Sutton to call ASU hoops :(

HooverDam

Reaction score
http://thesundevils.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/102408aaa.html

Fox Sports Arizona Hires Daron Sutton As Its New Play-By-Play Announcer For ASU Men's Basketball
Sutton recently completed his second season with the Arizona Diamondbacks

Oct. 24, 2008

Fox Sports Arizona has hired Daron Sutton to be its new play-by-play announcer for Arizona State University men's basketball telecasts. Sutton, who is also the Arizona Diamondbacks play-by-play voice, will start his first season with the ASU on Nov. 14 when the Sun Devils make their season debut on Fox Sports Arizona against Mississippi Valley State.

Last season, Sutton did a pair of ASU games for Fox Sports Arizona and has previous college basketball play-by-play experience, working on the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee television package. He has worked in this capacity for the past three seasons and will do so again this year while also doing ASU games. In addition, he has handled Southeastern Conference men's and women's basketball telecasts.

He recently concluded his second season with the Arizona Diamondbacks and in that time has become regarded as one of Major League Baseball's best young broadcasters. Prior to moving to Phoenix to work for the D-backs in 2007, Sutton spent five seasons as the play-by-play announcer for the Milwaukee Brewers. He also spent two seasons calling Atlanta Braves games for Fox Sports South and another two years as the radio play-by-play announcer for the Anaheim Angels while also hosting the team's pre-game and post-game radio shows.

"Daron Sutton is a network announcer with a fine basketball background, both in the Southeastern Conference and as the voice of the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee," said Mike Roth, Fox Sports Arizona's Executive Producer. "He filled in for two ASU games last season and we were very pleased with the job he did. We look forward to having Daron help elevate the quality of Fox Sports Arizona's coverage of Sun Devil basketball."

As of now, there are six ASU games being produced for a local telecast by Fox Sports Arizona. These are the games Sutton will work alongside analyst Tom Kuyper:

Mississippi Valley State - Nov. 14 - 8:00 pm
Pepperdine - Nov. 23 - 2:00 p.m.
Idaho State - Dec. 23 - 12:00 p.m.
at California - Jan. 4 - 6:00 p.m.
Washington - Jan. 31 - 3:30 p.m.
Stanford - March 5 - time is TBA

The Sun Devils also have two other games televised by Fox Sports Arizona that will be produced by Fox Sports Northwest - at Oregon State (Feb. 7) and at Washington (Feb. 26). Arizona State will have seven national telecasts done by FSN, as well as the first three days of the Pac-10 Tournament. The national telecasts are Nebraska, BYU, Oregon State (home), Oregon (home), at Oregon, USC (home) and UA (home).
Fox Sports Arizona is also producing the ASU at UA game for a local telecast. Since it is being played at the UA, the network will use the Wildcats announce team of Dave Sitton/Bob Elliott along with Kuyper. In all, ASU will have 16 ASU games televised by Fox Sports Arizona or FSN this season.

Fox Sports Arizona televises the most regional sports action in the state and is the exclusive cable television home of the Arizona Diamondbacks, Phoenix Coyotes, Phoenix Suns, Arizona Cardinals, Arizona State University, University of Arizona, Northern Arizona University, Arizona Rattlers and Phoenix Mercury. Fox Sports Arizona is currently seen in 2.8 million households in Arizona & New Mexico and can also be seen across the country via home satellite services.

Yikes, well at least this should drive up ticket sales, no ones going to want to watch on TV now.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I realize I am in the minority... But I actually enjoy Sutton sometimes...

As long as he sticks with Basketball Commentary, and doesn't go off on tagents like what he ate for dinner the night before I think he is actually a pretty good play-by-play guy...

I think this could be a good thing.... IMO

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get him away from Mark Grace and he might be okay. I do like his sense of humor. Never heard him call hoops. He might be good at it or better than he is at baseball.

Regardless, start the season!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson