Adding a Little O-Line Help

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
In considering players likely to drop, one of my favorite concentrations is players recovering from injury. In this case not just absent due to injury but subsequently choosing a Covid opt out has caused Walker Little to disappear from virtually every draft projection. Despite injuring his knee in game one of the 2019 season many analysts had him as a round one selection if he came out in that draft. Despite the money on the table he chose to return to Stanford. I’m told there will be no general medical red flag attached to him.

If he is there when the Cards select in round two, he would be a steal. Since it’s an O-line deep draft, this drop is a real possibility. Little was a premiere prospect coming out of high school. On the technical side his agility is off the charts. He has exceptional balance reflected in the best footwork among the tackle pool. He handles speed rushers convincingly, easily shifting inside to handle stunts and swim moves. Seldom does a rusher get around him with any degree of momentum. Don’t let his Stanford IQ fool you. He’s very smart, but he is also very tough and extremely competitive. He revels in locking up defenders until the whistle, since he anchors very effectively. His punch is hard and effective when he is anchoring though added strength would enhance this part of his game. His greatest assets are exhibited in pass defense.

At this point he is only adequate as a run blocker. He needs to add both strength and technique. There is no problem with his motor or trainability. He has never played inside so his development would likely go backup swing tackle, right tackle then left tackle. I have every confidence he could effectively play either tackle. His intellect and athleticism should make him a starter by year 2 if not sooner. He would provide insurance for Jones. It’s also conceivable Jones could be effective at left guard. He anchors well and has the agility to pull. At worst this would give the Cards outstanding OT depth. At best Little could start for many years.

I’d like to see the Cards add O-line depth. Rarely does a team get an opportunity to select a top OT in round 2. It’s true a guard might seem more appropriate but you just can’t pass Little if he’s there.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Walker Little would be a complete waste of a pick, though.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the in depth analysis Harry. I am very concerned about any player who opted out though

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the on depth analysis Harry. I am very concerned about any player who opted out though

Curious why? At the time nobody had any idea if a full season would be played or not. If you're at Stanford with the academics and you don't know about a full season or not I can completely understand opting out, focusing on your academics and playing it safe.

I'd be far more concerned about his knee than that, not sure I've ever seen exactly what the injury was. To be totally honest if I were a college athlete in the year of Covid I probably would have opted out too

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Curious why? At the time nobody had any idea if a full season would be played or not. If you're at Stanford with the academics and you don't know about a full season or not I can completely understand opting out, focusing on your academics and playing it safe.

I'd be far more concerned about his knee than that, not sure I've ever seen exactly what the injury was. To be totally honest if I were a college athlete in the year of Covid I probably would have opted out too
The very first trait I would look for before drafting a player....

does he love football?

imo those who opted out really don’t... they might like it a lot but they don’t have the love for the game required to be a good pro

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As Oaken said, it would be a red flag about dedication. A good interview could dispel that preconception though

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I appreciate the in depth analysis Harry. I am very concerned about any player who opted out though

does he love football?

imo those who opted out really don’t... they might like it a lot but they don’t have the love for the game required to be a good pro

So I'm guessing you question the dedication of any player in the NFL who opted out too.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i dunno

the Pac 12 basically was going with a weird spring season

for draftable football players -- that was a non starter

so you decided to spend the time prepping for the draft, and then the PAC 12 reverses

with PAC 12 players, its no so black and white

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Covid-19 totally screwed up the 2020 college football season especially the PAC-12. I can't get on anyone that oped out especially when over 450,0000 people have lost their lives due to the coronavirus. It is going to be one of the toughest off seasons for the NFL GM's to judge the talent avaialbe in the Draft. The Cardinal's do need to get some more talent at OL and if they feel that Walker Little is going to be a good NFL OT, then draft him.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

does he love football?

Bah, I disagree with these stances. He goes to Stanford; he's an intelligent individual. Remember, this is before ANYONE knew it would be safe to play football games--and remember it turned out to be extremely UNSAFE in a lot of college football programs just to be in the program. It's not like being asked to play through pain, or cut off part of your pinkie to keep playing; it was literally a life-or-death kind of decision. Do you risk catching something lethal in the middle of a pandemic to play football. THAT'S the decision he was facing. I see it as absolutely NO reflection of his dedication to football to opt out.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

does he love football?

Yet Ja'Marr Chase is considered a top 10 pick and there was a recent thread on wide receivers where no one had an issue with his opt out. Same with Slater, Sewell, Wyatt Davis, Rondale Moore, Rousseau, Parsons, Farley. Several of which Ive seen mentioned as potential picks without anyone mentioning opt out.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just found out yesterday the Florida basketball kid who collapsed was NOT related to Covid. that's january 2021, so it's very hard for me to fault a kid who opted out at the time Little did, when the Pac 12, and California in particular was so unclear what was happening with Covid.

Don't think that has anything to do with loving football, he was just being pragmatic

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bah, I disagree with these stances. He goes to Stanford; he's an intelligent individual. Remember, this is before ANYONE knew it would be safe to play football games--and remember it turned out to be extremely UNSAFE in a lot of college football programs just to be in the program. It's not like being asked to play through pain, or cut off part of your pinkie to keep playing; it was literally a life-or-death kind of decision. Do you risk catching something lethal in the middle of a pandemic to play football. THAT'S the decision he was facing. I see it as absolutely NO reflection of his dedication to football to opt out.

And frankly, it was smart on his behalf. How many OT's come off a bad injury only to reinjure it? Given the option to sit out the year with no harm or foul, focus on his school work and let the knee fully recuperate before the draft doesn't seem like too bad of a decision to me.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In considering players likely to drop, one of my favorite concentrations is players recovering from injury. In this case not just absent due to injury but subsequently choosing a Covid opt out has caused Walker Little to disappear from virtually every draft projection. Despite injuring his knee in game one of the 2019 season many analysts had him as a round one selection if he came out in that draft. Despite the money on the table he chose to return to Stanford. I’m told there will be no general medical red flag attached to him.

If he is there when the Cards select in round two, he would be a steal. Since it’s an O-line deep draft, this drop is a real possibility. Little was a premiere prospect coming out of high school. On the technical side his agility is off the charts. He has exceptional balance reflected in the best footwork among the tackle pool. He handles speed rushers convincingly, easily shifting inside to handle stunts and swim moves. Seldom does a rusher get around him with any degree of momentum. Don’t let his Stanford IQ fool you. He’s very smart, but he is also very tough and extremely competitive. He revels in locking up defenders until the whistle, since he anchors very effectively. His punch is hard and effective when he is anchoring though added strength would enhance this part of his game. His greatest assets are exhibited in pass defense.

At this point he is only adequate as a run blocker. He needs to add both strength and technique. There is no problem with his motor or trainability. He has never played inside so his development would likely go backup swing tackle, right tackle then left tackle. I have every confidence he could effectively play either tackle. His intellect and athleticism should make him a starter by year 2 if not sooner. He would provide insurance for Jones. It’s also conceivable Jones could be effective at left guard. He anchors well and has the agility to pull. At worst this would give the Cards outstanding OT depth. At best Little could start for many years.

I’d like to see the Cards add O-line depth. Rarely does a team get an opportunity to select a top OT in round 2. It’s true a guard might seem more appropriate but you just can’t pass Little if he’s there.

I agree but while 2nd wouldn't be too high for him there would be some element of risk for a 2nd. I'd feel more comfortable in the 3rd. Considering how Jones fell last year having played and without injury issue it's not inconceivable Little is there in the 3rd. His current consensus big board position is #75.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I agree but while 2nd wouldn't be too high for him there would be some element of risk for a 2nd. I'd feel more comfortable in the 3rd. Considering how Jones fell last year having played and without injury issue it's not inconceivable Little is there in the 3rd. His current consensus big board position is #75.

I’m a believer that it’s better to take a player a little early than wait in hopes they fall to you. I’m not certain he lasts until the Cards’ second round pick.

As to those bothered by the opt out, I guarantee you that is not impacting the thinking of most teams. Several will go early. It’s not being written about much but several of the players who got Covid and recovered are showing concerning lingering issues including cardiac concerns. They are more likely to fall than opt outs. HIPPA has meant many of those names are not known though rumors abound. Teams will be seeking any medical evals they can get.

The medical issues surrounding the knee issue would have been a bigger concern before this type of recovery has become common. If this wasn’t such a deep pool, he’d go in round 1.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I would but again a strong explanation could change that.

It is there life, they were given the option, and they took it because that is what they felt was best for them. I do not think any explanation is owed. After seeing the absolute joke college football was this year, it looks like the young man made the right decision because there would have been a good chance he would have gotten COVID.

To each his own, but if teams are going to red flag kids who opted out? Cool. More of an opportunity for teams that respect people who are given and option and take it.

This would be pushing the kid into a pool and holding him accountable for getting wet, IMHO.

I get both sides' arguments, but my opinion is stated above.

EDIT: Also, a point can be made that Keim's process of "making sure the player loves football" hasn't been bearing much fruit in college evaluations.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely do.

I would but again a strong explanation could change that.

To me, this is similar to equating football with war. We don't go to war with the Seahawks, we are playing a game.

Deciding to opt out playing a game because of health concerns from a virus we still don't know everything about that has killed hundreds of thousands of lives doesn't mean you aren't dedicated to the game. It just might mean you're more dedicated to your health, (short and/or long term) or your family maybe if you have a pregnant wife or a child with an autoimmune disease for examples.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, this is similar to equating football with war. We don't go to war with the Seahawks, we are playing a game.

Deciding to opt out playing a game because of health concerns from a virus we still don't know everything about that has killed hundreds of thousands of lives doesn't mean you aren't dedicated to the game. It just might mean you're more dedicated to your health, (short and/or long term) or your family maybe if you have a pregnant wife or a child with an autoimmune disease for examples.

Sure that is why I said a strong explanation would explain that.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically my opinion is between both sides but leans slightly towards opting out is bad

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave