Another choke job by the Chargers

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone still had faith in Neil Rackers, if you watched the Chargers game, you shouldn't. Nate Kaeding, Chargers kicker who's been know to choke in the clutch, especially in the playoffs, just like Rackers had a splendid regular season, but what happened today, when it was time to be clutch again? Complete and utter failure. You're either a pressure player or you're not and Rackers, much like Kaeding are utter failures in crunch time.

If Rackers is brought back, I'll seriously start to question Wiz's thinking for the first time, which so far, has been top notch as far as I'm concerned. That's not to say Rackers is our biggest problem, but he can't be depended upon when a game matters and that first and foremost is his most important job.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone still had faith in Neil Rackers, if you watched the Chargers game, you shouldn't. Nate Kaeding, Chargers kicker who's been know to choke in the clutch, especially in the playoffs, just like Rackers had a splendid regular season, but what happened today, when it was time to be clutch again? Complete and utter failure. You're either a pressure player or you're not and Rackers, much like Kaeding are utter failures in crunch time.

If Rackers is brought back, I'll seriously start to question Wiz's thinking for the first time, which so far, has been top notch as far as I'm concerned. That's not to say Rackers is our biggest problem, but he can't be depended upon when a game matters and that first and foremost is his most important job.

Yeah, we are going to have to get rid of Wilson and Dockett also. No sacks from Dockett and Wilson allows a one legged man to score a TD against him.

Sure aren't going to have much of a team left next year.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Graham, Rackers, and Kaeding better be praying before they go to bed this offseason every night.

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
Kaeding is the hero for Rackers right now. The title for "worst kicker in the playoffs" goes to San Diego, not Arizona.

1. Kaeding (0-3), 1 long 57 yarder
2. Graham (0-2) all makeable
3. Suisham (1-3) all makeable
4. Rackers (1-1) plus KO out of bounds penalty

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Kaeding (0-3), 1 long 57 yarder
2. Graham (0-2) all makeable
3. Suisham (1-3) all makeable
4. Rackers (1-1) plus KO out of bounds penalty

Rackers missed two kicks, one in each game.

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
Rackers missed two kicks, one in each game.

hey your right - and he had 2 tries at that 50 yarder. I think his leg gave out on him. That was not the GW everyone was bitching about last week. but still counts

There don't seem to be any kickers that are immune to this problem - I wish they would eliminate field goals entirely and just award 7 points for a TD!

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Graham, Rackers, and Kaeding better be praying before they go to bed this offseason every night.
The whole problem with the kicker thing is that clutch kickers who come through in pressure situations and make kicks in the post season are typically not available for teams like the Cards to sign. Those guys just don't get cut.

So what happens is teams cut their kicker and then they have to reach into the pot of leftover retread kickers who were cut from their last team for not making kicks when they should have. It's just a revolving door.

What's the solution? You certainly don't waste a good draft pick on a kicker do you? Because a kicker is never that important to use a high draft pick on. Only the Raiders do that.

So instead of participating in musical kickers by cutting Rackers and picking up Graham or Kaeding or Suisham to also miss big kicks for us, maybe we just maintain the status quo and take advantage of the other intangibles that Rackers brings, like the occasional tackle, the on-sides kicks, and flawless regular season kicking. Then we hope we can build a team good enough that the kicker is irrelevant in the playoffs.

If you put your kicker in a position where he is the deciding factor of your season, you probably aren't a good enough team anyway.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Colts are not going to beat the Jets.

How ironic would it be if the Jets do in fact win next week. The Colts benching their starters are the oonly reason why the Jets made the playoffs & then the Jets knock them out of the playoffs. I used to actually like the Jets, but I can't stand their big-mouth coach & that pansy "greeny" from Mike & Mike. I still think that Manning will surgically take the Jets apart just like he did the Ravens.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
How ironic would it be if the Jets do in fact win next week. The Colts benching their starters are the oonly reason why the Jets made the playoffs & then the Jets knock them out of the playoffs. I used to actually like the Jets, but I can't stand their big-mouth coach & that pansy "greeny" from Mike & Mike. I still think that Manning will surgically take the Jets apart just like he did the Ravens.
From the Colts standpoint, this has worked out very well for them and they are probably very happy to have let the Jets into the playoffs.

The Chargers are the Colts' kryptonite and have beaten them 4 of the last 5 times they have played, including the last two years in the playoffs. The Jets doing their dirtywork and knocking out the Bolts is gravy for Indianapolis. I'm sure they feel pretty confident they can beat New York at home.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So what happens is teams cut their kicker and then they have to reach into the pot of leftover retread kickers who were cut from their last team for not making kicks when they should have. It's just a revolving door.

What's the solution? You certainly don't waste a good draft pick on a kicker do you? Because a kicker is never that important to use a high draft pick on. Only the Raiders do that.

Who was the first kicker selected in the 2009 draft?

Anyone? Anyone?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Honest question:

Who feels worse right now? Cardinal fans or Charger fans?

Is it better to go 10-6, and then win a playoff game before losing?

or

13-3, get a bye and lose your first playoff game in a very large upset?

I guess its a question of expectations. While I hoped the Cards would make it to the Superbowl, I frankly didn't expect it.

At 13-3, as a Charger fan -- you have to expect to make it to at least the conference title game.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honest question:

or

I guess its a question of expectations. While I hoped the Cards would make it to the Superbowl, I frankly didn't expect it.

At 13-3, as a Charger fan -- you have to expect to make it to at least the conference title game.

Easy..... the Chargers were much more disappointing. Their fans have to feel completely sick today.

Redmark

Registered
Reaction score
Honest question:

or

Chargers are my second favorite team, but I feel a lot worse about Cardinals not winning than them losing. They had homefield and a huge loud crowd on their side and blew it because of great Jets defense and terrible place kicking. We did win one, but barely. Scored 51 points and barely won in OT. That win was one for the ages so at least we have that good memory from a season that ended too soon.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Chargers are my second favorite team, but I feel a lot worse about Cardinals not winning than them losing. They had homefield and a huge loud crowd on their side and blew it because of great Jets defense and terrible place kicking. We did win one, but barely. Scored 51 points and barely won in OT. That win was one for the ages so at least we have that good memory from a season that ended too soon.

J E T S!

Has my man Brad Smith from Mizzou and the 46 defense!!!!

My team I'm rooting for the rest of the way.

The Jets play defense like it's supposed to be played, they make teams look like girls schools out there and that's how defense should be played, love it!

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Charger fans have to feel like crap because they have seen this movie before. That team simply does not know how to handle a bye week. Maybe they just screw off and go to the beach the whole time.

Three years ago, they go 14-2 and wrap up the #1 seed playing Martyball. Then proceed to lay down (or fail to after an INT that would have sealed the game) and lose to the Patriots in the Divisional round at home.

Two years ago, they finished 11-5 and got the #3 seed. They beat the Titans and Colts before getting stopped at New England to the then undefeated Patriots.

Last year, they came alive in the second half to finish 8-8 and steal the division away from Denver and took the momentum into the playoffs and once again stunned the Colts before losing at Pittsburgh to the eventual Champs.

This year, get another bye and do nothing with it. Another collapse to a wildcard team at home.

It brings out the rust vs rest debate, but for San Diego they were rusty, and IMO that is usually the fault of the coaches.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Honest question:

or

Chargers fans. Only Norv Turner could make Rex Ryan look like Bill Belichick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard