Alcatraz (FOX)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't so impressed wtih the 2nd episode but it might have been the subject matter abducting kids etc.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I made it 2 episodes. Was hoping it was early show jitters, actors finding their characters, ect. Just didnt do a THING for me. I dont believe the lead one bit. Not one. Bad casting. And everyone saying the music is straight out of lost? Did you not hear the last season of Lost scoring? Some of the worst in my memory.

I bailed.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was having a hard time staying awake last night, just tired not the show, but I was not impressed with what I saw.

I think they need to step it up quickly.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What's funny to me is that the guest stars (villains) have been the strength of the show and the leads have been hard to believe.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still staying with it but I don't think the show is going to make it. Unlike most here, I like the female lead but I find Hurley (whatever his name is) unbelievable in this role. Each episode seems to raise more questions than it answers and I've never been fond of heavy use of the backstory. Some of that is necessary to detail the overall mystery but too much of each episode is focused on events from the past. This last episode (1.4, Cal Sweeney) spent more than half the episode on backstory.

Steve

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still staying with it but I don't think the show is going to make it. Unlike most here, I like the female lead but I find Hurley (whatever his name is) unbelievable in this role. Each episode seems to raise more questions than it answers and I've never been fond of heavy use of the backstory. Some of that is necessary to detail the overall mystery but too much of each episode is focused on events from the past. This last episode (1.4, Cal Sweeney) spent more than half the episode on backstory.

Steve

I like the female lead too and I agree about Hurley's character he's not believable in this role.

I like Sam Neill but so far I don't like his character much either. In fact I think the best character on the show is unfortunately the girl in the hospital who got shot in the first episode. I liked her.

I'm still watching but they need to step it up.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the female lead too and I agree about Hurley's character he's not believable in this role.

I like Sam Neill but so far I don't like his character much either. In fact I think the best character on the show is unfortunately the girl in the hospital who got shot in the first episode. I liked her.

I'm still watching but they need to step it up.

Agree with everything here. I hope we get more of her than just flashbacks and an occasional reference to "coma girl". She brought out a little personality in Sam's character that is sorely lacking when she's not around.

Steve

Passepartout

July 4th Fireworks
Reaction score
The lead characters lead by Sam Neil are making me dislike them more and more, though Sarah Jones is ok. Like the doctor actually and that Lucy, Sam's assistant. As she and the doctor despite being in only a couple of scenes with one another. Have a personality and a background. And a little chemistry I might add. Guest stars seem to be the ones that we are led to have sympathy for despite being "villains" aka convicts.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The third episode wasn't that bad. Best of the first 3 IMO. The writing is kind of crappy for this show. Sam Neil proclaims that we can do this the easy way, or the hard way. lol

I wont last long at this pace. Hurley was just a horrible pick for that role. He is totally unbelievable to me.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The third episode wasn't that bad. Best of the first 3 IMO. The writing is kind of crappy for this show. Sam Neil proclaims that we can do this the easy way, or the hard way. lol

I wont last long at this pace. Hurley was just a horrible pick for that role. He is totally unbelievable to me.

I watched the whole episode again on On demand and liked it better.

Hurley definitely not right for the role though agreed on that.

Passepartout

July 4th Fireworks
Reaction score
I for one like Hurley. As he is the soul as you need to have someone. That is "nice." Sam Neil's character is kind of mellowing out not the you know what, he was to begin with. Still don't like him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still watching. Next one is the 2 hour season finale they are claiming they will get into some explanations. It's gotten really old with a new story every week that's essentially the same, so they need to start explaining what's going on or totally lose what's left of their audience.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still watching. Next one is the 2 hour season finale they are claiming they will get into some explanations. It's gotten really old with a new story every week that's essentially the same, so they need to start explaining what's going on or totally lose what's left of their audience.

I'm still watching also. I agree, they need to start giving us more answers than questions. Watching this, I can't help but remember the frustration I felt with Nowhere Man. Another show with potential that spent most of the 1st season giving us a couple new questions for every answer they tossed our way. IMO, it's the reason that show never saw a second season and I think this series is on a similar path.

Steve

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still watching also. I agree, they need to start giving us more answers than questions. Watching this, I can't help but remember the frustration I felt with Nowhere Man. Another show with potential that spent most of the 1st season giving us a couple new questions for every answer they tossed our way. IMO, it's the reason that show never saw a second season and I think this series is on a similar path.

Steve

Loved Nowhere Man, right until they conveniently explained everything away in the end. Bleh.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved Nowhere Man, right until they conveniently explained everything away in the end. Bleh.

It was the quickest wrap-up I've ever seen. The show was fairly well reviewed and there was a solid and loyal following but they shot themselves in the foot by stringing us out IMO. I don't think the Cliff Notes wrap up would have been necessary if they'd started working towards the answers a bit earlier in the season. I suspect Alcatraz will end up with an episode or two to end the series also.

Steve

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was the quickest wrap-up I've ever seen. The show was fairly well reviewed and there was a solid and loyal following but they shot themselves in the foot by stringing us out IMO. I don't think the Cliff Notes wrap up would have been necessary if they'd started working towards the answers a bit earlier in the season. I suspect Alcatraz will end up with an episode or two to end the series also.

Steve

I hope they do because otherwise they're going to go out like Terra Nova did and we'll never know.

Not that I'm losing sleep over not knowing what the deep secrets in Terra Nova were.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard