Another defensive stat

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Looking at the standings just now, I noticed that except for GB and Seattle, who don't play until tomorrow, the Cardinals have given up the fewest points in the NFL with 40. Greenbay has given up 40 and would need to shut Seattle out to tie us. Seattle has given up 27 in two games and would have to hold the Packers to under 13 to beat us.

I'm impressed. There is no better defensive stat to me than points allowed.

A fan who cares

Veteran
Reaction score
Looking at the standings just now, I noticed that except for GB and Seattle, who don't play until tomorrow, the Cardinals have given up the fewest points in the NFL with 40. Greenbay has given up 40 and would need to shut Seattle out to tie us. Seattle has given up 27 in two games and would have to hold the Packers to under 13 to beat us.

I'm impressed. There is no better defensive stat to me than points allowed.

Emphasized for truth.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty freaking awesome.

We have so many great guys on defense. Man, I love this team. Thank you, Ray Horton.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I never want to have a bad d again. Great D is so freakin awesome.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I never want to have a bad d again. Great D is so freakin awesome.

Never understood the whole, "Offense is ratings". When a defense plays like this, it is just as entertaining.

Right now the defense is worth the ticket price.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Never understood the whole, "Offense is ratings". When a defense plays like this, it is just as entertaining.

Right now the defense is worth the ticket price.

Now you know why Pitt fans have always liked defensive games. When the D is good, it's fun to watch.
But admit it a 9-7 game isn't as fun as a 24 or 30pt game - especially when it's your team scoring ;-)

I still think Houston's D is better overall and ATL ain't bad either. Let's hope Dockett's hammy isn't too bad. He seemed to be walking fine on the sidelines after coming out.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Now you know why Pitt fans have always liked defensive games. When the D is good, it's fun to watch.
But admit it a 9-7 game isn't as fun as a 24 or 30pt game - especially when it's your team scoring ;-)

I still think Houston's D is better overall and ATL ain't bad either. Let's hope Dockett's hammy isn't too bad. He seemed to be walking fine on the sidelines after coming out.

I agree. A steady diet of punt, punt, interception, punt, fumble, punt, punt by both teams will put you to sleep. Defense is only fun when your team is stuffing the other team and your offense is scoring points.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just read the same thing from Jurecki: Cards are #1 in the NFL, giving up only 13.3 points per game.

I loved the high-powered Warner offense, but I always knew we were gonna get scored on. I think I'd rather have this defense, to be perfectly honest. I feel like we can win any game now.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved how the D killed the Eagles blitzing right up the middle. Flashed back to teams doing the same to the Cards.

NOTE: who played center in the season or two before Lyle S?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I loved how the D killed the Eagles blitzing right up the middle. Flashed back to teams doing the same to the Cards.

Alex Stepanovich, Nick Leckey & Al Johnson

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Cards have held 10 of their last 12 opponents to 20 points or less.

On offense the Cards have gone over 24 points in a game 6 times in the last 28 contests. The 2009 team scored over 24 points in half their games. 2008, 13 times in 20 games.

Talk about a 180 degree turnaround for a franchise.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Cards have held 10 of their last 12 opponents to 20 points or less.

On offense the Cards have gone over 24 points in a game 6 times in the last 28 contests. The 2009 team scored over 24 points in half their games. 2008, 13 times in 20 games.

Talk about a 180 degree turnaround for a franchise.

This just further enhances my belief that Whisenhunt is an awesome coach. HOF QB, HOF WR, we'll light up the league offensively and get to the SB. Check.

Warner retires. Most of our talent now lies on defense, let's lock these guys up financially and get a coordinator who will know what to do with them. Check.

Many good/great teams who've lost a HOF QB struggle for decades. Some are still struggling.

Whis recognized what he had and brought in the right guy to elevate them to the next level. When we had the Warner and Fitz/Boldin combo he brought in Haley to elevate their game. Now that we have Campbell, DWash, Peterson, he brings in Horton to elevate their game. That's what great coaches do.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
This just further enhances my belief that Whisenhunt is an awesome coach. HOF QB, HOF WR, we'll light up the league offensively and get to the SB. Check.

Warner retires. Most of our talent now lies on defense, let's lock these guys up financially and get a coordinator who will know what to do with them. Check.

Many good/great teams who've lost a HOF QB struggle for decades. Some are still struggling.

Whis recognized what he had and brought in the right guy to elevate them to the next level. When we had the Warner and Fitz/Boldin combo he brought in Haley to elevate their game. Now that we have Campbell, DWash, Peterson, he brings in Horton to elevate their game. That's what great coaches do.

You forgot the guy who really turned everything around. Sam Acho. 10-3 since he took over full time from Joey Porter. 18.07ppg allowed vs 25.1 in the 13 games before he took over. 13.3ppg since he became a veteran player instead of a rookie.

:D

:stick:

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You forgot the guy who really turned everything around. Sam Acho. 10-3 since he took over full time from Joey Porter. 18.07ppg allowed vs 25.1 in the 13 games before he took over. 13.3ppg since he became a veteran player instead of a rookie.

Yeah those are incredible #'s. Porter was truly awful. And I'm liking me some Acho.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Another odd stat from our defense. In the pass happy NFL they've allowed over 200 yards passing only 4 times in the last 11 games. While allowing over 100 yards rushing 7 times.

Reaction score
Another odd stat from our defense. In the pass happy NFL they've allowed over 200 yards passing only 4 times in the last 11 games. While allowing over 100 yards rushing 7 times.
:thumbup:
Like yesterday vs. the Eagles; In the second half especially, the Cardinals were willing to allow McCoy to run up the middle for decent yardage, but they had and continued to shut down Philly's passing offense.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The front 7 is by far one of the best in the nfl now, if not the best. The last two games they've virtually dominated the best pocket passer and best mobile qb in the league.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Wanted to add, per Somers:
OLB Acho played more than any other Cardinals on Sunday. 62/64 def snaps. 12 special teams plays.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

At least a couple of times, it looked as though different pass rushers were playing different roles - like DWash being the "bullet" (who'd go 100 mph toward Vicks's sternum without worrying too much about missing him because he knew that Calais would be there behind him as a spy to cover DWash's 6 and contain Michael should he escape the hit).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard