Antonio Brown to Cardinals? Trade speculation for Steelers wide receiver includes Arizona

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Unless a team gets a great deal for Brown, (like a 3rd rounder or less) then I don't see any team making a move until after free agency. It doesn't make sense to pull the trigger when you may be able to fill the position adequately from FA. Yes, I know he's an exceptional WR however he also comes with baggage and age.

The teams will have to make a move earlier, or they won't get him. Brown's due a sizeable roster bonus sometime mid-March, and the Steelers aren't going to pay him that and then trade him. If teams want him, they'll have to do it before then.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The teams will have to make a move earlier, or they won't get him. Brown's due a sizeable roster bonus sometime mid-March, and the Steelers aren't going to pay him that and then trade him. If teams want him, they'll have to do it before then.

So Brown comes with a big price tag is what you are saying. I would think that could be a negotiating point with the Steelers. Brown's price tag certainly doesn't play in their favor. I would take him for a third but would hesitate if the Steelers insisted on a second.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
only 2.5mil.... the difference being if they trade him before then they take the cap hit this year. waiting to trade him after the draft gives them some cap relief doesnt it? May be a matter of paying some cash in order to stay out of cap hell.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So Brown comes with a big price tag is what you are saying. I would think that could be a negotiating point with the Steelers. Brown's price tag certainly doesn't play in their favor. I would take him for a third but would hesitate if the Steelers insisted on a second.

Pittsburgh has to take a non-transferable $21.1m CAP hit in 2019.

The trading team would pick up the remainder of his contract, which is salary.

-2019: $12.6m
-2020: $11.3m
-2021: $12.5m

Doubt that the last 3 years of his deal is going to scare off many teams.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Well that clears up a lot for me, I was under the assumption that the team acquiring Brown would also be on the hook for his bonus money. Then the thing you need to worry about is how Brown will act if he decides he's worth more than his present contract. I would assume that the Steelers have to pay Brown the remainder of his bonus to him in 2019. Presently he is the 2nd highest WR in the NFL. That includes his bonus money. Will he honor his contract or will he look to cash in trying to get more bonus money out of the new team.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well that clears up a lot for me, I was under the assumption that the team acquiring Brown would also be on the hook for his bonus money. Then the thing you need to worry about is how Brown will act if he decides he's worth more than his present contract. I would assume that the Steelers have to pay Brown the remainder of his bonus to him in 2019. Presently he is the 2nd highest WR in the NFL. That includes his bonus money. Will he honor his contract or will he look to cash in trying to get more bonus money out of the new team.

Of course, he'll attempt to renegotiate and I can imagine some team adding an extra year to the deal to amortize a new bonus.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Those are very reasonable numbers, even if he gives you 80-85% of his typical production the last 5 years. The dead money stays with the Steelers, and we get a comp pick if he walks in 3 years as a FA. Yeah he's a diva, but so are a lot of receivers.

OP
OP
LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Those are very reasonable numbers, even if he gives you 80-85% of his typical production the last 5 years. The dead money stays with the Steelers, and we get a comp pick if he walks in 3 years as a FA. Yeah he's a diva, but so are a lot of receivers.
Worth it to bring him in! Get 'er done Keim.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rather go after Odell Beckham jr

Oh I love him too I'd take either one but honestly Brown has a healthier recent history. I'm a huge OBJ fan but he's only played 16 games once, 16 total in the last 2 years combined.

He's 4 years younger than Brown so yeah if you can get him you do it, I just don't see the Giants trading him.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dump Fitzgeralds and get AB....YES!
If the Cards pay Fitz $7 mill as rumored for next year....Keim is a fool!

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Of course, he'll attempt to renegotiate and I can imagine some team adding an extra year to the deal to amortize a new bonus.
He can also hold out and we end up spending $30 million on a guy who is not playing. Sorry to say but I don't trust him. There is something about this whole ordeal that just stinks to me. Maybe he had some conversations with Bell and has some ulterior motive working here. Before I would consider trading for him I would have to have some ironclad guarantees so I know I am getting a player who is going to show up on the field every Sunday to play. I would love to see this guy in Cardinal red because he's one of the best right now and would prefer him over Fitz, but this gives me a bad feeling it could end up a disaster.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does the Air Raid offense require specialized skills/physical qualities from WR's that Brown, Beckham or other leading NFL receivers lack?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He can also hold out and we end up spending $30 million on a guy who is not playing. Sorry to say but I don't trust him. There is something about this whole ordeal that just stinks to me. Maybe he had some conversations with Bell and has some ulterior motive working here. Before I would consider trading for him I would have to have some ironclad guarantees so I know I am getting a player who is going to show up on the field every Sunday to play. I would love to see this guy in Cardinal red because he's one of the best right now and would prefer him over Fitz, but this gives me a bad feeling it could end up a disaster.

You can't 'hold out ' and get paid.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the Air Raid offense require specialized skills/physical qualities from WR's that Brown, Beckham or other leading NFL receivers lack?

No, that's the thing the Air Raid has allowed average QB's and WR's to put up great stats in college but when elite players are in that offense, they are still clearly elite players. OU for example has had some very good college WR's and QB's and they have been elite players in that offense.

One of teh biggest issues we had last year other than OL, was as a group our WR's couldn't get open, Kirk probably the best at it. Josh was young and struggling and constantly having to pick which tight window to fit it into with a pass rush too, made a ton of bad throws, high throws, bad decisions. Improving the OL and getting him a guy like Brown or OBJ that can actually get open would be a godsend for him

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
You can't 'hold out ' and get paid.

True, however Bell did it so why can't Brown? He's going to get a neat $21MM if he's traded. I think he can live off of that for a year. If they have a smart money manager they shouldn't be living off of their year to year paycheck anyhow, especially guys like Brown who are pulling in big money.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
True, however Bell did it so why can't Brown? He's going to get a neat $21MM if he's traded. I think he can live off of that for a year. If they have a smart money manager they shouldn't be living off of their year to year paycheck anyhow, especially guys like Brown who are pulling in big money.

No, Bell didn't. He held out and will get a big deal, but he's never recoup the 14 mill+ he lost by sitting out a year. That just isn't going to happen. He'd need to get the outrageously high deal he wants--and might get it, or something near it--but with that 14mill+ ON TOP of that.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm still not clear why you think Brown would hold out?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave