Adding a Little O-Line Help

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This thread is getting silly now.

There's no harm in opting out under the circumstances. Seems to me there are more opt outs towards the top of the board than lower down for the very obvious reason that if you feel you already have enough on tape and enough draft capital to still go high then why put yourself through a year of pain for free and risk getting hurt?

I'm sure many of these guys were advised by agents to sit the season out and not risk getting hurt while giving them more time to finish their degrees.

Yeah, pretty darn silly. There's no way to talk sense when heads are stuck in the sand. What are you going to do?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. Ok. The virus wasn’t a month old in September. The rates haven’t changed this entire time. I’m “essential” and have been out and about while not missing a single day of work this entire time. There are definitely people this is dangerous for. Healthy young men are not in that grouping and that’s been obvious since last spring. Trying to tell me he’s not heathy because he plays on the line is hysterical. I’m not saying he’s a bad person or a bad football player. I’m saying he doesn’t fit the mold of player I’d want on my team. You can dislike that all you like but it doesn’t disprove my reasoning one bit.

I don't know why I'm bothering but in Sept they didn't know if the Pac 12 was going to even HAVE a season. They had already postponed until a later date, and at the time LOTS of Pac 12 players were looking into transferring because it was widely believed they weren't going to have a season. 4 of the 12 teams in the conference are in California, in the Bay area and So Cal where the restrictions were the heaviest. That's why the 49ers couldn't play at home Santa Clara County shut them down, at the time Little sat out most of of California was still in a fairly serious lockdown and it wasn't clear sports was going to be allowed.

Covid adversely impacts people with weight issues that's VERY well known, it is also whey they are worried about college athletes who got Covid and now are showing signs of heart issues, they're assuming it's directly related to so many of them being so big.

And yes linemen in football are extremely unhealthy, most of them are MUCH heavier than they should be it's why NFL linemen don't live to normal ages. 15 years ago a study came out that said NFL linemen are 52% more likely to die of cardiac issues than the general population. It's actually gotten worse in the last 15 years, a recent study said NFL players who played over 300 pounds are 2 1/2 times more likely to die from heart disease than their lighter teammates were. There's a study that's still being verified that says the average NFL player is now dying in their mid to late 50's and the reason it's so low is it's skewed by all the former linemen who die before they reach 50.

A friend of mine is a professional nutritionist, she used to be engaged to a former college lineman and helped him lose 80 pounds after he retired because his doctor told him the reason he was feeling so poorly is he was severely overweight and was showing signs of impending heart failure. He was 26 at the time and was over 300 pounds trying to make an NFL roster after college, he's now 220. Linemen gain extreme amounts of weight they were easily the ones at most risk due to Covid

I've been working most of the pandemic too, I'm the guy who screens everyone every morning. I'm only working because if I wasn't I wouldn't get paid.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I feel like the only thing that counts against a player who opted out is that it limited the sample size of what you are evaluated on. I feel this way with guys like Parsons and Farley. Both of them flashed big time ability but the limited sample size is something that could hurt their draft stock a little.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I would take Caleb Farley or Micah Parsons and they opted out.
Btw, Wyatt Davis opted back in.
I'm guessing Shaun Wade wishes he would've stayed opted out. He was exposed as a CB this year and cost himself millions by dropping from a potential 1st round pick to maybe 3rd or 4th round.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel like the only thing that counts against a player who opted out is that it limited the sample size of what you are evaluated on. I feel this way with guys like Parsons and Farley. Both of them flashed big time ability but the limited sample size is something that could hurt their draft stock a little.
I selfishly hope so for our sake when it comes to Farley.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Speaking of guys who opted out does anyone have thoughts on Jaylen Twyman from Pitt?

Only one season as a starter in 2019 before opting out this year but had 10.5 sacks from DT. Projects nicely as a 3 tech. Has great hands and good speed for an interior guy.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Speaking of guys who opted out does anyone have thoughts on Jaylen Twyman from Pitt?

Only one season as a starter in 2019 before opting out this year but had 10.5 sacks from DT. Projects nicely as a 3 tech. Has great hands and good speed for an interior guy.

Tricky prospect with a great division of opinion among scouts. He put up impressive numbers both in high school and at the start of his college career. He’s quick and has decent spin & swim moves. He has a solid first step.

The biggest concern is will his frame support bulking up enough to handle NFL linemen.

Most felt he could go at the end of round 2 had he come out last year. Now I believe a year of no measured development will likely drop him to round 3 or lower. He needed to show growth. It’s a shame because I don’t lower players based on opting out, but he sadly needed that extra year of development more than most. He could be a bargain, but I’m seeing him classed as developmental now.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tricky prospect with a great division of opinion among scouts. He put up impressive numbers both in high school and at the start of his college career. He’s quick and has decent spin & swim moves. He has a solid first step.

The biggest concern is will his frame support bulking up enough to handle NFL linemen.

Most felt he could go at the end of round 2 had he come out last year. Now I believe a year of no measured development will likely drop him to round 3 or lower. He needed to show growth. It’s a shame because I don’t lower players based on opting out, but he sadly needed that extra year of development more than most. He could be a bargain, but I’m seeing him classed as developmental now.

I'd snap him up in round 3. Much will depend I think on what he has done on his year off. He's listed at 290lbs on Pitt's website but you know how accurate they are. I'm guessing more 280.

I'm ok with 290 for a 3T so if he turns up for his pro day carrying 290lb's of good weight I can see him going in the 2nd.

I'm a fan of NFL mock draft database which full together all mock drafts and big boards to create a consensus. They have him at 73 which is early 3rd at the moment. I think he could be a steal in the 3rd. He show's a lot of traits that are hard to teach already.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Same college of Aaron Donald, same number, basically same height /weight.. From the highlights he has some exploviness and power moves

Last edited:
OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
PFF just weighed in
“If you compare what we saw from him most recently to others in this class at the same age, though, Little stacks up favorably with most. He allowed only one pressure in his final seven college games and has some impressive feet for a 6-foot-7 tackle. He could very well be the steal of the class if he falls late into Day 2.”

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave