Gandhi's offseason plan 1.0

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
With the official announcement of James Bettcher as the defensive coordinator, and the more reports we get about potential free agent-targets I think we now have a somewhat decent picture of what the offseason might look like for the Cardinals. With that said, I can pretty much guarantee that I won’t be right with this guess. :) It makes for fun speculations and discussions, though.

I wanted to get this out before the Scouting Combine next week since that will chance a lot, and this is still only my opinion based of what I have seen in games. I think that’s the most important part but I also think you have to factor in what happens at the Scouting Combine. Not long ago I posted my first mock draft in which I selected Paul Dawson, linebacker, TCU in the first round. When I made the pick I didn’t know a whole lot about his character-concerns. I still don’t but now I do know enough to not using a first round-pick on him. That’s another thing that could change after the Scouting Combine.

My focus in this scenario was still on strengthening the run game and the linebacking corps. I’m not good at numbers so I haven’t made any guesses on contract, salary and that stuff. I tried to make every move independent of other moves I have suggested but a few places I didn’t succeed. I will write it in those instances.

Re-sign:

Dan Williams

I think Williams has become quite important to the defensive line. Last season I thought he was a monster on first and second down, as he was not only very good at clogging running lanes but also showed that he can move lateral to bring down opponents or collapse the pocket from various angles, and I thought he even showed that he could chase down opponents down the field. I really hope he doesn’t see the open market.

Sam Acho

To me, Acho is a good player to have on the roster since he seems to be a nice guy that the team really appreciates, and I think he’s a pretty good player as well. I don’t think he will ever become a sack artist but that’s okay with me since he can do a lot of the things outside linebackers are asked to in the scheme. At the end of last season he even played some snaps at inside linebacker, and though that might be due to almost everyone else at the position being non-existent for different reasons, I think it’s an interesting thought going forward.

Mike Leach

He’s reliable, he’s probable not going to break the bank, and he’s been with the organization for a long time. Why wouldn’t you want to keep him?

Tommy Kelly

He might have been signed in the first place because of a lack of depth at the position, and because he didn’t cost that much but I think he outplayed those circumstances. I realize there is a lot of competition at the defensive line, and that guys such as Ed Stinson, Kareem Martin and Josh Mauro probably are the future but I think Kelly brings leadership and experience to go with a high level of play, and I don’t want to lose him just yet.

Paul Fanaika

I really hope that Fanaika is not a starting guard next season but that doesn’t mean I think he would be bad to have on the roster. He probably won’t be too expensive to re-sign, and I would like to have him at least through training camp to challenge some other players, and maybe even teach them a thing or two after his time as a starter.

Bradley Sowell

Basically, I would like to re-sign Sowell because of the exact same reasons I just wrote regarding Fanaika. I simply think he could be an asset in training camp, and maybe as a fringe player on the roster during the season.

Larry Foote

Whether it is as a player or a coach, I don’t want to lose Foote’s wealth of experience, leadership and knowledge of Bettcher’s defense – not to mention his knowledge of defensive football in general.

Alameda Ta’amu

I’m not sure about this one. I thought Ta’amu played very well when he came over from the Steelers but that’s a long time ago. I just wanted to mention him.

Free agency:

I have made both a suggestion on a signing, and a possible alternate. Obviously, most of the activity essentially depends on Larry Fitzgerald but I have a good feeling they will get his contract restructured, and I thought it was exiting the read that Michael Bidwill wants to go after a big time-acquisition like Jared Veldheer was last year (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...agree-restructured-deal?ex_cid=espnapi_public).

Darren McFadden, runningback, Oakland Raiders

It’s been reported that the Cardinals could go after McFadden, and I think that could potentially be a coup by Steve Keim and Bruce Arians. McFadden is the big back they don’t have to spell Andre Ellington, and even though McFadden has been very injured doing his NFL-career, he has also shown rare abilities in many occasions. You could also argue that if he had not suffered those injuries he might not be a possibility in free agency.

Alternate: Ben Tate, runningback, Pittsburgh Steelers

Well, the Cardinals did put in a waiver claim when the Texans released Tate. I actually don’t think he is that good but if Arians and Keim wants him I would not have any problem with it.

Orlando Franklin, offensive guard, Denver Broncos

I would not spend a lot on an offensive guard in free agency since I think there will be some very good ones in the draft, and I would rather take my chances on developing one of those than using a good amount of cap space on an expensive veteran. That said, if the Cardinals do target an offensive guard in free agency, Orlando Franklin could be that guy. It would definitely merits Bidwill’s talk about a huge free agent-signing. The Broncos have a lot of potential free agents such as tight end Julius Thomas, wide receiver Demayrius Thomas, defensive tackle Terrance Knighton and safety Rahim Moore who are all going to command big money, and even though Franklin was their best offensive lineman last season it could make him the odd man out.

Alternate: Will Rackley, offensive guard, Baltimore Ravens

Rackley has never been the success he was thought to become when entering the league. He would, however, be the kind of free agent-signing I would want to make at the position because he most likely won’t get a big contract, and I think he has enough potential to warrant a spot on the roster in training camp. Who knows? Maybe he pans out.

Rodney Hudson, center, Kansas City Chiefs

First off, I would like to say that I think the center-position is severely underrated. The center is the only player that without any doubt will touch the ball on any offensive snap, he usually makes all the pre-snaps call on the offensive line, and he has to have a very distinct relationship with the quarterback (or whoever lines up as the quarterback on some trick plays), not to mention he needs to work countless hours every year with the quarterback because of exactly that.

ProFootballFocus graded Hudson out to be the third best center in the NFL, and the only one to grade out positively in every category, and though their offensive line-rankings are doubtful at best, probably every Chiefs-analyst or fan of the team would tell you that Rodney Hudson was their best offensive lineman last season. He has been somewhat injury-prone throughout his NFL-career but he has nonetheless started the last 31 of 32 games the last two seasons.

So why would the Chiefs let him walk? Well, I don’t think they should either but they are very close to the salary cap-limit, and they do have many other potential free agents such as a certain Justin Houston.

Alternate: Stefen Wisniewski, center, Oakland Raiders

In this case my alternate is actually my first choice. I just don’t see why the Raiders wouldn’t want to do everything in their power to keep Wisniewski other than, you know, that they are the Raiders. I think Wisniewski is highly talented, and if he were to hit the open market, I actually think the Cardinals would have an edge if they targeted him because Carson Palmer and Jared Veldheer are on the team. That’s two guys Wisniewski knows very well, have spent a lot of time with, and literally have fought alongside. I would like Wisniewski to be Michael Bidwill’s and Steve Keim’s major free agent-signing.

By the way, I thought it was interesting that the Cardinals worked out Brett Jones who was named the top offensive lineman in the CFL last season (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Giants-to-sign-CFL-offensive-lineman-Brett-Jones.html). Maybe it say something about the Cardinals wanting to upgrade the position. Or maybe it simply says something about Steve Keim always looking for talent everywhere, which in itself I think would be pretty exciting.

Jabaal Sheard, rush linebacker, Cleveland Browns

I think Sheard is nearly the prototypical rush linebacker in Bettchers’ defensive philosophy. Sheard is big, he’s strong, he can set the edge, he can stop the run inside, and he has at least some pass rush in him. I don’t know how good he is dropping into coverage but on the other hand it’s not like Okafor, Acho or the other players at the position are asked to drop further back than the shorter zones. I think Sheard should be able to do that.

Sheard’s playing time and production took a hit last season as the Browns primarily used their huge free agent-acquisition Paul Kruger, and their first round pick, Barkevious Mingo. None of them was that good but I don’t think they will give up on them just yet, and though that obviously doesn’t mean they are giving up on Sheard either, I think it might push him to look for a fresh start somewhere else.

Alternate: Brooks Reed, rush linebacker, Houston Texans

Brooks Reed strikes me as an evident candidate in Bettcher’s defense as well. He’s not going to register dozens of sacks each year but he’s strong against the run, he’s disciplined, he’s hard working, and he never gives up on a play.

The Texans have another linebacker, Whitney Mercilus, as a potential free agent as well, and he played better last season than Reed so I think they might want to focus on re-signing him. They also have the overall first pick from last year, Jadeveon Clowney, and maybe that’s enough for them to let Reed test the market.

Brooks Reed is from Tucson, Arizona, and went to the University of Arizona so maybe the Cardinals would have an advantage there as well if they wanted to sign him.

Justin Durant, inside linebacker, Dallas Cowboys

This is Catfish’ idea all the way, and I’m buying it. I think Durant could be a very good inside linebacker with the Cardinals as he has a lot of the traits they usually deploys in the system.

As with offensive guard I am lukewarm to the idea of spending big money on inside linebackers in free agency because I think there is many attractive options in the draft. I don’t know that Durant would command a big contract though.

Alternate: Mason Foster, inside linebacker, Tampa Bay Buccanneers

Foster is basically the same type of player as Durant, and his success in the NFL is nearly identical as well.

Bradley Fletcher, cornerback, Philadelphia Eagles

I think Cromartie is gone as soon as free agency opens up, and I’m not that willing to put all my hope in Justin Bethel. Bethel might be a good player, and he might become a star someday, but at least for now he is somewhat of an unknown at the position to me.

Fletcher is the type of player the Cardinals like at cornerback as he is big, strong, physical with the opponent, good at bump’N’run, good at re-directing receivers, and likes to participate against the run. He didn’t have a good season with the Eagles, and most team-analyst seem to think they will let him walk. I think he could be a target to Keim as Fletcher is not only the right type of cornerback but also has a history in the NFC West.

Alternate: Walter Thurmond, cornerback, New York Giants

More or less the same story as with Fletcher. Only major different is that Thurmond didn’t have a good last season because he got injured, and that makes me think the Giants might re-sign him as well as me thinking twice about signing him.

Draft:

Please note that I have used my own rankings in this mock draft. You might disagree with them but I will try to explain why I have those players in those spots. Again I have made both a primary suggestion and an alternate.

1. La’El Collins, offensive guard, LSU

I think Brandon Sherff out of Iowa is the best offensive guard-prospect in the draft but I don’t think Collins is that far behind. I think Collins is a monster at run blocking, and I think he is more than adequate as a pass blocker. I actually think he could stay at offensive tackle in the NFL, and even though I don’t think Bobby Massie should be benched I’m not blind to the idea that he might simply be replaced by a better player. To me, Collins should be utilized as a guard though, and I think drafting him would go a long way in upgrading the interior offensive line, which I think was a huge problem last season.

This selection would obviously not happen if the team signed a player like Orlando Franklin in free agency. However, I could see it happen even if they signed Stefen Wisniewski or Rodney Hudson, and I think that would upgrade the offensive line significantly in a short amount of time, and make it a strength in a few years.

Alternate: Owamagbe Odighizuwa, rush linebacker, UCLA

To me, there is not a more ideal outside linebacker-prospect to Bettcher’s defense in this year’s draft. Odighizuwa has all the skills and measurable Steve Keim looks for at the position, and since he has only played one season at the highest level in college, and on top of that is a physical freak, I think he could develop into something special.

2. Stephone Anthony, inside linebacker, Clemson

Too soon? Well, I am not completely opposed to that argument but at least to me he is worth it when it relates directly to the Cardinals. We know Bettcher’s defense won’t differ that much (if at all) to Bowles’, and that means inside linebackers such as Stephone Anthony will be deployed, and that they will be the primary pass rushers. Stephone Anthony is excellent at stopping the run, clogging run lanes, and chasing ball carriers from behind. He is also a skilled pass rusher, both from the edge and as a blitzer through the A-gap. In the games I have watched he has continuously impressed me as a coverage linebacker, and his ability to follow tight ends should be a selling point to Arians and Keim.

Alternate: Daryl Williams, offensive guard, Oklahoma

If La’El Collins is not on the board in the first round (which I actually doubt he will be), I could see Daryl Williams being an option. I think he is somewhat of a poor man’s La’El Collins.

3. Lorenzo Mauldin, rush linebacker, Louisville

I think Mauldin does many things at a fairly high level but I don’t know that he does anything extremely well, and that’s the reason I have him rated this relatively low. However, I do think he is comparable to Okafor coming out of Texas, and thus a natural fit in the defensive scheme.

I like the idea of his red dreadlocks flying around in a red uniform.

Alternate: Za’Darius Smith, rush linebacker, Kentucky

I think Smith is a project, and that he won’t have much of an impact for at least one season. He does have potential though, and I particularly think his great length will be attractive to Keim and Arians.

Alternate: Ty Montgomery, wide receiver, Stanford

I’ve added another alternate to this selection because I think Ty Montgomery is highly intriguing. Many analyst are down on him because he had a poor week at the Senior Bowl but none of them seems to either realize or care about that he has never looked like a #1 receiver. It has NEVER been a possibility, at least not to me, that he could be a team’s primary wide-out, and I think it’s blown out of proportions that he struggled with dropped passes at the Senior Bowl simply because that has ALWAYS been an issue with him. I think he is intriguing because 1 – several months ago Arians talked about how he would like to have a similar player to Ellington who obviously is a runningback that can be a very good receiver as well. Ty Montgomery is the opposite, and was actually a very good runningback in high school, and 2 – because I think Ty Montgomery is the best return man in the draft. He is extremely dangerous with the ball in his hands.

4. Max Garcia, center, Florida

If the Cardinals sign Wisniewski or Hudson in free agency I would still be excited with this pick. Max Garcia has extended experience as an offensive guard, and though I like him best as a center I also think he could start at guard in the NFL. I might think more highly of Garcia than others but I really think he would be a great building block to any team.

An added bonus to this pick (along with a free agent-signing of a guard or a higher draft-selection of a guard) could be that Jonathan Cooper would be scared that the team had decided to invest in his replacements. Maybe that could push him to find his level pre-injury.

Alternate: Ramik Wilson, inside linebacker, Georgia

Two years ago Ramik Wilson was seen as the heir to Alec Ogletree who got drafted in the first round, and even though I don’t think Wilson is as good a prospect as Ogletree were they are not that different in playing style. Wilson is fast, he can run sideline-to-sideline, and he can cover rather well. Two seasons in a row he has the most solo-tackles on the team, and two seasons in a row he ranks among the top five in both tackles for loss and sacks on the team. I think he is a dynamic linebacker that might develop into more in the future but at least as a start could be used as a spy on Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick, and probably would be a pretty good special teamer as well.

5. Malcolm Brown, runningback, Texas

Well, I have not changed opinion on who I would draft as a runningback since my last mock draft. It would, however, change if the team signed Darren McFadden in free agency. I think Brown can be a better pro- than college-player with a better offensive line in front of him, and I think he would be a very good fit as a complement to both Andre Ellington, Stepfan Taylor and Kerwynn Williams.

Alternate: Damien Wilson, inside linebacker, Minnesota

Wilson WAS the defense at Minnesota. They also has a pretty good cornerback by the name of Eric Murray but the fact remains that whatever happened on that defense went through Wilson. He was the captain, he called out the plays, he made sure everyone was lined up correctly, and he was more often than not the first guy to the ball carrier. He diagnoses plays quickly, reacts properly most of the time, and is skilled at blitzing the A-gap.

6. Josh Shaw, cornerback, USC

If you don’t know the story the short version is that Shaw got injured, told his coaches, teammates, the authorities and everyone else that it was because he jumped down from a balcony to save his nephew from drowning. The true story was the he jumped from the balcony to avoid police officers who were there to investigate a loud discussion between Shaw and his girlfriend. So he lied to the whole world, and made sure that everyone close to him would call him a hero before he for some reason admitted the lie. I could see him slide this far in the draft simply because teams might be very doubtful that they can trust Shaw.

He is talented, though. Very talented in fact. He can play both cornerback and safety, and he is the type of player the Cardinals like to utilize at cornerback, as I wrote regarding Bradley Fletcher and Walter Thurmond in my free agency-scenario. Someone will give Shaw a chance, and since it only takes one team, he could easily be drafted way before this spot.

Alternate: Ray Hamilton, tight end, Iowa

I think you could argue that Hamilton is the best blocker of all the tight ends in this class. At Iowa they didn’t use him a lot in the passing game but he showed occasionally that he is quite reliable on shorter throws. I think the team is pretty much set at tight end with John Carlson, Troy Niklas and Darren Fells but I also think that especially Carlson is replaceable. I could see them adding one or two tight ends either through free agency or the draft, if for nothing else then to compete with the others at training camp.

7. James Vaugthers, inside linebacker, Stanford

I like Vaugthers. I think he is a very intelligent football player (duh, he’s from Stanford) who rarely makes mistakes, almost always is in the right spot, and understand things like leverage and angles. Only problem is I don’t think he has the athletic ability the be a starter so I really don’t think he will be drafted higher than this spot if he is drafted at all. I would like to have him on the roster, though, and I think he could at least be good on special teams.

Alternate: Bryan Thomas, rush linebacker, Bowling Green

It’s pretty much the same reason as with Vaugthers. I think Bryan Thomas has some good aspects to his game but I don’t think they are good enough for him to warrant a starting spot. I would like to get him to training camp, though, and maybe he will emerge as a good special teams-player if nothing else.

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very much agree with Foote. While at the end of bis career, it sure seemed like he put everything he had into it. No idea if he is coach material. Sowell, I dunno. If memory serves me right I don't think he played a snap all year.

Nice read. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
With the official announcement of James Bettcher as the defensive coordinator, and the more reports we get about potential free agent-targets I think we now have a somewhat decent picture of what the offseason might look like for the Cardinals. With that said, I can pretty much guarantee that I won’t be right with this guess. :) It makes for fun speculations and discussions, though.

I wanted to get this out before the Scouting Combine next week since that will chance a lot, and this is still only my opinion based of what I have seen in games. I think that’s the most important part but I also think you have to factor in what happens at the Scouting Combine. Not long ago I posted my first mock draft in which I selected Paul Dawson, linebacker, TCU in the first round. When I made the pick I didn’t know a whole lot about his character-concerns. I still don’t but now I do know enough to not using a first round-pick on him. That’s another thing that could change after the Scouting Combine.

My focus in this scenario was still on strengthening the run game and the linebacking corps. I’m not good at numbers so I haven’t made any guesses on contract, salary and that stuff. I tried to make every move independent of other moves I have suggested but a few places I didn’t succeed. I will write it in those instances.

Re-sign:

Dan Williams

I think Williams has become quite important to the defensive line. Last season I thought he was a monster on first and second down, as he was not only very good at clogging running lanes but also showed that he can move lateral to bring down opponents or collapse the pocket from various angles, and I thought he even showed that he could chase down opponents down the field. I really hope he doesn’t see the open market.

Sam Acho

To me, Acho is a good player to have on the roster since he seems to be a nice guy that the team really appreciates, and I think he’s a pretty good player as well. I don’t think he will ever become a sack artist but that’s okay with me since he can do a lot of the things outside linebackers are asked to in the scheme. At the end of last season he even played some snaps at inside linebacker, and though that might be due to almost everyone else at the position being non-existent for different reasons, I think it’s an interesting thought going forward.

Mike Leach

He’s reliable, he’s probable not going to break the bank, and he’s been with the organization for a long time. Why wouldn’t you want to keep him?

Tommy Kelly

He might have been signed in the first place because of a lack of depth at the position, and because he didn’t cost that much but I think he outplayed those circumstances. I realize there is a lot of competition at the defensive line, and that guys such as Ed Stinson, Kareem Martin and Josh Mauro probably are the future but I think Kelly brings leadership and experience to go with a high level of play, and I don’t want to lose him just yet.

Paul Fanaika

I really hope that Fanaika is not a starting guard next season but that doesn’t mean I think he would be bad to have on the roster. He probably won’t be too expensive to re-sign, and I would like to have him at least through training camp to challenge some other players, and maybe even teach them a thing or two after his time as a starter.

Bradley Sowell

Basically, I would like to re-sign Sowell because of the exact same reasons I just wrote regarding Fanaika. I simply think he could be an asset in training camp, and maybe as a fringe player on the roster during the season.

Larry Foote

Whether it is as a player or a coach, I don’t want to lose Foote’s wealth of experience, leadership and knowledge of Bettcher’s defense – not to mention his knowledge of defensive football in general.

Alameda Ta’amu

I’m not sure about this one. I thought Ta’amu played very well when he came over from the Steelers but that’s a long time ago. I just wanted to mention him.

Free agency:

I have made both a suggestion on a signing, and a possible alternate. Obviously, most of the activity essentially depends on Larry Fitzgerald but I have a good feeling they will get his contract restructured, and I thought it was exiting the read that Michael Bidwill wants to go after a big time-acquisition like Jared Veldheer was last year (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...agree-restructured-deal?ex_cid=espnapi_public).

Darren McFadden, runningback, Oakland Raiders

It’s been reported that the Cardinals could go after McFadden, and I think that could potentially be a coup by Steve Keim and Bruce Arians. McFadden is the big back they don’t have to spell Andre Ellington, and even though McFadden has been very injured doing his NFL-career, he has also shown rare abilities in many occasions. You could also argue that if he had not suffered those injuries he might not be a possibility in free agency.

Alternate: Ben Tate, runningback, Pittsburgh Steelers

Well, the Cardinals did put in a waiver claim when the Texans released Tate. I actually don’t think he is that good but if Arians and Keim wants him I would not have any problem with it.

Orlando Franklin, offensive guard, Denver Broncos

I would not spend a lot on an offensive guard in free agency since I think there will be some very good ones in the draft, and I would rather take my chances on developing one of those than using a good amount of cap space on an expensive veteran. That said, if the Cardinals do target an offensive guard in free agency, Orlando Franklin could be that guy. It would definitely merits Bidwill’s talk about a huge free agent-signing. The Broncos have a lot of potential free agents such as tight end Julius Thomas, wide receiver Demayrius Thomas, defensive tackle Terrance Knighton and safety Rahim Moore who are all going to command big money, and even though Franklin was their best offensive lineman last season it could make him the odd man out.

Alternate: Will Rackley, offensive guard, Baltimore Ravens

Rackley has never been the success he was thought to become when entering the league. He would, however, be the kind of free agent-signing I would want to make at the position because he most likely won’t get a big contract, and I think he has enough potential to warrant a spot on the roster in training camp. Who knows? Maybe he pans out.

Rodney Hudson, center, Kansas City Chiefs

First off, I would like to say that I think the center-position is severely underrated. The center is the only player that without any doubt will touch the ball on any offensive snap, he usually makes all the pre-snaps call on the offensive line, and he has to have a very distinct relationship with the quarterback (or whoever lines up as the quarterback on some trick plays), not to mention he needs to work countless hours every year with the quarterback because of exactly that.

ProFootballFocus graded Hudson out to be the third best center in the NFL, and the only one to grade out positively in every category, and though their offensive line-rankings are doubtful at best, probably every Chiefs-analyst or fan of the team would tell you that Rodney Hudson was their best offensive lineman last season. He has been somewhat injury-prone throughout his NFL-career but he has nonetheless started the last 31 of 32 games the last two seasons.

So why would the Chiefs let him walk? Well, I don’t think they should either but they are very close to the salary cap-limit, and they do have many other potential free agents such as a certain Justin Houston.

Alternate: Stefen Wisniewski, center, Oakland Raiders

In this case my alternate is actually my first choice. I just don’t see why the Raiders wouldn’t want to do everything in their power to keep Wisniewski other than, you know, that they are the Raiders. I think Wisniewski is highly talented, and if he were to hit the open market, I actually think the Cardinals would have an edge if they targeted him because Carson Palmer and Jared Veldheer are on the team. That’s two guys Wisniewski knows very well, have spent a lot of time with, and literally have fought alongside. I would like Wisniewski to be Michael Bidwill’s and Steve Keim’s major free agent-signing.

By the way, I thought it was interesting that the Cardinals worked out Brett Jones who was named the top offensive lineman in the CFL last season (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Giants-to-sign-CFL-offensive-lineman-Brett-Jones.html). Maybe it say something about the Cardinals wanting to upgrade the position. Or maybe it simply says something about Steve Keim always looking for talent everywhere, which in itself I think would be pretty exciting.

Jabaal Sheard, rush linebacker, Cleveland Browns

I think Sheard is nearly the prototypical rush linebacker in Bettchers’ defensive philosophy. Sheard is big, he’s strong, he can set the edge, he can stop the run inside, and he has at least some pass rush in him. I don’t know how good he is dropping into coverage but on the other hand it’s not like Okafor, Acho or the other players at the position are asked to drop further back than the shorter zones. I think Sheard should be able to do that.

Sheard’s playing time and production took a hit last season as the Browns primarily used their huge free agent-acquisition Paul Kruger, and their first round pick, Barkevious Mingo. None of them was that good but I don’t think they will give up on them just yet, and though that obviously doesn’t mean they are giving up on Sheard either, I think it might push him to look for a fresh start somewhere else.

Alternate: Brooks Reed, rush linebacker, Houston Texans

Brooks Reed strikes me as an evident candidate in Bettcher’s defense as well. He’s not going to register dozens of sacks each year but he’s strong against the run, he’s disciplined, he’s hard working, and he never gives up on a play.

The Texans have another linebacker, Whitney Mercilus, as a potential free agent as well, and he played better last season than Reed so I think they might want to focus on re-signing him. They also have the overall first pick from last year, Jadeveon Clowney, and maybe that’s enough for them to let Reed test the market.

Brooks Reed is from Tucson, Arizona, and went to the University of Arizona so maybe the Cardinals would have an advantage there as well if they wanted to sign him.

Justin Durant, inside linebacker, Dallas Cowboys

This is Catfish’ idea all the way, and I’m buying it. I think Durant could be a very good inside linebacker with the Cardinals as he has a lot of the traits they usually deploys in the system.

As with offensive guard I am lukewarm to the idea of spending big money on inside linebackers in free agency because I think there is many attractive options in the draft. I don’t know that Durant would command a big contract though.

Alternate: Mason Foster, inside linebacker, Tampa Bay Buccanneers

Foster is basically the same type of player as Durant, and his success in the NFL is nearly identical as well.

Bradley Fletcher, cornerback, Philadelphia Eagles

I think Cromartie is gone as soon as free agency opens up, and I’m not that willing to put all my hope in Justin Bethel. Bethel might be a good player, and he might become a star someday, but at least for now he is somewhat of an unknown at the position to me.

Fletcher is the type of player the Cardinals like at cornerback as he is big, strong, physical with the opponent, good at bump’N’run, good at re-directing receivers, and likes to participate against the run. He didn’t have a good season with the Eagles, and most team-analyst seem to think they will let him walk. I think he could be a target to Keim as Fletcher is not only the right type of cornerback but also has a history in the NFC West.

Alternate: Walter Thurmond, cornerback, New York Giants

More or less the same story as with Fletcher. Only major different is that Thurmond didn’t have a good last season because he got injured, and that makes me think the Giants might re-sign him as well as me thinking twice about signing him.

Draft:

Please note that I have used my own rankings in this mock draft. You might disagree with them but I will try to explain why I have those players in those spots. Again I have made both a primary suggestion and an alternate.

1. La’El Collins, offensive guard, LSU

I think Brandon Sherff out of Iowa is the best offensive guard-prospect in the draft but I don’t think Collins is that far behind. I think Collins is a monster at run blocking, and I think he is more than adequate as a pass blocker. I actually think he could stay at offensive tackle in the NFL, and even though I don’t think Bobby Massie should be benched I’m not blind to the idea that he might simply be replaced by a better player. To me, Collins should be utilized as a guard though, and I think drafting him would go a long way in upgrading the interior offensive line, which I think was a huge problem last season.

This selection would obviously not happen if the team signed a player like Orlando Franklin in free agency. However, I could see it happen even if they signed Stefen Wisniewski or Rodney Hudson, and I think that would upgrade the offensive line significantly in a short amount of time, and make it a strength in a few years.

Alternate: Owamagbe Odighizuwa, rush linebacker, UCLA

To me, there is not a more ideal outside linebacker-prospect to Bettcher’s defense in this year’s draft. Odighizuwa has all the skills and measurable Steve Keim looks for at the position, and since he has only played one season at the highest level in college, and on top of that is a physical freak, I think he could develop into something special.

2. Stephone Anthony, inside linebacker, Clemson

Too soon? Well, I am not completely opposed to that argument but at least to me he is worth it when it relates directly to the Cardinals. We know Bettcher’s defense won’t differ that much (if at all) to Bowles’, and that means inside linebackers such as Stephone Anthony will be deployed, and that they will be the primary pass rushers. Stephone Anthony is excellent at stopping the run, clogging run lanes, and chasing ball carriers from behind. He is also a skilled pass rusher, both from the edge and as a blitzer through the A-gap. In the games I have watched he has continuously impressed me as a coverage linebacker, and his ability to follow tight ends should be a selling point to Arians and Keim.

Alternate: Daryl Williams, offensive guard, Oklahoma

If La’El Collins is not on the board in the first round (which I actually doubt he will be), I could see Daryl Williams being an option. I think he is somewhat of a poor man’s La’El Collins.

3. Lorenzo Mauldin, rush linebacker, Louisville

I think Mauldin does many things at a fairly high level but I don’t know that he does anything extremely well, and that’s the reason I have him rated this relatively low. However, I do think he is comparable to Okafor coming out of Texas, and thus a natural fit in the defensive scheme.

I like the idea of his red dreadlocks flying around in a red uniform.

Alternate: Za’Darius Smith, rush linebacker, Kentucky

I think Smith is a project, and that he won’t have much of an impact for at least one season. He does have potential though, and I particularly think his great length will be attractive to Keim and Arians.

Alternate: Ty Montgomery, wide receiver, Stanford

I’ve added another alternate to this selection because I think Ty Montgomery is highly intriguing. Many analyst are down on him because he had a poor week at the Senior Bowl but none of them seems to either realize or care about that he has never looked like a #1 receiver. It has NEVER been a possibility, at least not to me, that he could be a team’s primary wide-out, and I think it’s blown out of proportions that he struggled with dropped passes at the Senior Bowl simply because that has ALWAYS been an issue with him. I think he is intriguing because 1 – several months ago Arians talked about how he would like to have a similar player to Ellington who obviously is a runningback that can be a very good receiver as well. Ty Montgomery is the opposite, and was actually a very good runningback in high school, and 2 – because I think Ty Montgomery is the best return man in the draft. He is extremely dangerous with the ball in his hands.

4. Max Garcia, center, Florida

If the Cardinals sign Wisniewski or Hudson in free agency I would still be excited with this pick. Max Garcia has extended experience as an offensive guard, and though I like him best as a center I also think he could start at guard in the NFL. I might think more highly of Garcia than others but I really think he would be a great building block to any team.

An added bonus to this pick (along with a free agent-signing of a guard or a higher draft-selection of a guard) could be that Jonathan Cooper would be scared that the team had decided to invest in his replacements. Maybe that could push him to find his level pre-injury.

Alternate: Ramik Wilson, inside linebacker, Georgia

Two years ago Ramik Wilson was seen as the heir to Alec Ogletree who got drafted in the first round, and even though I don’t think Wilson is as good a prospect as Ogletree were they are not that different in playing style. Wilson is fast, he can run sideline-to-sideline, and he can cover rather well. Two seasons in a row he has the most solo-tackles on the team, and two seasons in a row he ranks among the top five in both tackles for loss and sacks on the team. I think he is a dynamic linebacker that might develop into more in the future but at least as a start could be used as a spy on Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick, and probably would be a pretty good special teamer as well.

5. Malcolm Brown, runningback, Texas

Well, I have not changed opinion on who I would draft as a runningback since my last mock draft. It would, however, change if the team signed Darren McFadden in free agency. I think Brown can be a better pro- than college-player with a better offensive line in front of him, and I think he would be a very good fit as a complement to both Andre Ellington, Stepfan Taylor and Kerwynn Williams.

Alternate: Damien Wilson, inside linebacker, Minnesota

Wilson WAS the defense at Minnesota. They also has a pretty good cornerback by the name of Eric Murray but the fact remains that whatever happened on that defense went through Wilson. He was the captain, he called out the plays, he made sure everyone was lined up correctly, and he was more often than not the first guy to the ball carrier. He diagnoses plays quickly, reacts properly most of the time, and is skilled at blitzing the A-gap.

6. Josh Shaw, cornerback, USC

If you don’t know the story the short version is that Shaw got injured, told his coaches, teammates, the authorities and everyone else that it was because he jumped down from a balcony to save his nephew from drowning. The true story was the he jumped from the balcony to avoid police officers who were there to investigate a loud discussion between Shaw and his girlfriend. So he lied to the whole world, and made sure that everyone close to him would call him a hero before he for some reason admitted the lie. I could see him slide this far in the draft simply because teams might be very doubtful that they can trust Shaw.

He is talented, though. Very talented in fact. He can play both cornerback and safety, and he is the type of player the Cardinals like to utilize at cornerback, as I wrote regarding Bradley Fletcher and Walter Thurmond in my free agency-scenario. Someone will give Shaw a chance, and since it only takes one team, he could easily be drafted way before this spot.

Alternate: Ray Hamilton, tight end, Iowa

I think you could argue that Hamilton is the best blocker of all the tight ends in this class. At Iowa they didn’t use him a lot in the passing game but he showed occasionally that he is quite reliable on shorter throws. I think the team is pretty much set at tight end with John Carlson, Troy Niklas and Darren Fells but I also think that especially Carlson is replaceable. I could see them adding one or two tight ends either through free agency or the draft, if for nothing else then to compete with the others at training camp.

7. James Vaugthers, inside linebacker, Stanford

I like Vaugthers. I think he is a very intelligent football player (duh, he’s from Stanford) who rarely makes mistakes, almost always is in the right spot, and understand things like leverage and angles. Only problem is I don’t think he has the athletic ability the be a starter so I really don’t think he will be drafted higher than this spot if he is drafted at all. I would like to have him on the roster, though, and I think he could at least be good on special teams.

Alternate: Bryan Thomas, rush linebacker, Bowling Green

It’s pretty much the same reason as with Vaugthers. I think Bryan Thomas has some good aspects to his game but I don’t think they are good enough for him to warrant a starting spot. I would like to get him to training camp, though, and maybe he will emerge as a good special teams-player if nothing else.

Dan Williams would be my number one priority, after this Fitzgerald mess gets straighten out!

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Holy cow Gandhi, that was very comprehensive and well thought out!

Very impressive reasoning behind all your players.

Just one thing....... $ $. ;)

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
What I like:

1. Free Agent Running back options

2. Re-signing Kelly, Fanaika, and Sowell as depth.

3. Drafting Ty Montgomery, and Max Garcia.

What I don't like:

1. Free agent cornerback options. Walter Thurmond is a nickel back, dime back corner, so he would be a replacement for Jerraud Powers if he gets cut, but he couldn't replace Cromartie, IMO. As for Bradley Fletcher, I live close enough to Philly to say he is just plain awful. I would put Justin Bethel out there before Fletcher.

2. Because of how tight the Cardinals are to the cap this year, I cannot see them spending money on the offensive line in free agency. At worse I can see the Cardinals starting this next year:

Veldheer
Cooper
Larson
Fanaika <--- What I would like to see is Max Garcia at RG.
Massie

3. Free agent pass rushers. I think with Alex Okafor on the roster that the pass rush has gone from an extreme need to just a need. Pass rushers in free agency are not cheap. Thus if the Caridnals DO think that a pass rusher is needed as badly as they needed a left tackle next season, that they will go after the big fish. Not a guy like Sheard or Reed. JMHO.

Great write up. I really enjoyed it and like the logic behind the plan.

Mason Foster <--- I gotta read up this guy. Actually, I have to read up on some middle linebackers around the league, there are so many that I am just clueless on. Thus when I think about the offseason I am missing a lot of options at the position that may bail the Cardinals out on paying big money or using a high draft pick at the position in a need based situation.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Outstanding effort, Gandhi!

You addressed all the needs and then some!

The choices I like best (a la Muffin):

NT Dan Williams
DE Tommy Kelly
LB Larry Foote
NT Alameda Ta'amu
G Orlando Franklin
C Rodney Hudson
OLB Jabaal Sheard
LB Justin Durant

If Steve Keim is able to address these spots in FA, then the draft can truly be a BPA at each spot.

I think we still need another pass rusher and we need more speedy playmakers on offense and at CB...and thus I would prefer such a draft to look like this:

1. Bud Dupree, OLB, Kentucky (This Bud's for you!)
2. Duke Johnson, RB, Miami (The Juke and Duke Show)
3. Antwan Goodley, WR, Baylor (Goodley and Plenty)
4. Dorian Grant, CB, Ohio St. (The Picture of Dorian Grant)

Then take the best OL & DL prospects and a big RB like John Crockett, North Dakota St.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff, lots of work put into your analysis. I like your draft. I don't think we will have enough money for your free agent choices. I also would like to see us get another qb in the draft as I really don't like Logan Thomas. Maybe Petty from Baylor on rd 4.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Really good work Gandhi, and I do mean work, because I know how much digging you have done to find people like Josh Shaw, and Ray Hamilton.

To begin with, I like your re-signs of current Cardinals for the same reasons that you divulge. These people will be very valuable come the work on two fields at the same time during OTA's and TC. They already know the system and can teach newbies as they go along on the field. The are also good depth, as most of them started for us as one time or another.

Like you, I really like going after Huston or Wisniewski. I hear that Huston will be tagged by KC, and thus I believe that we have a better chance at Wisniewski from Oakland, especially with the influence of Palmer and Veldheer here in the desert. Either would be a huge catch for the Cards at Center, and would anchor this line for years in the middle. That done, then the finding of guards who can pass protect AND run-block like La'el Collins gets easier in the draft and free agency. If we could sign Wisniewski in free agency, then draft Collins, we might have created a super O-line for many years. That makes ALL our weapons better, because the QB is protected and the holes will be there to run through.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Let me throw in another name because people are acting like he no longer exists... I want Dockett back along with Dan Williams :)

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gandhi, as everyone else has posted this is a quality post. It amazed me how long it was when I saw the entire thing quoted because it read so quickly for me.

I look forward to you after the combine post!