And the BR HD War continues

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was horribly, terribly wrong about this.

But I also didn't see Sony outlaying a half a billion dollars in payouts to secure the win, either.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was horribly, terribly wrong about this.

But I also didn't see Sony outlaying a half a billion dollars in payouts to secure the win, either.

Me neither. I expected 250-300M, but still.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's not forget how HDDVD got studios to support them in the first place.

Yep.

It's like playing poker with Bill Gates. No matter how good you are, eventually you will go broke, because he has more money than you.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah. In Microsoft's attempt to buy Yahoo, they might have to borrow money for the first time in the company's history.
If you're playing poker with Bill Gates...he pretty much has an endless supply of money. I didn't say nothin' 'bout Microsoft.

(oh, and watch it..."Microsoft" is three syllables. Don't go overachieving & break out a 4-syllable word. The 5 year olds will be confused).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which isn't all together true since microsoft was HDDVD... and they lost.

Yeah......Sony bluffed them out of the pot by betting 500 million at the turn. Should have raised.

(oh, and watch it..."Microsoft" is three syllables. Don't go overachieving & break out a 4-syllable word. The 5 year olds will be confused).

Onomatopoeia

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ORIGIN late 16th cent.: via late Latin from Greek onomatopoiia 'word-making', from onoma, onomat- 'name' + -poios 'making' (from poiein 'to make')

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:mulli:

Origin of your better half's fauxquote.
I thought you meant origin of the word, too.

It was a really weak joke, in that "kabloowey" could be loosely construed as an onomatopoeia, and zebes is a bit of a jerk to dcr.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
I just think digital will be the near future, not today, not tomorrow but also within 3 to 5 years...

Moving parts will be gone for movies, imo, expansion of current media will make DVD's of any kind obsolete. Not necessarily downloadables but even purchased on a higher capacity SD card, or similar.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2007/01/_32gb_sd_cards_in_2008_1.html

Imagine your entire movie collection fitting in a box the size of an old single VHS tape box.

As far as the Fiber optic thing goes, I had no idea it was not available that widely. Cox, AT&T, Verizon.. I thought it was becoming the standard...

I just saw a commercial with a 52" television advertising the SD card input for watching HD movie content (think it was a Toshiba)... Panasonic now also offers Viera models with SD slots for HD... One Link

I still see this as the future rather than the scratchable HD DVD or Blu-Ray backward technology...

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just saw a commercial with a 52" television advertising the SD card input for watching HD movie content (think it was a Toshiba)... Panasonic now also offers Viera models with SD slots for HD... One Link

I still see this as the future rather than the scratchable HD DVD or Blu-Ray backward technology...

I agree, just as the future of computers is SSD (solid state drives). No moving parts, fast throughput

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn