but could be an option if needed. Jason Licht knows him well.

Possible Draft Fits:

Barrett Jones (Alabama)---has to be a real consideration at #38 if he's on the board.
Travis Frederick (Wisconsin)---same as Jones---would be great value at #38.
Brian Schwenke (California)---played well at C in the Senior Bowl, could be a steal in round 5 or 6.

Conclusion: I think that Snyder will agree to a pay cut and will win the job, that is if the Cardinals do not have the chance to draft Barrett Jones or Travis Frederick at #38.

WR:

In:

Larry Fitzgerald---should be reinvented in this offense.
Andre Roberts---very exciting times for him as a deep and underneath threat.
Michael Floyd---offense is made-to-order for him.

On the Bubble:

LaRon Byrd---showed promise last year and should be even better, but this offense needs to get faster and if speed is added, he could be passed on the depth chart.

Out:

Early Doucet---unless he takes a pay cut, which would be doubtful. The coaches have bigger and better plans anyway.

Donnie Avery---BA reinvented him last year in Indy as a speed threat. He'd be crazy not to follow him to Arizona, that is, if BA comes calling.
Mike Wallace---BA sure knew how to maximize his talent as BA's offense is perfect for him. he might even agree to a reasonable contract to be reunited with BA. His speed is exactly what this offense needs.
Greg Jennings---might have too high a price tag, but imagine what BA could do with Jennings' talent.

Possible Draft Fits:

Tavon Austin (West Virginia)---best feet and hands of any player in the draft---stronger than he looks too.
Cordarelle Patterson (Tennessee)---can run and zig-zag his way around the best of them.
DeAndre Hopkins (Clemson)---has the burners
Keenan Allen (California)---not a blazer, per se, but has a great feel for getting open and for making the big catch.
Quinton Patton (Louisiana Tech)---one of my favorite players in this draft who I am praying will be on the board at #38, although I doubt he will---just sensational in all aspects of WR play.
Terrence Williams (Baylor)---what a target and he can slip behind you deep too.
Markus Wheaton (Oregon St.)---love this kid's wheels and open field running ability.
Tavarres King (Georgia)---runs one route very well: the go route. For now that's fine.
Marquis Goodwin (Texas)---can turn out the light and be in bed before it's dark.

Conclusion: BA has seen it on tape---this offense needs an influx of speed, and therefore the first step is signing Donny Avery and the second is adding one of the speedsters in this draft. Might hit the jackpot with Mike Wallace if they can make the money work.

Last edited:

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great write up, I love reading your posts.

From your list I would love to see

QB
Hoyer, Stanton, and one of (G Smith, M Glennon, or Nassib)

RB

Love RW but I think he is too injury prone. I personally would let him go.
W. Powell, R Bush, and one of (E Lacy, S Taylor, R Burkhead)
As a Nebraska Fan I would love to see RB, he just gets it done! But has had some injury problems.

TE

Houlser, Cook, Bennett

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Enjoyed the read and assessment of talent, but could do without all the speculation on pay cuts.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Possible Draft Fits:

Eddie Lacy
Tyler Eifert (Notre Dame)---would be a major surprise if he drops to #38, but you never know.
Zach Ertz (Stanford)---classic fit, probably will be late first, early second

Nice write up. IF we don't go QB, these would be real possibilities @ 38.

Couple others would be DT/DE Donte Jones and G/C Barrett Jones. But the above three would top my list, if we pass on a QB.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Nice write up Walter. The second and third rounds really have me excited this year. There are so many good options to pick from. I really like Kyle Long in the second. I could see us taking Eric Fisher, Long and then Schwenke in the third. My favorite RB is Eddie Lacy. I think we would have to take him with our second pick. I can see us taking either Eifert or Ertz with our 2nd pick to team with Housler to give a great one two punch at TE. If we do take a QB I can see EJ Manuel and Tyler Wilson being there in round two. Don't want Dysert or Nassib.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Good thoughts, Mitch. It would be so fitting if Potter ended up being solid. He's such the opposite of our typical Grimm run-block first OL.

I watched some NC games, and I was very impressed with Cooper (not to mention Giovanni Bernard, who I would love to fall to the 3rd round)

We're not touching any high priced or high round WR. We have our top 3 in place. Maybe a lower round speed burner (though I would love Deandre Hopkins), we are not spending resources on a position where we have a Hall of Famer (#11), a first rounder (#15), and a nice compliment (#12).

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Questions -

Didn't BA say he believed in fitting a system to his personnel? And if so, wouldn't this suggest that - since he doesn't have a preferred system to fit his personnel - he'd therefore be less inclined to make as many personnel changes as you predict.

Finally, under a more flexible Arians approach, would this suggest that personnel decisions involving one position might have an impact on personnel decisions involving other positions since it could mean that the system might be modified to accommodate each move?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Questions -

Didn't BA say he believed in fitting a system to his personnel? And if so, wouldn't this suggest that - since he doesn't have a preferred system to fit his personnel - he'd therefore be less inclined to make as many personnel changes as you predict.

Finally, under a more flexible Arians approach, would this suggest that personnel decisions involving one position might have an impact on personnel decisions involving other positions since it could mean that the system might be modified to accommodate each move?

JG: Make no mistake about it---Bruce Arians wants a QB who can command the huddle, stand tall and strong in the pocket and deliver big throws in the vertical passing game. This has been his MO every year and that's not going to change.

He also has made it clear that his RBs have to be able to run and pass protect---and not have to worry as much about being receivers.

Right now BA has a chance to shop for the groceries and he will cater his shopping list to his preference. Then, he will see what he has and will try to hone in on the more specific strengths of his personnel.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow Mitch fantastic stuff. I too like the idea of sliding Levi to guard. Come opening day if the starting lineup were

Potter, Warmack, Snyder/Sendlein, Brown and Massie I'd be a very happy guy. How they address the TE spot this offseason will be critical to the success of this line.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
He also has made it clear that his RBs have to be able to run and pass protect---and not have to worry as much about being receivers.

This would actually bode well for Beanie. I don't know if he's a great pass blocker, but he has improved in that area. But the "not have to worry about being a reciever" - that works very well for a guy that can't catch a cold.:D

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
This would actually bode well for Beanie. I don't know if he's a great pass blocker, but he has improved in that area. But the "not have to worry about being a reciever" - that works very well for a guy that can't catch a cold.:D

He's pretty average there. I think where we sit right now another big body TE who can catch as well so we can employ two TE sets against SF in particular is crucial.

We'll go empty bf quite a bit on 3rd downs and less than 10, imo.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Looking at the RB fits, I originally liked Andre Ellington for a Cards pick in the draft but that's not a fit because he's more, or as much, a receiving threat as running threat. Gillislee is already an accomplished blocker, can run the ball, and would be a perfect fit.

Another guy I have reading about and starting to really like is Stefphon Jefferson from Nevada. Jefferson set single-season Nevada records in carries (375), rushing yards(1883), rushing touchdowns (24) and total scores (25). He ranked second nationally in both rushing yards per game (144.9) and points per game (11.5).

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Looking at the RB fits, I originally liked Andre Ellington for a Cards pick in the draft but that's not a fit because he's more, or as much, a receiving threat as running threat. Gillislee is already an accomplished blocker, can run the ball, and would be a perfect fit.

Another guy I have reading about and starting to really like is Stefphon Jefferson from Nevada. Jefferson set single-season Nevada records in carries (375), rushing yards(1883), rushing touchdowns (24) and total scores (25). He ranked second nationally in both rushing yards per game (144.9) and points per game (11.5).

The Kaepernick of the bf. :D Good RB's are going to be had in Rd's 4-6!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The Kaepernick of the bf. :D Good RB's are going to be had in Rd's 4-6!
I agree. There's alot of talented RB's slated to go in the later rounds. I hope the Cards don't take one until round 4 at the earliest.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm partial to bigger backs - Ball and Taylor best fit the profile.

But I feel the most underrated RB this draft may turn out to be the smaller Barner - especially if he continues to run in the high 4.3's.