Amare to Have Arthroscop Surgery

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I couldn't help but think if this would make a Marion trade more likely or less likely. Right now I believe trading Marion is less likely because the Suns will need him more than ever and the spotlight will shine brightly on him. However, this does not answer the lingering question mark about an extension which IMO the Suns will not give... at least for the money he wants.
If you could get a big for (I don't know who) for Marion, would you do it?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you could get a big for (I don't know who) for Marion, would you do it?

Absolutely if I could get near value for Marion. The Suns definitely need a 4/5 and hopefully a player that can provide more depth in the front court, probably at SF. However, the Suns have shown they can survive without Amare for a year so the question arises, how far can the Suns change their line up and remain a contender? This is a huge consideration.

I think conventional wisdom says keep Marion unless the Suns can get a quality big in return.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Right now, the only thing that showed there was something wrong was that it swelled up a little bit. Nothing about a lot of pain or anything, just some minor swelling, according to the report. No need to jump off the cliff quite yet.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
Monday Night Football

"They told Greg Oden it was minor and now he's out for the full year"

Heh heh .................

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This freaking sucks. You have to feel really bad for Amare, who seems like a really good tough hardworking guy.

If this turns out to be something big, I wouldn't expect this team to play as well as it did 2 years ago without him. They have no Thomas on their roster. Kurt and Tim were HUGE parts of their success.

I don't care how well the cards dbacks and Devils are doing right now, AZ sports is in a bad place.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
interesting. i had a brother have a very similar procedure. he broke his knee cap (just down the middle) and about a month after that healed they found swelling and a small chip of bone floating around his knee, presumably from the break. after the surgery, he was back at work in just under 2 weeks. it's very minor from what i know, so 2-3 weeks seems very rational

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
If Amare were to miss the rest of the year - I'd seriously think about starting fresh. That means trade Marion for Odom and Cook - AND - use that 8 million trade excemption to get a trade with the Cavs for Anderson Varajao sign-n-trade.

Varajao / Skinner
Odom / Diaw
Hill / Tucker
Bell / Barbosa
Nash / Banks

11- Cook
12- Strawberry
13- Piatkowski
IR- Amare

How does that sound?

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
If Amare were to miss the rest of the year - I'd seriously think about starting fresh. That means trade Marion for Odom and Cook - AND - use that 8 million trade excemption to get a trade with the Cavs for Anderson Varajao sign-n-trade.

Varajao / Skinner
Odom / Diaw
Hill / Tucker
Bell / Barbosa
Nash / Banks

11- Cook
12- Strawberry
13- Piatkowski
IR- Amare

How does that sound?

we made it to the WCF (and nearly won them) without amare. i think we can do fine without him depending on who we play in the post season. now that we have grant hill, i think this team is incredibly hard to match up to.

fordronken

Reaction score

Varajao / Skinner
Odom / Diaw
Hill / Tucker
Bell / Barbosa
Nash / Banks

11- Cook
12- Strawberry
13- Piatkowski
IR- Amare

How does that sound?

You realize you have to give something back in a sign and trade, right? I'm not giving up the Atlanta pick for him, either.

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
You realize you have to give something back in a sign and trade, right? I'm not giving up the Atlanta pick for him, either.

CAVS GET:

-8 Million Trade Excemption
-Sean Marks

SUNS GET:

-Anderson Varajao (re-signed for 36 million / 4yrs)

How's that sound?

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
No. We already have our 9 million a year mistake. Lets not add another one.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Everything with the Suns is 2-3 weeks...3-4 months for more serious stuff. Yeah they always give the most optimistic prognosis...ESPECIALLY just before the season starts and they're looking to sell season tickets.

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
If you don't understand what he meant, there's no use explaining it to you.

Wow. A bunch of clueless people running up and down these boards.

If Anderson Varajao is considered "a mistake" player (aka not very good) then I sure as hell want to know what Nash is to some of you people: just an above-average role player?

Hmm. Varajao is better than Diaw and more. The man is one of the top young centers in the league. And u dismiss him as "a mistake" ?

Un-friggin-believable. Somebody hose me down with more alcohol please.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The doctors are expecting a full recovery in TWO-TO-THREE WEEKS!? I don't pretend to be a doctor, and despite the fact that I have been better at predicting recovery times than the Suns doctors in the past, I might still be inclined to give them the benefit-of-the-doubt based on their 30 years of medical experience and my zero minutes as such.

However, I am wondering what they base this prognosis on? Was there a quote in any of the articles that said something like: "The Suns doctor said that the surgery is very minor, and as such, he predicts that Amare will have the fastest recovery of any professional basketball player ever."

Has anyone ever recovered from knee surgery in 2 weeks? Again, I've never had surgery, but I have stubbed my toe on one or two chairs going to the bathroom at night, and it usually takes about 2 weeks to heal up completely. So how do they cut into his knee and expect it to heal perfectly and fully - and I'm hoping they want his knee to do just that - in two weeks?

Does anybody here watch the show "Heroes"? In the show, there's a character named Claire Bennett who has a superpower where she can heal almost instantaneously after she breaks bones, gets huge cuts, falls from a tall building, etc. Maybe the Suns doctors have just been watching that show a lot lately and forgot how long it takes for normal people to heal? That's the best explanation I can think of.

if it's truly a minor arthroscopy (which i doubt) 2-3 weeks is possible with great medical attention. the incisions are tiny - usually 2 centimeters. just enough to slide a tiny camera and a tiny tool into. and if it's just shaving cartilidge (sp?) the tool is just this little instrument with teeth on it. healing time is relatively minimal.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it's truly a minor arthroscopy (which i doubt) 2-3 weeks is possible with great medical attention. the incisions are tiny - usually 2 centimeters. just enough to slide a tiny camera and a tiny tool into. and if it's just shaving cartilidge (sp?) the tool is just this little instrument with teeth on it. healing time is relatively minimal.

adam thinks he's out at least a month.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, but you know he and pops will be pessimistic. i'm expecting a month. okay, i'm expecting the year. crap.

did you talk to dad? did he say a month also? bottom line, he ain't gonna be Amare until January and we've got no KT or any other serviceable back-up to take the slack for solid minutes (and please, don't give me Skinner - everyone knows he's been brought in for minimal duty for the most part and some duty vs. the Spurs). And we're gonna be playing Ankles McBrokenstein more minutes than he's played in 7 years... great start to the season.

I never thought I'd say this the day before Suns training camp opened... thank God for the D-Backs and the Cardinals right now!

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Wow. A bunch of clueless people running up and down these boards.

If Anderson Varajao is considered "a mistake" player (aka not very good) then I sure as hell want to know what Nash is to some of you people: just an above-average role player?

Hmm. Varajao is better than Diaw and more. The man is one of the top young centers in the league. And u dismiss him as "a mistake" ?

Un-friggin-believable. Somebody hose me down with more alcohol please.

LOL we're clueless?

varajao has no offensive skills, and is only a hustle player who can rebound well on both ends. his defense is average if you're stretching it. he is essentially joakim noah without the stupid sideways shot