Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a word Yes. Now it is just how long.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All HDDVD has left are the 2 or 3 studios it paid to support them, and those deals end sooner than later.

Hope azsouthendzone has his crow ready, apparently he's got the kindling.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All HDDVD has left are the 2 or 3 studios it paid to support them, and those deals end sooner than later.

I personally thought that Warner would hold out even longer than they have. They were the key studio in the war, selling the most copies. Once they jumped ship, of course it will be over. They played it absolutely perfect. They are going to still make their money selling their discs, but they are going to make 250M plus to become Bluray exclusive. Why wouldn't they switch?

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I have a PS3 so I could care less and when HD DVD's go on clearance I'll buy em all. I like movies and it isn't like my HD DVD player or movies will self destruct and as someone who has experienced both HD DVD and Blu Ray, the only difference is that HD DVD special features are way better. Sony and Toshiba are both huge companies who care more about themselves than the consumer so they can both bite me. Other than that, I'm happy its over. It's about time. Although I would still say that Blu Ray has a monster battle ahead in its attempt to become anything more than a niche. I just watched "We are Marshall" on my PS3 and it upconverts so good that you really have to ask yourself if any of this really matters. $30 for a movie is stupid and the mainstream public will never buy into it at that price. I own 21 HD DVDs and 3 Blu Ray and I've only paid for 3 total.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a PS3 so I could care less and when HD DVD's go on clearance I'll buy em all. I like movies and it isn't like my HD DVD player or movies will self destruct and as someone who has experienced both HD DVD and Blu Ray, the only difference is that HD DVD special features are way better. Sony and Toshiba are both huge companies who care more about themselves than the consumer so they can both bite me. Other than that, I'm happy its over. It's about time. Although I would still say that Blu Ray has a monster battle ahead in its attempt to become anything more than a niche. I just watched "We are Marshall" on my PS3 and it upconverts so good that you really have to ask yourself if any of this really matters. $30 for a movie is stupid and the mainstream public will never buy into it at that price. I own 21 HD DVDs and 3 Blu Ray and I've only paid for 3 total.

The MSRP on DVDs is still $20 and $25 at a lot of places.

I have never paid for than $15 for an HD movie, and I pretty much don't pay for than $5 a regular DVD. Both have pretty much come to a standstill though.

Being fiscally responsible sucks.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The MSRP on DVDs is still $20 and $25 at a lot of places.

I have never paid for than $15 for an HD movie, and I pretty much don't pay for than $5 a regular DVD. Both have pretty much come to a standstill though.

Being fiscally responsible sucks.

Yeah but MSRP and the price you pay for a DVD is entirely different. You can walk into Blockbuster and buy four previously viewed movies for $20. Circuit City runs buy any movie for $5 deals all the time. Most of the time you are paying around $30 for HD. The price difference is big, but what I think is bigger is that J6P has an HDTV without HD even connected. I don't know if this will ever go mainstream because I don't know if it really offers mainstream America something they really need or care about. DVD was a HUGE step from VHS. Blu Ray isn't nearly as big of a step above DVD. Like I said, upconverted DVDs look good and I don't even know if J6P cares about upconversion. Its a long road ahead for Blu Ray. Without geeks like us who view HD like crack where would it be?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but MSRP and the price you pay for a DVD is entirely different. You can walk into Blockbuster and buy four previously viewed movies for $20. Circuit City runs buy any movie for $5 deals all the time. Most of the time you are paying around $30 for HD. The price difference is big, but what I think is bigger is that J6P has an HDTV without HD even connected. I don't know if this will ever go mainstream because I don't know if it really offers mainstream America something they really need or care about. DVD was a HUGE step from VHS. Blu Ray isn't nearly as big of a step above DVD. Like I said, upconverted DVDs look good and I don't even know if J6P cares about upconversion. Its a long road ahead for Blu Ray. Without geeks like us who view HD like crack where would it be?

Not me. I wait for $14.99 HDDVD sales from Walmart, or B1G1 free sales at major retailers. It is also a reason why I buy TONS of my movies and stuff online where the prices will always be cheaper.

I know that I am not the average consumer, but I won't put up with those prices, and would have never gotten into HD initially if it weren't for the cheap HDDVD hardware, and free movies.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not me. I wait for $14.99 HDDVD sales from Walmart, or B1G1 free sales at major retailers. It is also a reason why I buy TONS of my movies and stuff online where the prices will always be cheaper.

I know that I am not the average consumer, but I won't put up with those prices, and would have never gotten into HD initially if it weren't for the cheap HDDVD hardware, and free movies.

I think you are definitely the exception, not the rule. Wal Mart shoppers aren't smart enough to shop around. They need them right in front of their face so they can grab a movie after they grab their beer.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give it time.

Studios will slowly convert over to BR from DVD. Eventually you will only be able to buy BR.

I would think buying VHS movies is becoming harder every year. Not done yet but harder. Same will happen with DVD over time.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give it time.

Studios will slowly convert over to BR from DVD. Eventually you will only be able to buy BR.

I would think buying VHS movies is becoming harder every year. Not done yet but harder. Same will happen with DVD over time.

I am not sure that is in the near furture though. Do you really need "Over Board" or "One Crazy Summer" on BR? I think they will continue to focus on new releases and some warrented older movies.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sure that is in the near furture though. Do you really need "Over Board" or "One Crazy Summer" on BR? I think they will continue to focus on new releases and some warrented older movies.

Exactly. It will take atleast 5 years before BR takes over. They are going to focus on newer releases, and bluray is still hundreds of times more expensive than DVD to manufacturer.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. It will take atleast 5 years before BR takes over. They are going to focus on newer releases, and bluray is still hundreds of times more expensive than DVD to manufacturer.

Plus it is not like when DVD took over for VHS. DVD's and BR's can play in the same player, so if you own a BR player, you DVD's are still good and IMO good enough for certain types of movies for the time being.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think comparing VHS to DVD is not a good comparison. DVD was a HUGE step over VHS with chapter accessibilty and picture. Blu isn't as big of a jump.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think comparing VHS to DVD is not a good comparison. DVD was a HUGE step over VHS with chapter accessibilty and picture. Blu isn't as big of a jump.

Sorry, that is what I was trying to say. Because of that, older titles are not as important as is was from VHS to DVD.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Streaming HD Content will make HDDVD and BR obsolete before the standard is set. With Modern DVR's and multimedia setups becoming the norm through most entertainment subscriptions the winner of the HD war will see a short lived victory (IMO).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Streaming HD Content will make HDDVD and BR obsolete before the standard is set. With Modern DVR's and multimedia setups becoming the norm through most entertainment subscriptions the winner of the HD war will see a short lived victory (IMO).

No way you will be able to stream that much data with current broadband internet streams. Uncompressed audio for example is about 20Mbps, and that's just the audio. No internet connection that we have is anywhere near that. Maybe in 10 years.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
No way you will be able to stream that much data with current broadband internet streams. Uncompressed audio for example is about 20Mbps, and that's just the audio. No internet connection that we have is anywhere near that. Maybe in 10 years.

I actually meant downloadable... Check Netflix they are supposed to be launching HD downloadables in the next few months...

I'll look for the link.... I just watched this long report at the vegas convention that noted three sources for downloadable HD movie services.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually meant downloadable... Check Netflix they are supposed to be launching HD downloadables in the next few months...

I'll look for the link.... I just watched this long report at the vegas convention that noted three sources for downloadable HD movie services.

It won't really catch on, except for the uber-techy. (who most likely already have HD/BR) You download a 30GB HDDVD or a 50GBBluray? I'd say that there is a good amount of the public that does not have 50GB of hard drive space free. You'd have to have a terabyte hard drive. It's just not feasible. This doesn't even talk about the hours, upon hours of downloading to get 50GB of data.

No way in hell this happens in the next 3 years at least, closer to 5+.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my provider

http://www22.verizon.com/content/co...wins+fios+vs+cable/who+wins+fios+vs+cable.htm

The maximum download package in my area is 40Mbps

I am currently at 30 down 5 up.

Fiber is good, and would help a lot in the steaming content arena, but still doesn't solve the downloadable content that you are speaking of. Less than 10% of the country has access to fiber for example. Assuming all of that 10% gets it and uses it to download HD, you are still looking at not even coming close to overtaking Bluray in the HD format war.