Paramount & DreamWorks Support HD DVD ONLY

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bad analogy. UMD was/is only competing with itself. Sony wasn't competing with another format.

UMD competed with SD DVD, which Blu-ray and HD DVD are in a way competing with. I'm sure a lot of PSP owners asked why they would want to pay the same price for a UMD that they would be paying for a SD DVD and decided the tiny screen wasn't that great for movies. Consumers right now ask if the picture quality is worth 10 extra bucks a disc and another 3-5 hundred for a player, and most are saying no. If Blu-Ray were to fail, PS3 owners would still have their games, and that is what the machine, I think, was primarily made for, just like the PSP. Although I'm sure Sony will fight to the death for Blu-Ray considering the stakes this time around.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UMD competed with SD DVD, which Blu-ray and HD DVD are in a way competing with. I'm sure a lot of PSP owners asked why they would want to pay the same price for a UMD that they would be paying for a SD DVD and decided the tiny screen wasn't that great for movies. Consumers right now ask if the picture quality is worth 10 extra bucks a disc and another 3-5 hundred for a player, and most are saying no. If Blu-Ray were to fail, PS3 owners would still have their games, and that is what the machine, I think, was primarily made for, just like the PSP. Although I'm sure Sony will fight to the death for Blu-Ray considering the stakes this time around.

I guess you could say that the UMD competed with portable DVD players, but I don't think so. Sony created a prioprietary format for itself to use, just like the minidisc.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Steeldog, when are you getting an HDDVD player?

I am actually going to get the Dual player as soon as it hits the store shelves. I still might pick up a a 360 HD DVD player and an entry level Blu-Ray for the other rooms until prices come down. However, I will be first in line for the Samsung dual player.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like there might be some legitimacy to the Warner Brothers move to HD DVD. Steve Nickerson from what I understand was a driving force for the dual format disc format Warner was trying to push. He left which might be a sign that the idea has flopped.

Everything is still rumor but Nikerson's departure more then likely is signaling a change in direction for Warner. If this happens this will be another huge blow to Blu-Ray.

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/warner-bross-steve-nickerson-leaves/4692
Warner Bros.'s Steve Nickerson leaves

What's New
By Henning Molbaek
FIRST PUBLISHED Aug 24, 2007 In these HD tense news days, everything gets interpreted and guessed upon. So what does it mean when Steve Nickerson leaves Warner Bros.

Steve Nickerson was VP of worldwide high-definition at Warner Bros. and a strong supporter of the studio's neutral stance regarding HD DVD and Blu-ray.

Is his decision a sign of change? Rumors say that Warner Bros. are close to making a similar move to what Paramount did recently: HD DVD only.

However, the studio says that is pure speculation at the moment. "This is not about a change in strategy. This is completely his call, and he will be missed. He is smart and a workhorse," said a WB Spokesman according to Video Business.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So it sounds like there might be some legitimacy to the Warner Brothers move to HD DVD. Steve Nickerson from what I understand was a driving force for the dual format disc format Warner was trying to push. He left which might be a sign that the idea has flopped.

Everything is still rumor but Nikerson's departure more then likely is signaling a change in direction for Warner. If this happens this will be another huge blow to Blu-Ray.

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/warner-bross-steve-nickerson-leaves/4692
Warner Bros.'s Steve Nickerson leaves

What's New
By Henning Molbaek
FIRST PUBLISHED Aug 24, 2007 In these HD tense news days, everything gets interpreted and guessed upon. So what does it mean when Steve Nickerson leaves Warner Bros.

Steve Nickerson was VP of worldwide high-definition at Warner Bros. and a strong supporter of the studio's neutral stance regarding HD DVD and Blu-ray.

Is his decision a sign of change? Rumors say that Warner Bros. are close to making a similar move to what Paramount did recently: HD DVD only.

However, the studio says that is pure speculation at the moment. "This is not about a change in strategy. This is completely his call, and he will be missed. He is smart and a workhorse," said a WB Spokesman according to Video Business.

He was a supporter of the neutral stance, but only because he was anti-Blu-Ray. He has been a huge HD-DVD supporter because his previous company was Toshiba (who develops HD-DVD). Supporting the neutral stance was not a sign of support for both formats, it was a sign of not wanting to be exclusive to Blu-Ray.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was a supporter of the neutral stance, but only because he was anti-Blu-Ray. He has been a huge HD-DVD supporter because his previous company was Toshiba (who develops HD-DVD). Supporting the neutral stance was not a sign of support for both formats, it was a sign of not wanting to be exclusive to Blu-Ray.

That's very well possible and makes sense. He was at the forefront of pushing the Blu-Ray/HD DVD on one disc format. His motives really don't matter though in the end. None of the other studios are clean in that regard. I would argue that many studios made allegiances based on back door dealing versus their "true" belief that one format is so superior to the other.

The timing of this announcement is very interesting. It comes on the heals of the rumors that Warner is about to announce HD DVD exclusivity. It also probably means that Warner had zero luck trying to license the tech to others.

Something tells me this next 6 months is going to be very very interesting.

Last edited:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you think that is personal then you are waaaay too sensitive. But you never did explain the statement that Fox was going to announce shortly that they were Blu-Ray exclusive and that you had some inside knowledge to back it up, even though they announced that a long time ago. I'm just curious to your inside knowledge of the situation. I am curious at to what insight you have in the format war.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If you think that is personal then you are waaaay too sensitive. But you never did explain the statement that Fox was going to announce shortly that they were Blu-Ray exclusive and that you had some inside knowledge to back it up, even though they announced that a long time ago. I'm just curious to your inside knowledge of the situation. I am curious at to what insight you have in the format war.

I didn't know that Fox had already stated their intentions in the format war. So I was definitely wrong about that. Of course, they are exclusively supporting Blu-Ray whenever they announced it, so that doesn't diminish my point.

You obviously think I'm in denial, probably because I don't agree with your opinion. That's pretty personal. We disagree, fine. Leave it at that.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I didn't know that Fox had already stated their intentions in the format war. So I was definitely wrong about that. Of course, they are exclusively supporting Blu-Ray whenever they announced it, so that doesn't diminish my point.

You obviously think I'm in denial, probably because I don't agree with your opinion. That's pretty personal. We disagree, fine. Leave it at that.

No, I am seriously asking what kind of insider info you have. I know you are in H-wood and you made a movie. You said, "believe me, I know" earlier and I just want to pick your brain as to why you think BR will win based on your angle.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No, I am seriously asking what kind of insider info you have. I know you are in H-wood and you made a movie. You said, "believe me, I know" earlier and I just want to pick your brain as to why you think BR will win based on your angle.

Ah ok. The "Believe me, I know" comment was specific to Warner Bros. And some people here know, but I actually work for them.

Now, IF Warner goes to HD-DVD exclusively (I don't know if they will 100%, but I doubt it), then Blu-Ray will have an uphill battle. Strangely enough, the war might end up in the hands of the hardware manufacturers rather than the studios. The fact that a big HD-DVD supporter in the company has stepped down can mean that the powers that be might be looking at trying to go exclusive to try to end the war, and if that's the case, then I find it disheartening for the HD-DVD supporters that the guy stepped down. I wonder if the execs were hinting that they may be in favor of Blu-Ray.

Again, I don't know that. But I do know that if Microsoft has to bribe Warner Bros. like they did Paramount, it will take more money to do so, since Warner Bros. is consistently voted the #1 DVD distributor in Hollywood. I hold a very minority view on this board in that I don't think the format war is good, because if it is prolonged, there will always be the thought that one of the formats will not survive. Without the certainty, the studios won't make as much money. I know people that are turning away from not only high definition, but regular DVD as well, because of all this posturing and while some people here think it's great, retailers are not thinking it's great, and I'm just waiting for the time when retailers start picking one format over the other.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah ok. The "Believe me, I know" comment was specific to Warner Bros. And some people here know, but I actually work for them.

Now, IF Warner goes to HD-DVD exclusively (I don't know if they will 100%, but I doubt it), then Blu-Ray will have an uphill battle. Strangely enough, the war might end up in the hands of the hardware manufacturers rather than the studios. The fact that a big HD-DVD supporter in the company has stepped down can mean that the powers that be might be looking at trying to go exclusive to try to end the war, and if that's the case, then I find it disheartening for the HD-DVD supporters that the guy stepped down. I wonder if the execs were hinting that they may be in favor of Blu-Ray.

Again, I don't know that. But I do know that if Microsoft has to bribe Warner Bros. like they did Paramount, it will take more money to do so, since Warner Bros. is consistently voted the #1 DVD distributor in Hollywood. I hold a very minority view on this board in that I don't think the format war is good, because if it is prolonged, there will always be the thought that one of the formats will not survive. Without the certainty, the studios won't make as much money. I know people that are turning away from not only high definition, but regular DVD as well, because of all this posturing and while some people here think it's great, retailers are not thinking it's great, and I'm just waiting for the time when retailers start picking one format over the other.

So far, Target has said that they will support Bluray and not HDDVD.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So far, Target has said that they will support Bluray and not HDDVD.

Players not discs. I seriously doubt people are going to Target to rock a $500 Blue-Ray player. That deal was pretty worthless IMO. If it was Best Buy, Circuit City, or Wal-Mart (with a cheap player) it would be notable. I mean does anyone really buy electronics at Target? I think what will decide the war is price coupled with available titles. Sony will not be able to compete with that for awhile, unless they are willing to drop the PS3 again which is doubtful. Blu-Ray is the PS3. Sales of stand alones are inexistant and there lies the problem for Blu_ray. The masses (and that is the end goal) are not going to adopt a video game machine as their movie player as maybe some enthusiasts have. And now the absence of Paramount will further ensure the masses won't adopt Blu-RAy. I bought into HD DVD for one thing only, price, and on the technical side, most HD DVDs (300 for example) have better specs than Blu-Ray. If they could show the masses one reason why Blu-Ray is better (not disc size, they don't even know how to program it anyway and Joe 6 pack doesn't care, he wants to SEE the difference not read about it) Blu-Ray has always been about 2 things, the PS3 and the format. HD DVD is only about movies.

I am of the belief that the war was good to drive down price, but it would probably be a good thing for it to end soon. I think HD DVD is in a big position to end it now. Microsoft could end this war tomorrow if they wanted to by simply buying the victory. But if the movie studios looked at what it would take for mass adoption, I think they would see that HD DVD is closer to the price to manufacture and to sell. I think the industry is starting to come to their senses. Paramount/ Dreamworks have said as much. If Warner goes red, I think the writing is on the wall. But if sub-$200 players emerge at Wal-Mart at Christmas and all over, I don't see how studios such as Disney, if they really want the war to end, could ignore the value and sell to the family masses "buy the PS3 even though it is way more expensive even though you will notice no difference between the less expensive HD DVD." Remember, this is about mass adoption war, not the early adopter video game player war, and people like our parents will NEVER BUY A PS3. The lead that Blu-Ray has in disc sales is about 2.1 million to 1.5 million HD DVD discs sold. That is a pretty pathetic attach rate and shows that the only reason the BD movies sell at all is the PS3s numbers, not necessarily that PS3 owners are buying a lot of movies. I hope the industry does the right thing and dumps Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray will live on with the PS3 but the standard should go to HD DVD. I think if the studios really care about mass adoption of high def like they say they do, they'll follow Paramount. I'm happy to see HD DVD pulling serious punches now.

OK, there is my rant.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Target will continue to carry HD DVD discs, HD DVD players (including 360 HD DVD drives). However, the prime isle displays will belong soley to Blu-Ray.

In addition, FOX is only Blu-Ray and will remain that way for some time. Fox is the exclusive distributer for MGM titles. Sony who owns MGM basically awarded FOX sole distribution rights. In return there is no way FOX releases anything on HD DVD as long as that deal is in place.

Also, the dual disc format was Nikerson's baby. So if it flopped then it makes sense that he left. He could have been forced to leave if it turned out to be an expensive disaster. I seriously doubt his reasons for leaving are because Warner was going to go Blu-Ray and he is so anti-Blu-Ray that he decided to quit over it. Then again I guess anything is possible This format war is getting ugly.

I don't agree though that Blu-Ray is done. Far from it. Blu-Ray still has some major backing for now. I still see this as pretty even unless Warner does in fact go HD DVD exclusive. Hopefully, we hear something soon.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I agree that both could fail (and I wouldn't be surprised), but I completely disagree that the Paramount deal is the end of Blu-Ray. That's an alarmist point-of-view because we still don't know what kind of response Sony will make to this, and you can bet a lot of money that they will address it, and in a big way.

I bet right now Sony's money men are talking to all the other studios like Warner Bros. and Disney about how to keep them interested in Blu-Ray. It's now a money matter--who will pay how much money. That's when this war becomes a complete joke because it is no longer about the product.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that both could fail (and I wouldn't be surprised), but I completely disagree that the Paramount deal is the end of Blu-Ray. That's an alarmist point-of-view because we still don't know what kind of response Sony will make to this, and you can bet a lot of money that they will address it, and in a big way.

I bet right now Sony's money men are talking to all the other studios like Warner Bros. and Disney about how to keep them interested in Blu-Ray. It's now a money matter--who will pay how much money. That's when this war becomes a complete joke because it is no longer about the product.

I agree with that statement Chap. By no means is this announcement the end of Blu-Ray. All this really does is keeps HD DVD a legit threat and now as big a player IMO in the format war. I will change my tune a bit if Warner or Disney goes the other way exclusively.

Also, this format war wasn't about product the moment that the HD DVD & Blu-Ray conference fell apart when negotiating the unification of the two standards. When that happened this was destined to be about money and not about the products themselves.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose