Appreciating Arrington

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.azcardinals.com/blog/post.php?author=1&id=207

Urban's Blog

It’s been under the radar given his third-string status, but here is a truth from camp thus far: J.J. Arrington has improved. And it is noticeable.

I am like many who have watched this team over the past few seasons. I have been skeptical of Arrington’s work. It was only natural. The way he played, media wondered. Coaches wondered. Teammates wondered.

He has changed, however. -More-

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is starting to get it. I watched the 2nd half of the Texans game an I can tell you he is running like a man on a mission.
I hope he gets some reps with the first string.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I honestly think they have so much to gain if Arrington pans out and little to gain if Edge keeps doing the same old thing. Unless Edge can get a speed burst I think Arrington could potentially be better than Edge this season.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good article. Dovetails nicely into our discussion on whether Edge loses his starting job.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly think they have so much to gain if Arrington pans out and little to gain if Edge keeps doing the same old thing. Unless Edge can get a speed burst I think Arrington could potentially be better than Edge this season.

Another poster with his eyes open.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Another poster with his eyes open.

I would certainly LOVE to see JJ finally prove he's worth something, but honestly - what has he done to warrant any discussion about possibly replacing Edge??
And I'll go on record right now and say that Edge has been a big dissapointment. However, IMO JJ has done a whole bunch of nothing to demonstrate he can play RB at the NFL...

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would certainly LOVE to see JJ finally prove he's worth something, but honestly - what has he done to warrant any discussion about possibly replacing Edge??
And I'll go on record right now and say that Edge has been a big dissapointment. However, IMO JJ has done a whole bunch of nothing to demonstrate he can play RB at the NFL...

For some players it takes longer for the light to kick in. I think it kicked in last year but with the HUGE FREE AGENT SIGNING of Edge Denny felt he couldnt play him. He's looked great on kickoffs and he's looked great in the preseason and he is fast. So far Edge got 1200 yards on a half a million carries and has looked slow. I would rather see what we have in JJ than for the Seahawks to see what JJ can do. All I am asking for is some carries.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
For some players it takes longer for the light to kick in. I think it kicked in last year but with the HUGE FREE AGENT SIGNING of Edge Denny felt he couldnt play him. He's looked great on kickoffs and he's looked great in the preseason and he is fast. So far Edge got 1200 yards on a half a million carries and has looked slow. I would rather see what we have in JJ than for the Seahawks to see what JJ can do. All I am asking for is some carries.

I don't know... I would say JJ has looked average at best on kickoffs, but certainly not "great"...
And, at RB I would say his "speed" has seemed above average at best - and I feel like I'm being kind with that...
Not trying to be too harsh - just offering what I believe I'm seeing...
As I said, I totally agree with your statements on Edge, however I just don't see what you're seeing with JJ...

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, 82, he's not the only one seeing it.

Urban is too. As am I. And his numbers show it in the first two games.

Have you missed the big blocks he's been throwing in preseason?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

I haven't missed any of what he's "done" Donald. I am sensing that people - including Urban are:

1.) Desperate to see the kid pan out. Afterall, he did once rush for over 2,000 yards in the Pac-10. Can he really be this bad??

2.) Edge has been such a dissapointment, that they are all hoping beyond all hope that a kid who once rushed for more than 2,000 yards in the Pac-10 can somehow step up and become "the guy"...

Has he improved? Sure he has... But IMHO, it's important to keep his "improvement" in perspective, as his starting point was simply atrocious...
IMO, he still seems slower than advertised. And while I have seen him take on some defenders and win a one-on-one battle, I still have HUGE doubts about his ability to effectively block on a consistent basis...
In short, he has been so bad that for me, I couldn't care any less about what he does in preseason. He has a TON to prove before I change my opinions on him...
'Course, I write all of this with the vivid memory of him falling at the feet of Sean Taylor on a 3rd and 1 play @ Sun Devil, completely giving up and making even the slightest attempt to gain even a yard, settling for a loss of 2...
I'll believe he is not who I think he is when he actually proves it on the field, during a real game...

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like JJ. I like Edge better and think he'll be just fine this season. JJ will be a good change of pace back for us. He's going to be a fine back for another team...just another in a string of backs that didn't work out here. I'm not hoping beyond hope that JJ will be a savior.

It's good that you admit most of your bias is from the heartless plays he put forth in the past...his rookie season. It's ok that you hang onto that, because he probably won't get many carries or the chance to show anything this year anyway.

But what I've seen so far shows me a guy who is playing with a completely different mindset than the one who was here the previous two years.

Nobody is asking him to start...I'm just glad to see him starting to look like he gets it, finally.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It also looks like he is playing every 3rd down too.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it would be a HUGE boon for this offense to be able to actually have an element of bona-fide blazing speed on this offense, even if it's just in a limited role.

tenplay

Reaction score
JJ got his 2000+ yards at Cal his senior year mostly by busting through quick-opening holes made by the Cal OL. Our OL seems to be improving in opening up holes/lanes. But Edge takes too long to hit the holes and is stopped for short gains rather than the 6-8 yards that JJ will be able to gain. I don't know if it is due to Edge's style of running or if he is just getting too old and banged up for an NFL RB. In his 3rd year in the NFL, JJ has the fresh set of legs, quick-hitting style and a better understanding of what it takes to succeed as a RB.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always thought that Shipp should start. Going back since like 2003.

Shipp takes too many hits and gets dinged up. the year he had a lot of touches, he just couldn't stay healthy. It's because he spins all the time (used to) and took a lot of hard knocks off balance. I don't think he could hold up as a full time starter...jmo.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JJ got his 2000+ yards at Cal his senior year mostly by busting through quick-opening holes made by the Cal OL. Our OL seems to be improving in opening up holes/lanes. But Edge takes too long to hit the holes and is stopped for short gains rather than the 6-8 yards that JJ will be able to gain. I don't know if it is due to Edge's style of running or if he is just getting too old and banged up for an NFL RB. In his 3rd year in the NFL, JJ has the fresh set of legs, quick-hitting style and a better understanding of what it takes to succeed as a RB.

Hi JJ!

Just kidding...I like JJ but he doesn't have a better understanding of what it takes to succeed than Edge. Edge is one of the better players to play the position of all time.

Maybe a better understanding/skillset for success in this offense, but as a RB Edge has more than proven his skills and smarts.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi JJ!

Just kidding...I like JJ but he doesn't have a better understanding of what it takes to succeed than Edge. Edge is one of the better players to play the position of all time.

Maybe a better understanding/skillset for success in this offense, but as a RB Edge has more than proven his skills and smarts.

I think he meant JJ has a better understanding now of what it takes for him to be a good NFL RB, not better than Edge does.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score

You mean the same Urban that just got hired by the Cardinals? JJ has done absolutely nothing in a Cardinal jersey and I'll believe his amazing turnaround when I see it. I'm definitely not buying into anything a Cardinal employee has to say and I'm definitely not buying into any preseason performances.

At this point, saying JJ should be the starter over Edge is comical. All JJ currently is is a 2nd round bust. Hopefully he can change that

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Watching JJ play two years ago at SDS I was excited because I saw flashes of greatness in his play. I said then that if he could get over his fear of being touched he would be a probowler.

Watching him last year I decided he had gotten over that fear. The problem was that he needed to earn the right to play again. Unfortunately Edge was signed and he didn't get that chance. I don't see that as a problem this year. Edge lived up to my cousins expectations of, "Teams don't let great running backs walk away."

I think Whis is going to give JJ an honest look and his playing time will increase.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

JTS

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads