Are we drafting Dejounte Murray?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
There are some clues that he may have a promise

a) The official Suns coverage of his workout was more than the average I thought
b) He is with Klutch sports just like Bledsoe and Watson
c) We have somewhat of a need regarding PG depth and Murray is a bit of a project which he acknowledges himself. He said he is not afraid for competing for his minutes.
d) The PG position is so influential it is probably worth to try to find the next best PG all the time
e) Dejounte Murray has worked out only for 4 teams: Suns, Jazz, Bucks, Pelicans. All other teams saw him only working out in Cleveland where he prepares for the draft. This could indicate that he has a promise from the Suns at #13 and only worked out for Utah #12. Milwaukee #10 and New Orleans #6.

I could imagine that we are favoring Chriss or Bender at #4, one of them will definitely be there and then Murray at #13 since McD said he does not want to add multiple rookies with positional overlap which would rule out Labissiere, Ellenson, Davis, Sabonis at 13.

I think it is realistic that we may have given Dejounte Murray a soft promise at least at #13 if for example Labissiere or player X is off the board with a hard promise that he is not going to drop out of the first round (#28).

Our need for PG becomes bigger when you believe Gambo's report that the Suns are planning to play Booker at SF some.

#4 Chriss
#13 Murray
#28 guard/forward or center or stash

C Chandler/Len
PF ???/Chriss/Leuer
SF Booker/Warren/Tucker
SG Knight/Goodwin/Jenkins
PG Bledsoe/Price/Murray

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns should draft a PG but the question is where in the draft they do it. If the Suns believe Dejounte Murray is the BPA at #13, I would have no problem with it. I do think the Suns could find a PG later in the draft so the Suns really have to believe in Murray's upside.

However, I think the Suns should double down on the PF/C position somewhere in the draft. Maybe they will stash a foreign player at this position. It seems the Suns want Chriss or Bender at #4 but I would not be shocked if they drafted Brown. This would shake up the draft a bit although Murray could still be taken at #13. IMO, there is some talent at the PF/C position late in the first round. I'm starting to like Guerschon Yabusele as a Kenneth Faried type player with perhaps more upside at #28 although there are others.

The thing that keeps me thinking the Suns may make a trade, they will need a starting PF for the upcoming season. I do not see a rookie PF ready to start. Also they may not want to keep four draft picks although they could use #28 and #34 picks to move up.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
McD has almost ruled out doubling down. He specifically said that he does not want to draft 2 rookies who will fight for the same positional minutes.
The only way I see him breaking that is if they simply like the players way better. I would jump in joy if we went all big and ended up with Chriss, Labissiere and Maker.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McD has almost ruled out doubling down. He specifically said that he does not want to draft 2 rookies who will fight for the same positional minutes.
The only way I see him breaking that is if they simply like the players way better. I would jump in joy if we went all big and ended up with Chriss, Labissiere and Maker.

Yep, I heard him say that on an interview too. No rookies competing for the same spot.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

That's a really dumb thing to say. Even if you believe it to be true, there's no point giving away free information. The draft is like a poker game, and the less you say about your own intentions, the better.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
A bluff perhaps? Can't see why you can't have two rookies at the same position but then again I've never been around a professional basketball team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see the problem doubling down on a player especially in an area of need like PF. The Suns could stash one of the players overseas. Also the players could be in different stages of development.

I don't think it's smart to say you are not going to double down as Elindholm mentions. What happens if the BPA scenario happens to be drafting two PFs? If you draft two good PFs, a trade can always be made later on. I do not doubt McDonough said it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see the problem doubling down on a player especially in an area of need like PF. The Suns could stash one of the players overseas. Also the players could be in different stages of development.

I don't think it's smart to say you are not going to double down as Elindholm mentions. What happens if the BPA scenario happens to be drafting two PFs? If you draft two good PFs, a trade can always be made later on. I do not doubt McDonough said it.

I honestly don't think that's really giving that much away in this draft even though they already said it. There is so much redundancy in this draft I am sure the Suns didn't think much of it when they mentioned their strategy. Just like saying they were going to take best player available. That can be so fluid by the time their slot comes up they really are giving nothing away.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a really dumb thing to say. Even if you believe it to be true, there's no point giving away free information. The draft is like a poker game, and the less you say about your own intentions, the better.

I don't remember saying it. I would not care if the Suns drafted 4 power forwards. We have none on the roster right now. All the more chance to get a good one.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't think that's really giving that much away in this draft even though they already said it. There is so much redundancy in this draft I am sure the Suns didn't think much of it when they mentioned their strategy. Just like saying they were going to take best player available. That can be so fluid by the time their slot comes up they really are giving nothing away.

Although mock drafts generally don't mean much, Paul Coro may have offered some insight into the Suns thinking in his May 19th mock draft.

He did not have the Suns picking the same position twice. The rationale made for drafting Denzel Valentine at #13 hint at a draft strategy... that the Suns may go in different directions (positions) with their first round picks.

However, when it comes to draft day, so many variables come into play it is hard to predict who the Suns pick. Even the #4 pick is up in the air.

4. Phoenix

Dragan Bender, Croatia, PF, 7-1, 220, 19 years old

Averaging 5.4 points and 2.7 rebounds in 13.5 minutes per game of Israeli League play might not excite many but scouts are enthralled by Bender’s mix of skill, size, mobility, court savvy and drive. The Suns could use a stretch power forward and he has made 40 percent of his 3-point shots this season. He has more than an easy stroke. Drawing Toni Kukoc comparisons, he handles the ball and projects to be defensively versatile once he adds bulk.

13. Phoenix

Denzel Valentine, Michigan State, SG/SF, 6-6, 210, 22 years old

The Suns likely would go opposite of their first pick with their second first-round choice. If Bender is the young frontcourt selection early, then Valentine makes sense as a more mature wing player. The Suns are prioritizing character and team defense and Valentine grades at the top of those areas with P.J. Tucker entering his last contract year. Valentine is a leader who shoots and passes well but without the usual NBA wing athleticism.

28. Phoenix

Ivica Zubac, Bosnia, C, 7-1, 265, 19 years old

If the Suns keep their top two picks, they would likely use this pick to draft an international player who needs one or two more years of overseas development. Zubac is not athletic but runs the floor well for his size. He has soft hands for an effective post-up game but must develop his defense and shooting range to fulfill his NBA potential. Center Tyson Chandler's contract has three years remaining.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...mock-draft-paul-coros-first-edition/84618192/

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Although mock drafts generally don't mean much, Paul Coro may have offered some insight into the Suns thinking in his May 19th mock draft.

He did not have the Suns picking the same position twice. The rationale made for drafting Denzel Valentine at #13 hint at a draft strategy... that the Suns may go in different directions (positions) with their first round picks.

However, when it comes to draft day, so many variables come into play it is hard to predict who the Suns pick. Even the #4 pick is up in the air.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...mock-draft-paul-coros-first-edition/84618192/

I'm wondering if Coro knows about Valentine's health issues. It's been all over the internet for the past few days. I'm not sure he's worth a #13 anymore.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if Coro knows about Valentine's health issues. It's been all over the internet for the past few days. I'm not sure he's worth a #13 anymore.

I'm sure he does, that mock draft of his is almost a month old.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm sure he does, that mock draft of his is almost a month old.

You're right, not sure why Mainstreet posted a mock that old. Coro did post a 2nd edition this morning (I only assumed wrongly that is where his quote was from):

#4: Dragon Bender
#13: Dajounte Murray
#28: Brice Johnson

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Interesting I wonder if he picked up on the same "hints" that I did regarding Murray.

Coro has Yabusele at 28, not Johnson.

If we are going to picky Murray at 13, I find it even less likely that we pass on Chriss for Bender.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right, not sure why Mainstreet posted a mock that old. Coro did post a 2nd edition this morning (I only assumed wrongly that is where his quote was from):

#4: Dragon Bender
#13: Dajounte Murray
#28: Brice Johnson

I was referring to his old mock to hint at possible draft strategy by the Suns. The new one is out today and it also hints at draft strategy as well... not doubly down on one position.

I like his new mock better as he as Dragan Bender going at #4, Dajounte Murray going at #13 and Guerschon Yabusele going at #28. I earlier had mentioned liking Guerschon Yabusele at #28.

My current mock happens to be the same as Coro's mock.

1. Dragan Bender
2. Dejounte Murray
3. Guerschon Yabusele

IMO, this would be a fantastic draft.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am still hoping Bender isn't there or we go with someone else.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Interesting I wonder if he picked up on the same "hints" that I did regarding Murray.

If we are going to picky Murray at 13, I find it even less likely that we pass on Chriss for Bender.

He must have changed it because it was Johnson earlier.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You might get your wish for the Suns to draft Chriss at #4 although I would be equally happy drafting Bender. It would be great if the Suns had the choice between the two players.

I have come to agree with you about the Suns needing to be more athletic upfront. Also I like the idea of the Suns selecting an athletic PG with huge upside in Dejounte Murray.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really, really, really HATE the idea of taking Murray at 13 and I probably should have added really a couple more times.

Unless you think he can eventually play the 2/3 in the NBA, he's a nightmare of a pick this high. No way is he a point guard. Take the worst things about Bledsoe's offense, put them on steroids, and you almost approach Murray's game as a point guard. That's not to say he doesn't do some things very well, it's just that running an offense isn't one of them. And his TS% should scare anyone. I liked him when I thought we could get him in the 2nd round but the idea he's a possible lottery pick is a shocker to me.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really, really, really HATE the idea of taking Murray at 13 and I probably should have added really a couple more times.

Unless you think he can eventually play the 2/3 in the NBA, he's a nightmare of a pick this high. No way is he a point guard. Take the worst things about Bledsoe's offense, put them on steroids, and you almost approach Murray's game as a point guard. That's not to say he doesn't do some things very well, it's just that running an offense isn't one of them. And his TS% should scare anyone. I liked him when I thought we could get him in the 2nd round but the idea he's a possible lottery pick is a shocker to me.

That's how I feel about most of the guys we are talking about at #4. They seem more like "teen" picks to me. The guys that we are talking about in the "teen" picks are guys in a deep draft wouldn't be taken until the end of the 1st IMO. That's why it sucks we have so many picks in such a weeny draft.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson