Annual Excuses For ASU Hoops Begin

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not really the same league

Welcome to an Arizona State nightmare. The football team is humiliated. The alumni are seething. And now everyone has to pay attention to basketball season, where the difference between two rivals is again painfully obvious.

This season, Arizona already has played Virginia, Michigan and Wake Forest. In five months, that could be a Final Four field.

Across the divide, Arizona State has played Jackson State, Delaware State and Texas-El Paso, and another season starts with a Tempe whimper.

"All the fans that are angry are 150 percent right," ASU Athletic Director Gene Smith said. "We need to upgrade our non-conference schedule. What's frustrating is that people don't understand how difficult that is for us."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/1128chinmusic1128.html

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I will have to respectfully disagree with Mr Smith on this one. The schedule has sucked for so long, I am afraid that ASU hoops isn't viewed any differently in this town than ASU women's hoops, or volleyball.

Off the top of my head, here are a few schools that shoot his theory to hell:

- BYU
- New Mexico
- UTEP
- New Mexico State
- Utah
- Colorado
- Wyoming
- Colorado State
- Air Force

Any one of those schools would meet ASU's terms for non-conference scheduling. Fans around here could relate to them and, improtantly, Fox Sports would more than likely pick them up as a regional broadcast.

The rationale for not playing UNLV is a joke because they never played them before Krueger.

And, once and for all, please tell me why ASU will not play Northern Arizona in basketball?

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good Point Wiz. Idont think it's as if the fans of ASU bball expect them to start putting up games against Kansas and DUke, but some regional competition of a higher quality surely wouldn't be much of a stretch. Wyoming has a good program, and CO seems to be on a bit of an upswing with their hot sh*t new freshman. And while those big 12 schools might be harder to nail down there is legit quality in the WAC as well.

ASU needs to step it up.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
schutd said:
I dont think it's as if the fans of ASU bball expect them to start putting up games against Kansas...

Just a couple of years ago, ASU played Kansas and it was a close game.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WizardOfAz said:
And this week they have games against Fairleigh Dickinson and Cal State-Northridge.

I'm predicting 2 W's!!

:fans:

:cool:

BIM

OP
OP
N

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
WizardOfAz said:
And, once and for all, please tell me why ASU will not play Northern Arizona in basketball?

And the thing about it is, ASU is paying these "ducks" decent money to come in here...if they have to pay for games, wouldn't it be nice to keep some of that money in state!?!

By the way, we all know the real reason ASU isn't play NAU any longer, don't we?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
maddogkf said:
Temple is always tough

Maybe for ASU, Temple has been an average Atlantic-10 team for years as evidenced by their losses against SEC powerhouses such as Auburn and South Carolina.

OP
OP
N

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cal State - Northridge.

Sun Devils eek out a one pint win over the mighty Matadors today in front of about 12 fans at ASU this afternoon.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
WizardOfAz said:
Anyone going to see the Devils play Fairleigh Dickenson at Wells Fargo tonight?

Anyone....hello?

I read they beat Fairleigh Dickinson by 8 points!! Does anybody even know Fairleigh Dickinson? These are the kind of games they should be winning by 30!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU beat Northwestern 90-55. :thumbup:

Braxton's one-handed slam over Northwestern's Mike Thompson was selected as ESPN's top play of the night Monday.

:fans:

:8-1:

Go Devils !!!

---------------------------

For Kate: The ASU women's team beat #8 UCONN (defending champs) 61-50. :cool:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
For Kate: The ASU women's team beat #8 UCONN (defending champs) 61-50. :cool:

You betcha!! I watched the game last night. Former teammate Kristen Kovesdy had a stellar game.. something like 14 points and about 5 boards.

It was a really good game. A bit sloppy with the passsing, but they hit the shots when they needed to and got some critical rebounds. :thumbup:

OP
OP
N

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They are all the way up to 40th in the Sagrin ratings after Monday's win.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Funny how ASU's "big wins" have come against .500 teams with a combined 14 losses.

Big test comes in two games - @Arizona

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Funny how ASU's "big wins" have come against .500 teams with a combined 14 losses.

We're one close loss from being 9-0. You guys got slammed by Virginia and who else (?) to be 8-2... :shrug:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, nevermind. I think it was Wake Forest by about 7.

You guys looked tough against the powerhouse that is ... Manhattan. :thumbup:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
We're one close loss from being 9-0. You guys got slammed by Virginia and who else (?) to be 8-2... :shrug:

Admittedly slammed by a ranked ACC team on the road and the #5 team in the nation 3000 miles from home by a basket. Please remind me to bump this thread when ASU loses in the NIT...again.

And we have beaten two ranked teams so far away from home.

OP
OP
N

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The thing of it is ASU Hoops continues to get screwed by whoever it is with the Athletic Department that sets the non-conference schedule. According to Sagrin the Devils strength of schedule is 239th in the country - that is an absolute freaking joke (Arizona's is best in the Pac-10, by the way at, 49th)! After all Ike has done for that program and he isn't even seen on TV before December 20th?!?

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NickelBack said:
The thing of it is ASU Hoops continues to get screwed by whoever it is with the Athletic Department that sets the non-conference schedule. According to Sagrin the Devils strength of schedule is 239th in the country - that is an absolute freaking joke! After all Ike has done for that program and he isn't even seen on TV before December 20th?!?

It is a joke, but as an alum/fan all I can do is support the team. We're 8-1...period...I can't change the schedule.