Abraham leaves team

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Geeze. We have an all pro group of guys who won't be playing from last year's squad!

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This is getting seriously crazy. We might have two projected starters retire before Week 2 due to long-term injuries. I know teams are expected to handle adversity, but how many personnel losses can one team take in a two-month span?

You have to admit, with all the loses, the D still looked good out there. Abraham will be missed, but we need to find another OLB.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's gonna set us back a tad but I'm glad he's considering his options and putting comfort of life into his thought process. Playing in the NFL can be like riding in an elevator with Ray Rice, sooner or later you gotta take the stairs.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
his concussion was bad. really bad. he is not coming back. was told this by a mutual friend. sucks, but he should definitely retire if he is having memory loss. so close to moving up the all time sack list too.

Remembering the sacks he got is far more important than moving up a list

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
This may be foolish thinking but I'm really hoping Keiser can take up some of the slack. I've really liked what I've seen from that guy, both when he was in San Diego and here. He may not get the sack but he brings pressure.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this could explain why the Cardinals were so supportive of him while he was away from camp. Everyone sort of assumed he was in rehab. But under hippa laws the Cards couldn't say.

His three week absence could have been connected to this. I truly hope he gets the help and support he needs to go forward. He could be battling some very heavy medical issues.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think this could explain why the Cardinals were so supportive of him while he was away from camp. Everyone sort of assumed he was in rehab. But under hippa laws the Cards couldn't say.

His three week absence could have been connected to this. I truly hope he gets the help and support he needs to go forward. He could be battling some very heavy medical issues.

He had memory loss the day of the DUI and swears he hadn't had much to drink, thought it might have been related to some prescription mess. He's probably been battling this a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
For ****s sake! This is bad for Jon and the team. My best to Jon ; but geeeeez m!

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I think it is quite possible (in light of his prolonged absence from the team this off-season) that John Abraham has been suffering for months now with anxiety and depression and thus, his alcoholism was a form of self-medication. For anyone who has suffered from depression---it's one of the toughest nuts to crack. If this is indeed the case, he needs to get the proper treatment (which often takes weeks and months for there to be any marked improvements) and in doing so he really cannot and should not be playing football. The disease in its most acute forms is dehabilitating. A concussion on top of it could be pure agony. Whatever the case may be, I am praying for him.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think it is quite possible (in light of his prolonged absence from the team this off-season) that John Abraham has been suffering for months now with anxiety and depression and thus, his alcoholism was a form of self-medication. For anyone who has suffered from depression---it's one of the toughest nuts to crack. If this is indeed the case, he needs to get the proper treatment (which often takes weeks and months for there to be any marked improvements) and in doing so he really cannot and should not be playing football. The disease in its most acute forms is dehabilitating. A concussion on top of it could be pure agony. Whatever the case may be, I am praying for him.

Sounds like he needs to hang 'em up for sure. Depression is very difficult and alcohol, while not the cure, gives you a deceptive remedy for a while. Then, you can't get off of the merry-go-round without some help. Been there, done that.

My prayers are with him and his family as well.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I was thinking this before he came back. Seemed odd the way the whole thing played out to me. I still have no way of knowing this, but I wondered if he wasn't contemplating retirement then.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team is turning into a real soap opera, "As the Cardinals Turn..."

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He has played this game at a high level for a LOOOOOOOONG time.

I hope he is OK in the end. Football wise he has earned the respect to make decisions for his health.

He has his legacy, his money, and his respect. He has earned the right to walk away when he deems fits.

I have gotten a concussion in a very similar ways he did, they suck. The impact never looks as bad as it actually is because your neck is full extended so there is little to no give, and it hurts....bad.

Again, I hope he is OK.

As for the Cardinals ? Next man up. They need to find a future OLBer anyway. Yet, there is no doubt, our only non-blitz pass rushing threat just left the building.

This again and again!

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
:shrug:
John Abraham contemplating retirement, has left team. team gets roster exemption, re-signs marcus benard. #azcardinals

Abraham will be placed on a reserve list today. If not back in 5 days, can't play this season.

Why not re-sign AW...great leader, plays run and blitzes well... great mentor for Buchannon and Jefferson

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
:shrug:

Why not re-sign AW...great leader, plays run and blitzes well... great mentor for Buchannon and Jefferson

Yea, why not. He was there on Monday turning the main horn. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson