07: "White Moon"
08: "Instinct Blues"
09: "Passive Manipulation"
10: "Take, Take, Take"
11: "As Ugly as I Seem"
12: "Red Rain"
13: "I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet)"

You must be registered for see images attach

I figured that I try to resurrect "Album-a-Day" with newer releases rather than the usual format of posting about older albums... I must begin with probably the most eclectic album to be released thus far in 2005 and I would not be shocked if it's soon #1 on the Billboard charts and received some
Grammy award consideration.

I bestow Jack White with the title of being both a music revolutionist and what I dub as "restorationalist".... He's a true visionary in the sense of the collection of music that he pieces together for each and every album and a historian since he pays homage to many of his musical influences.....

The album starts off with the pulsating "Blue Orchid" that recalls some of the White Stripes earlier work and would make bands like MC5 and perhaps KISS extremely proud... The 2nd track "The Nurse" has to be one of the dirtiest songs recorded in quite some time... I don't mean dirty in the sense of vulgarity (no offensive lyrics or anything graphic), but just the strong sexual overtones of the song.... The song reminds me of the Hollies hit "Carianne" complete with a xylophone and highly calypso flavored... I bet it would become one of those instant make-out songs for you and your partner to listen to while in the mood.... All throughout the thrusting of Meg White's drums and the dynamics of Jack White's guitar just gradually mounts gaining more intensity until the climatic ending in which everything suddenly escalates to immediately coming to an abrupt stop....

"My Doorbell" is where Jack White reaches into his back-of-tricks and performs a song that is very similar to what the Jackson 5 and Smokey Robinson did in the late 60s-early 70s with all of their Motown classics... Not surprising since of course Jack White was born and raised in the Detroit suburbs (just like myself) and couldn't resist incorporating among the sounds that he grew-up on (and who could possibly blame him?)....

"Forever for Her (Is Over For Me)" is the late 60s (mainly CA) psychadelia being revisited.... I could sense a strong Donovan influence with a slight hint of Beck... "Little Ghost" is one of those blue-grass country ditties that reminds me of those Jug Bands (even the Darlings on Andy Griffith) would be impressed with.... Could be the Square Dancing song of the 21st Century...

"The Denial Twist" is Marvin Gaye with even a nod to Joey Dee & The Starlighters.... "White Moon" is a mournful ballad that White taps into his extremely sensitive side with somewhat nursery rhyme lyrics, but very revealing and moves the listener...

"Instinct Blues" White with again his vast knowledge of music charters into Delta Blues terroritory with extreme success.. He explores all boundaries and never fails... Delta Blues with attitude.....Just like if Cream was covering one of their Blues heroes....

The most baffling track is ""Passive Manipulation" which is Meg White's obligatory offering on every White Stripe's album... It reminds me of the extremes John Lennon would resort to by allowing Yoko to have some tracks on his albums, but the results here arent as dreadful.. In fact.. it's short and sweet (clocking in at just 35 seconds) only consisting of these lyrics:

"Women, listen to your mothers
Don't just succumb to the wishes of your brothers
Take a step back, take a look at one another
You need to know the difference...
Between a father and a lover (repeat)"

I guess the purpose of that song was to continue with how eery some of "Get Behind Satan" truly is....

"Take, Take, Take" again reminds me a combination of some Motown along with 60s psychedlia....."As Ugly As I Seem" is simply Jack White on an acoustic with a rather plaintive vocal delivery that could take someone back to Woodstock '69 or just that era... His guitar-work is similar to "Here Comes The Sun" in this song....

"Red Rain" has a slide-guitar intro and then uses xylophones and is like an earlier Joan Jett & The Blackhawks with some Glam Rock added for good measure...

The final track ""I'm Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet)" is a compelling ballad that White wrote for both his mother and sister that is a piano driven Gospel number... Again... he's being successful in exploring different genres very flawlessly....

"Get Behind Me Satan" has to rank with Beck's "Guero" is the best album to released so far in '05 and remember this album around Grammy time when Jack & Meg White will be up at the podium accepting a multitude of awards and several other accolades.... It's an album I highly recommend for anyone who is a music aficionado... You'll appreciate/enjoy this album even if you've never been a fan of the White Stripes music since it's so perfectly put together....

Definitely deserves the rating of:
:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
Good stuff KLL. Are you an aspiring writer, current writer, going to school to be a writer......etc?

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BendCardfan said:
Good stuff KLL. Are you an aspiring writer, current writer, going to school to be a writer......etc?

Thanks for the compliment....

I actually was going to major in Journalism, however, decided on Psychology when I began college..then subsequently went onto attending Broadcasting School, but since have returned back to school to get a Business degree....

Anyways... writing has always been an interest of mine, however, I have at one time or another considered finally getting some of my lyrics and short-stories published, or sit down and finish the movie scripts that I've had in my mind for years... Enough about me though....

Have you or anyone listened to this album yet? It's definitely worth purchasing regardless..... I will IM the link that contains the entire album if anyone is interested.... I'm still floored on how amazing "Get Behind Me Satan" is...I actually appreciate it more upon every listen since I discover some elements (especially an effect) that I didnt notice before....

Beaver

Maximum Effort
Reaction score
I wish I could articulate my thougts on music as you do. Honestly I have never really sat down and listened to White Stripes. Just stuff off the radio etc. Your review had me intrigued and added them to my download list, but have yet to download any.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BendCardfan said:
I wish I could articulate my thougts on music as you do. Honestly I have never really sat down and listened to White Stripes. Just stuff off the radio etc. Your review had me intrigued and added them to my download list, but have yet to download any.

I could pass along the usual link which does contain "Get Behind Me Satan" and all the other White Stripes albums in their entirety...that is if you and whoever else may be interested... I'd rather not have someone take the risk in purchasing this c.d. with their own hard-earned cash and end-up despising it...in the process of course blaming me for my high praise of this album....

Plus.. I also hope that you'd like this album better than my previous recommendation of Gomez! :D

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sometimes like them, but then sometimes they get on my nerves, but I might have to check the new one out.

On a side note, I think Meg is kind of cute in a wierd way. :shrug:

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bankybruce said:
I sometimes like them, but then sometimes they get on my nerves, but I might have to check the new one out.

On a side note, I think Meg is kind of cute in a wierd way. :shrug:

I seldom experience a sense of euphoria while listening to an album (especially during my first listen of it), and this album lead to that type of reaction and more....

Again...I'll PM a link of this album to everyone who is interested to judge for themselves.... Believe me...this album will be looked back on as one of the best albums of this decade.....

I agree with you regarding Meg... it seems you similar to myself love those gothic/punk looking girls...just something about them excites me... :D

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort