Abraham leaves team

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
:shrug:

Why not re-sign AW...great leader, plays run and blitzes well... great mentor for Buchannon and Jefferson

I'm sure he can still do somethings and he's one of my all time favorites, but father time has probably made him a liability in certain circumstances on the field. AW rules though! :claphat:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I'm sure he can still do somethings and he's one of my all time favorites, but father time has probably made him a liability in certain circumstances on the field. AW rules though! :claphat:

I say this. Wilson for a time in his career was decent in coverage and then had his times of being atrocious BUT... the man can simply flat out blitz and give QBs nightmares and that is something I think he can still do, I would rather have Wilson being turned loose on passing downs than those 'other guys' playing LB removed from Foote :)

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some (most) times one creates their own luck. Counting on a 35? year old for your only true pass rusher is tempting Murphy to lay down the law. Not drafting a pass rusher in the first rd of the draft for .....IDK......decades is slapping Murphy in the face.

Was losing los bad luck or was the writing on the wall? DWashout, should the Cards have been more on top of this????

DD was bad luck but at least SK drafted 2 DE's and kept Rucker and then added Kelly so the bad luck has been minimized greatly. The addition of Foote and drafting of Minter the prior year has minimized the loss of Los and DWashout. Plus the drafting of Bucannon and using him as a lber in certain packages helps fill the void left by DWaste.

Brings me back to the OLBer position and apparently zero effort put into getting a pass rusher.

SK had plenty of holes to fill (LT, LG, RG, RT OLBer, CB, Safety, TE's, RB) and then the dyke sprung unexpected leaks which he has handled well so he gets one more year of patience from me but then that's it. Get a couple of pass rushers on the roster big guy.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck JA.Now is the time to see what all the LBs can do.Cards can only give them a chance.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bruce Arians: John Abraham said he was missing desire to play

“When you get to that age, and for whatever reason, if that game and that atmosphere on ‘Monday Night Football’ didn’t have you flying around or more, something is missing,” Arians said, via the team’s website. “That’s basically what he reflected to me. ‘There were times in that game I wasn’t in it, and that’s not fair to my teammates. I have to decide if this is something I really want to do.'”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
He had memory loss the day of the DUI and swears he hadn't had much to drink, thought it might have been related to some prescription mess. He's probably been battling this a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok.

That makes sense. In one report it states he has been having memory loss issues for a year now, and in another report this was the 1st concussion he ever had.

They seemed conflicting until this tidbit. Thanks for posting it. And darn tootin it could be medication complications.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
IMO there is a HUGE difference between physical problems and mental ones. Physical problems suck but to start losing my memory is unthinkable. My mom is dealing with that right now. I have had the same conversation with her multiple times in the same phone call.
If JA is dealing with anything close to that he should have stepped away long ago. It just isn't worth it. He will definitely be missed but your mental health is just too important.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really hope he gets some professional help on his problems especially if they are "mental".

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cynical side of me is wondering... if Abraham retires now after being on the roster for game 1, will he get paid for the whole season?

On one hand we hear he's never had a concussion before and he never contemplated retiring during the offseason. Then he skips most of camp and the preseason, shows up for game 1, then decides to retire? Now for the first time, we're hearing that he's had memory problems for a year or more (which would be a convenient narrative for defending his DUI) and his heart isn't in it any more? Hmmm....

...dbs

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
The cynical side of me is wondering... if Abraham retires now after being on the roster for game 1, will he get paid for the whole season?

On one hand we hear he's never had a concussion before and he never contemplated retiring during the offseason. Then he skips most of camp and the preseason, shows up for game 1, then decides to retire? Now for the first time, we're hearing that he's had memory problems for a year or more (which would be a convenient narrative for defending his DUI) and his heart isn't in it any more? Hmmm....

...dbs

Fair questions, imo.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair questions, imo.
Thanks - and again, this is the cynical side of me (OK, that's probably about 90% of me :) ). I really don't know the answers to any of these question, and I hate to question a guy who left it on the field and was a big part of the Cardinals' success last year and may now be suffering some serious health problems. But after he didn't bother to participate in the off-season program, the way recent events have unfolded just seems fishy.

... dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks - and again, this is the cynical side of me (OK, that's probably about 90% of me :) ). I really don't know the answers to any of these question & I hate to question a guy who left it on the field & was a big part of the Carxinals' success last year and may now be suffering some serious health problems. But after he didn't bother to participate in the off-season program, the way recent events have unfolded just seems fishy.
Peculiar to say the least!

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score

...dbs

Your thoughts mirror my thoughts. Especially hearing Jurecki confirm yesterday that if he played in game 1 he would be paid his yearly salary.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your thoughts mirror my thoughts. Especially hearing Jurecki confirm yesterday that if he played in game 1 he would be paid his yearly salary.

I think the NFL needs to adjust its injury settlement policy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

that does seem SUPER FISHY.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score

Well, what irks me if there is a shred of truth to it, is that he really screwed the team. That would've changed the draft and the FA period. SK would have been forced to address it. It could be that he left the team flapping in the breeze.

Again, that's a big if.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, what irks me if there is a shred of truth to it, is that he really screwed the team. That would've changed the draft and the FA period. SK would have been forced to address it. It could be that he left the team flapping in the breeze.

Again, that's a big if.

IMO they should have went after Freeney anyway.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You know, the guy has head injury issues. Who knows why this timing, but there is no point in being cynical about things you can't change anyway. Time to move on. Next man up. Here is your chance Sam Acho.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
I say this. Wilson for a time in his career was decent in coverage and then had his times of being atrocious BUT... the man can simply flat out blitz and give QBs nightmares and that is something I think he can still do, I would rather have Wilson being turned loose on passing downs than those 'other guys' playing LB removed from Foote :)

Exactly... with HB coming back and the rest of our secondary, Bowles can sort out the coverage... but having AW to blitz and get after the QB could still be very effective IMHO

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Exactly... with HB coming back and the rest of our secondary, Bowles can sort out the coverage... but having AW to blitz and get after the QB could still be very effective IMHO
I think it's a big stretch with AW. The guy hasn't played a significant down of football in 2 years.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

No more than 3 sacks in a season since 2006? Not that effective.