All time Suns scoring leaders

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by offset, Jul 14, 2019.

1. offset

offset i have a special purpose

I saw this and thought it was super cool. Couldn’t figure out a good thread to share it in so I just created one:

2. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

Thought I'd post this here. This is the first thing I was going to look up after finishing that video, how far is Booker from 8000. Turns out that it was asked on Twitter in response to that post already. If Booker can stay healthy this season, and score like he did last season, he could hit 8000 points. He'll need to surpass Majerle to place on that list but that will come a game or two after hitting 8000 because Majerle is at 8034. To hit 8000 it will require he average 26.6, which is what he averaged last season.

Chambers holds the Suns single season scoring average at 27.2 right now, which is a number that could be in jeopardy if Booker is healthy all year. He was on a tear late last season and made a good run at surpassing that before he got sat for the final few games.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    offset likes this.
  3. 95pro

95pro Registered

That is pretty cool, funny how there's no movement once Nash's points settle in, been hell since 2012.

4. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

If Steve Nash had played his whole career here, he would lead the Suns scoring.

5. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Same with Michael Jordan.

6. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Señor Caca Cabeza Contributor

I don't think he would but he would be high on that list. Think of all of the extra points he would have helped Marion, Stoudemire, and others get if their whole Suns tenure was with Nash. I think his effect on their scoring would outweigh his own own scoring contributions so we'd see him in the top 5 but not at the top. He'd probably be much higher in the all time assist category as well.

7. Mainstreet

I looked at his stats in Dallas and I think Nash would have lead the Suns in scoring if he spent his entire career here.

8. Mainstreet

Michael Jordon didn't play for the Suns so I'm missing the point.

9. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

He need 2,215 to pass Dan Majerle for #10 on all-time scoring list

10. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

But is he any good? (The eye roll I have when people say that)

11. Ouchie-Z-Clown

And Steve Nash didn’t play his entire career for the suns. Pretty sure if Barkley played his entire career for the suns he would’ve lead them in scoring. Or if stat did and never got hurt. Or if, or if . . . I added Michael Jordan bc there can always be an “if” that falls outside of reality - why draw the line at when a player was traded and was later resigned? Just seems like a weird comment. Of course if a player plays more games with a specific team he has a greater likelihood of being the team leader in scoring. I guess I just don’t see the point in the “what if” exercise. Not attacking you, just seemed odd to me.

12. Mainstreet

The Michael Jordon comment seemed more off the wall to me. The same with Barkley.

The Suns drafted Nash so it was not a reach to think what he could have accomplished if he had remained a lifetime Sun like Alvin Adams.

13. Ouchie-Z-Clown

“Could have” is a fantasyland undertaking. I played it to the hilt to illustrate how silly it is to me.

Technically we drafted rondo too. Should we wonder if he’d be our assist leader if he played his entire career with the suns? How many seasons or games is not silly to play the “could have” game?

Again I know this comes off as being snarky, I’m not. I just find it silly to arbitrarily wonder about this player but not that. Particularly when talking about all time anything’s. I mean the only way a player typically has a shot as an all time anything is to play either a full career with a team or for a team to have a history of short term or awful players.

14. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

Lifetime scoring leader for a team seems to be a relative meaningless stat, in most cases, in today's NBA.

There are so many other factors involved. Stockton & Malone for Utah seems to be the most notable
    exception of their time. A small market team never strong enough to be a championship contender,
    going for stats more than anything to draw the crowd.

As far as Alvan Adams and his numbers with the Suns, it reflects that no other team wanted to sign
    or trade for a 212 lb. Center. And that his best year was his rookie year. His stats went downhill from
    there. Most of his lifetime Suns points were from Shooting Guard range.

His longevity actually hurt the Suns, because he tied up the Center position for a decade playing like
    a Guard. Our Power Forwards had to cover and go up against traditional NBA Centers.

15. Ouchie-Z-Clown

You have a weird way of looking at things.

Stockton and Malone were in the finals not once but twice. But we’re “never strong enough to be a championship contender?” I’ve seen articles that rate Utah as having been the greatest challenge to the bulls (not that I necessarily agree with that).

And you think Adams longevity was because no one wanted to sign or trade for him? Lol. He played at a time when FA was only a dream and you have no idea I’d anyone wanted to trade for him. He was a talented ball player. Maybe the suns didn’t want to get rid of him.