Appreciating Arrington

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout, over the years, I've read many quotes from offensive linemen admitting that they block differently for different running backs .

Not intentionally, of course, but they know which backs hit the hole fast and which hunt and peck. Timing matters a lot. They also know who the best RBs on the team are and who plays hard and who doesn't.

And it's human nature to be more enthused and try harder for the guys you respect.

So, without argueing experience and qualifications (yours are clearly superior to mine) I strongly disagree with your entire argument on this.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Stout, over the years, I've read many quotes from offensive linemen admitting that they block differently for different running backs .

Not intentionally, of course, but they know which backs hit the hole fast and which hunt and peck. Timing matters a lot. They also know who the best RBs on the team are and who plays hard and who doesn't.

And it's human nature to be more enthused and try harder for the guys you respect.

So, without argueing experience and qualifications (yours are clearly superior to mine) I strongly disagree with your entire argument on this.

:yeahthat:

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

:shrug:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guess you guys think LT sucks to since he doesn't play at all in preseason. This thread is just silly, I would rather have a healthy Edge come REGULAR season games that matter than take a chance he gets dinged playing for nothing. Hell why don't we just play all our starters the whole game, because that would be stupid! Line blocking has NOTHING to do with who is running into the holes and if it does thats the freakin problem! They should execute their blocks period should not matter who is running through the holes just line up and make some holes.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Guess you guys think LT sucks to since he doesn't play at all in preseason. This thread is just silly, I would rather have a healthy Edge come REGULAR season games that matter than take a chance he gets dinged playing for nothing. Hell why don't we just play all our starters the whole game, because that would be stupid! Line blocking has NOTHING to do with who is running into the holes and if it does thats the freakin problem! They should execute their blocks period should not matter who is running through the holes just line up and make some holes.

Thank you very much, Nashman. Maybe an offensive lineman will unconsciously hold a block a split-second longer for slower backs. They shouldn't, and if they do it is part of the problem. Unless it is a chip block or shiver, which is immediate hit-and-release, you maintain the block as long as you can, or until you actually see the back is past you. Simple. I will not concede that Edge needs to fly around at 100mph into holes in the preseason in order for our rushing game to be effective. It is a fallacy, and I'm sorry Skkorp, but you are dead wrong. You and Hollywood are simply picking nits and being petty about a player it is clear you already don't like. Skkorp, I know you think Edge is done, and Hollywood, it is clear you don't like him either. You guys can simply say so and have done.

You know better than many that I will go all-out on some pretty silly arguments, but when I'm arguing so staunchly on a kool-aide position, you should take notice ;)

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll admit it that I lost all respect for #32 after his rant following the Raiders loss. I just think some people wish he was something he isn't. He is just not very spectacular. Emmitt Smith was actually a more productive Cardinal than Edge. Edge hasn't improved a ******* thing about this team, and for a guy who makes that kind of $$ and came over here with this much hype, I would expect him to have a bigger impact than Ron Moore circa early 90s. If not than he is a waste of money.

I hope I am wrong, but I have seen nothing to suggest that I am. I bought into the hype. i bought a jersey, and I spent half a season apologizing for him, but its time to sh++ or get off the pot.

And I will never be sold on a back that is incapable of taking it to the house or incampable of breaking off a 20 yard run. Speed matters, especially when you are getting paid what he's getting paid. Dammit Edge, prove me wrong!

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
I'll admit it that I lost all respect for #32 after his rant following the Raiders loss. I just think some people wish he was something he isn't. He is just not very spectacular. Emmitt Smith was actually a more productive Cardinal than Edge. Edge hasn't improved a ******* thing about this team, and for a guy who makes that kind of $$ and came over here with this much hype, I would expect him to have a bigger impact than Ron Moore circa early 90s. If not than he is a waste of money.

I hope I am wrong, but I have seen nothing to suggest that I am. I bought into the hype. i bought a jersey, and I spent half a season apologizing for him, but its time to sh++ or get off the pot.

And I will never be sold on a back that is incapable of taking it to the house or incampable of breaking off a 20 yard run. Speed matters, especially when you are getting paid what he's getting paid. Dammit Edge, prove me wrong!

What was the last back to run for over 1,000 yds in a season for the Cards before James? Especially behind the decroded pile of crap that was our line last year? Thanks for calling, bro.

Edit: I'll give the answer I already knew. 1998, Adrian Murrell. And before you say, 'but, but, Emmit almost rushed for 1,000'...Edge outgained him on the ground by 222 yds, which means he outgained Emmit by 2 over-100 yd rushing days.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What was the last back to run for over 1,000 yds in a season for the Cards before James? Especially behind the decroded pile of crap that was our line last year? Thanks for calling, bro.

Edit: I'll give the answer I already knew. 1998, Adrian Murrell. And before you say, 'but, but, Emmit almost rushed for 1,000'...Edge outgained him on the ground by 222 yds, which means he outgained Emmit by 2 over-100 yd rushing days.

Also, I don't remember Edge crying after games. :)

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Emmitt missed 4 games. If you think that Edge's year last year was anything to be proud of then the Cardinals have really warped your mind. Adrian Murrell sucked and every back since has sucked, including James. I don't understand why there are so many apologists on here for the guy. Of course if he sucks again this year it will be the line/ Whisenhunt/ Grimm/ the Bidwill's fault, right? I just don't get why he gets a free pass. Thanks for callin bro.

Stout

Reaction score
Emmitt missed 4 games. If you think that Edge's year last year was anything to be proud of then the Cardinals have really warped your mind. Adrian Murrell sucked and every back since has sucked, including James. I don't understand why there are so many apologists on here for the guy. Of course if he sucks again this year it will be the line/ Whisenhunt/ Grimm/ the Bidwill's fault, right? I just don't get why he gets a free pass. Thanks for callin bro.

Wow. The hate is so uncalled for, and so incorrect. James put up with being blown up in the backfield almost constantly, held it together, and ground out over 1100 yards the hard way. Those were extremely difficult yards to gain under the circumstances. I just think you're way off base.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. The hate is so uncalled for, and so incorrect. James put up with being blown up in the backfield almost constantly, held it together, and ground out over 1100 yards the hard way. Those were extremely difficult yards to gain under the circumstances. I just think you're way off base.
Judes also would have accepted:

Landon Donovan sucks.

:)

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Thank you very much, Nashman. Maybe an offensive lineman will unconsciously hold a block a split-second longer for slower backs. They shouldn't, and if they do it is part of the problem. Unless it is a chip block or shiver, which is immediate hit-and-release, you maintain the block as long as you can, or until you actually see the back is past you. Simple. I will not concede that Edge needs to fly around at 100mph into holes in the preseason in order for our rushing game to be effective. It is a fallacy, and I'm sorry Skkorp, but you are dead wrong. You and Hollywood are simply picking nits and being petty about a player it is clear you already don't like. Skkorp, I know you think Edge is done, and Hollywood, it is clear you don't like him either. You guys can simply say so and have done.

You know better than many that I will go all-out on some pretty silly arguments, but when I'm arguing so staunchly on a kool-aide position, you should take notice ;)

Lets not go putting words in my mouth. I think Edge is good, overrated but good. I also think that he is on the downside of his career and it is showing.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

James needs to shoulder some of the blame for what happened last year. He gest blown up in the backfield sometimes because he dances. I just want people to hold him to the same standard of judgement as everyone else on the team, and for a guy that hasn't produced, he appeares to get a free pass. The only thing he accomplished last year was durability and that is why he gained 1000 yards.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
James needs to shoulder some of the blame for what happened last year. He gest blown up in the backfield sometimes because he dances. I just want people to hold him to the same standard of judgement as everyone else on the team, and for a guy that hasn't produced, he appeares to get a free pass. The only thing he accomplished last year was durability and that is why he gained 1000 yards.
:yeahthat:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Not to drag this out any further Donald, but...

I really don't believe you can "say this about a ton of players"...
JJ was a highly regarded 2nd rounder, who did something not many other NCAA Div I RB's have ever done - rushing for more than 2,000 yards in a season...
He was a complete disaster in his rookie season. As much a flop as a highly regarded 2nd rounder can be. So much so his playing time in his 2nd season was seriously and appropriately dramatically cut.

Anyway - he'll have his chances again this season to surprise me... We'll soon see what sort of ticker he's got in his chest...

Well Donald? After one half of JJ being JJ, what say you??

:shock:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that low block that probably will cost them the game. Thanks JJ. You are DYNOMITE@!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn