Anyone else thinking we should draft a QB?

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I will preface this with I'm putting a very low chance of using an early round pick on a QB, but if it were my team to run I would be exploring it.

Even though I have been putting all of my hope on Rosen to hit the ground running and making the case for him being a franchise level QB, I did not have high hopes for him even being decent in the NFL, let alone great. I was not excited about him as the choice for QBOTF, but since it was made to seem like it was almost a free-roll, there was really only upside, why not? Taking a chance is better than sitting on your hands.

He flashed in preseason, which is really means nothing in retrospect, but at the time gets your hopes up. He flashed in a couple of the early starts, but it only seemed better than it was due to the ineptitude of the offense until that point. Overall, he has played really poorly.

But there are reasons to give him an out...
- His rookie year... there have been QBs with bad rookie years that turned it around the next.
- Bad coaching... don't need to explain this.
- Oline isn't very good... don't need to explain this either.

I don't think any of those individually are big enough to excuse his play. A rookie should get better, not worse as the year goes on. Bad coaching has little to do with the turn overs, missed throws, holding the ball too long, bad reads or missed opportunities. The oline isn't great, but there are QBs (even rookies) getting pressured nearly as often that are playing well. Palmer had a worse oline, so let's not pretend like Rosen doesn't have an oline blocking for him. Making plays under pressure is what separates good QBs from bad ones. Anyone can be a franchise QB against air.

If some think the culmination of all of those is a good enough to reason to bank on next year being a turnaround for Rosen I won't fault you at all, because there is precedent for it to happen. I just personally put the odds at being long. New coach, new players, new plays... I don't think it is going to take him from worst QB to top 16.

If you recall, everyone basically argued that this was a gimme with the way the pick worked out, so even if he didn't work out it was no big loss. I feel like some have morphed a free-roll into the idea he has to work out, he's our only chance, we've got so much invested and he just has to be the QBOTF no matter what happens.

I'm of the mindset that we need hedge our bet on Rosen and not after two or three seasons... we need to hedge that bet for next season. To what degree I think depends on how certain you are he will or won't succeed.

I haven't dug into the draft enough to know if it makes sense to *me* to trade down and be able to use the extra picks to take a early QB or use our high pick on a DL or OL player and take a value QB late. I know if I could have my cake and eat it too it would be that Haskins wasn't projected so high that we could get a good situation to be able to get what we needed early and pick him up in the 2nd round. That guy has been dropping dimes in tight coverage from his very first snap with rarely making a mistake or bad read. He's on a whole next level and is a pure passer with a quick release and NFL arm strength.

Anyone else thinking we should draft a QB, and what part of the draft and/or who are you interested in?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Remember when we drafted Steve Pisarkiwiez & had Jim Hart then did it again with Kelly Stouffer & had Lomax?

Not a chance in hell

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No blue chip top ten QB's in this draft.

Give me the best defensive front 7 player with our first pick and the O-lineman on the board with our second pick. This a meat and potatoes draft no big time flashy offensive guys.

Bosa or Quinnen Williams please

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No. Get Rosen a competent OC and revamp the OLine. If they have the 1st pick they should take Bosa. After that, whatever best player available is on the board on the next picks. They need help almost everywhere so NO stretches with small school guys (if Keim survives the season).

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The season has been such an abortion in so many ways that I think you have to give him one more season. He looks bad, but so does everything else. He should get one more look as we rebuild the team. If we take a QB at the top, unfortunately next year will look a lot like this one, since we didn't use our draft capital to change anything else.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't mind Rosen supporters fooling themselves, but do they have to try to fool the rest of us. Simply put, yes we have a QB, and he is the League's worst.

wagonmound464

Rookie
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Since Fitz is most likely not to return,,, pick the best, tallest, wide R'er available to catch 'Hail Mary' passes because that's all we got to show and have a chance to win a game with this team, as it is. The Cards need more than one draft pick can help with... What a sad product they put on the field now.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely look at a mid round QB for back up/clipboard carrying spot. I do not believe this draft has glitter and gold QB candidates at the top but mid round I see some possibilities. Can the Cards afford to carry a $10 million QB for backup after next year. QBs in the near future will become valuable as the current crop is aging.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's why it's critical to hire a HC that understands the QB position. I think McCarthy would be a great hire for that reason alone. Am I completely sold on Rosen? No. Even at UCLA, he was too inconsistent for my liking. But, the kid has a smooth release, big arm, and all the measurables to be very good. Just not sure if he's an Aaron Rodgers or a Jeff George. I really enjoyed watching Haskins this year. The kid seems to be a freak throwing the rock. Is there a guarantee he'll be great in the NFL? No. So, draft defense at the top, because that's where the elite talent is this year. More importantly, bring in an offensive minded coach who can work with Rosen. He just can't do worse than what we saw this year & he just might be a LOT better than he currently looks.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
This team is so bad, and so poor on so many levels, from the owner down to the water boy that I cannot even answer the question.

What should the Cardinals do in the draft ? What should they do in free agency ?

Fire the coach, fire the GM.

Replace the coach with who ? I dunno

Replace the GM with who ? I dunno.

Its a mess, and for the first time in about 20 years, I do not care.

This is not the Same Ol' Cardinals, the organization is ............ trying. It is more like this organization is taking the role of where the Browns have been for the last decade.

Josh Rosen = Tim Couch

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely premature and foolish to judge Rosen on this crap of a season,Lousy HC,Poor OC,Destroyed OLine,Only 2 NFL quality WRS,No real TEs,,,,,the fact that he has been able to survive at all in this pile of crap is amazing .There isn`t another QB in the league who has had this much of a sh*tstorm thrown at them,..Not Josh Allen,Not Mayfield,not Darnold...not a one has had the situation Rosen has had.He has survived...IMHO he gets a mulligan for this season.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes, in the late rounds. Give Rosen a training camp study buddy to learn the new offense.

Rosen also needs to spend as much productive time as possible in the Cards VR simulator.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Rosen will never do what Bradford has already done - dropping and blaming Sam was stupid - he deserved the same leash after 2 years off and the injury- on a bad coached team- yea if the new coach wants a new qb - should get it with this pick.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, I don't think we should draft a quarterback next year. Many quarterbacks make a big leap from their rookie season to their second season. If Rosen fails to improve significantly next year, then we should use a high pick on a quarterback in 2020.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with our rookie QB, there is something wrong with his supporting cast. Look at Aikman, Manning, Goff and other pocket QBs when young, except for the rare exceptions as Marino... you do not judge a fledgling captain based on his performance in a 5 rated hurricane except if he can get out of it alive and was able to score a few times

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'll take a mid-late round QB to compete with Kanoff for the #3 next year but you don't give up on a talented 21 yr old kid after 1 season when the whole organization is a mess.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose