A New Year Brings New Hope For The Cardinals

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
First a look back...

Many thanks to Rod Graves, Ken Whisenhunt and the offensive coaches for their key roles in getting the Cardinals to their first Super Bowl. The thrill of that achievement and near win will always remain the most cherished chapter to date in Arizona Cardinals' lore.

There's no longer any reason to harp on the reasons why it was time for them to move on.

I hope that Graves, Whisenhunt and the offensive coaches all land handsomely on their feet---wherever that may be for each of them.

To The Present:

Many thanks to Mr. Michael Bidwill for his alacrity and determination in making these difficult decisions---one could tell from the way he spoke about Rod Graves, Ken Whisenhunt and their wives that Bidwill considers them family.

Bidwill has clearly taken a firm and resolute hold of the reins---and his determination seems more fierce and steadfast than ever.

I believe that Bidwill truly understands what we fans wish---and his fervent desire for the Cardinals to get "back to winning football games" is a refreshing refrain.

While Bidwill didn't provide the specific criteria for what he is looking for in the new head coach---one comment stood out---when he was aked about the QB situation Bidwill said that it wasn't just about "finding" the QB, it was about "developing" him.

Clearly---what irks Bidwill more than anything else is not seeing a stronger development of the talent that is already on the roster.

This is what makes me all the more confident in Bidwill's mindset and his purpose.

For example, when you draft a RB in the first round---you have to develop him.

I believe the roster is as talented as it has ever been---on the defensive side of the ball, it's the most confident it has been in eons.

Now---the new coach needs to elevate the confidence of the offensive talent---and he will need to do just as Bidwill asserts: develop that talent.

A Look Ahead

Thus far we know of Bidwill's first three HC candidates---and a reported fourth. All four candidates are impressive choices:

1. Mike McCoy, OC, Broncos.

The irony of this choice is that some people will say that McCoy is just riding Peyton Manning's jerseytails the way Whisenhunt rode Kurt Warner's.

However, McCoy did very well with Kyle Orton---to the tune of Orton becoming the #4 QB in passing yards in 2010.

The following year, McCoy tailored his offense to accommodate the unique skills of Tim Tebow---and the results were the #1 rushing offense in the NFL in 2011---and a remarkable trip to the second round of the AFC playoffs.

What's refreshing about McCoy's versatility and creativeness is that his system will be catered to the strengths of his personnel.

As for Manning, I remember being very impressed seeing an interview with him following his first week of Broncos' training camp---and he must have mentioned three times how impressed he was with Mike McCoy.

2. Andy Reid, HC, Eagles.

When Mike Bidwill referred to the term "develop" with regard to the QBs and the talent on the football team, there are few coaches in this era of the NFL who develop QBs and offensive players the way Reid does.

The knock on him is that he hasn't won the big one.

But, to win the big one you have to knock on the door---and Reid has knocked on that door an impressive number of times in his career.

Perhaps---the next knock will be the charm.

As an offensive planner---this guy is a masterful X's and O's coach---

Put it this way---with Andy Reid, not only would the Cardinals finally be able to run a successfully designed and executed screen pass---the Cardinals would have 5-6 different screen passes in their playbook.

And while Reid is a proponent of the West Coast offense---he loves to bait you and then throw over the top of you.

It would also be something to watch as to what plans Reid would have for Larry Fitzgerald. Reid would not concede that double teaming Fitzgerald means not trying to get his the ball. Reid would have Fitzgerald in motion and rubbing off defenders and the other WR routes.

Fitzgerald under Reid, imo, would be reinvented.

Plus, Reid would find a way to add the deep threat WR that we have needed all along. Clearing out the intermediate zones is a staple of Reid's offense.

3. Ray Horton, DC, Cardinals

He's a hot name out there now for good reason---he took a once pathetic and hapless defense and turned them quickly into a force to be reckoned with.

What I found most impressive about him was that despite the team being 1-6 last year and now out of playoff contention, Horton was able to fire up the defense nonetheless---and once they got a taste of his magic, they were thirsty for much, much more---even when game after game they were on the field way too many times.

4. Bill O"Brien, HC, Penn St.

This young coach has earned the attention of football experts everywhere. He's an offensive mastermind who understand the nuances of effective preparation and planning.

To do what he did with Penn St. last year in light of all the handicaps is nothing short of sensational. Obviously, he won the utmost respect of his peers in the Big Ten as he was awarded the Big Ten Coach of the Year honor.

As I wrote a couple of days ago a pairing of Bill O'Brien as HC and Jason Licht as GM could be Lennon-McCartney-esque.

Which of these coaches would bring the most immediate buzz to Arizona as it tries to find a way to climb back into contention in the now red hot NFC West?

For the immediate, I believe it would be Andy Reid.

For the long-term---that's a harder call, but I am inclined to believe it would be Bill O'Brien.

Wild Cards?

Todd Haley, OC, Steelers. Funny that TE coach Freddie Kitchens has thus far been detained---a harbinger of a Todd Haley hiring, perhaps? Rick Bartel rightfully deemed Haley "abrasive"---and I thought was quite insightful when he said that Haley would wear out his welcome in 3-4 years, but that he would sure have the team's attention early on. One thing about Haley that intrigues me is how well he helped to develop an already good Larry Fitzgerald---which obviously speaks to Haley's commitment to excellence.

Yes, he's volatile and even petulant at times---but so was his mentor, Bill Parcells. The problem is Haley doesn't seem to have the sense of humor to go along with his ornery demeanor---which is what made Parcells so endearing to his players. Tension is important---but there also has to be a release valve every now and then, or else pressure makes people and teams crack.

The one wild card that would fascinate me---as I have written previously---is Chip Kelly, HC, Oregon. There is no more competitive, innovative and aggressive coach in all the world of football than this guy.

For immediate and long term buzz---to me, Chip Kelly would top the list like a skyrocket---

I love that he already has won battles with Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh---and I think it would be amazing to watch them all get after each other in the NFC West. In a test of wills, I like Chip Kelly.

That said---the positives for all the candidates on this list are so attractive that the Cardinals would appear to be in very capable hands with any of them.

As Andy Dufresne said---"Hope is good thing, Red, maybe the best of things."

Here's to hoping that the next Cardinals' head coach can dig a tunnel back to the top of the NFC West.

Happy New Year everyone. Best wishes to you all. GO Cardinals in 2013!

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great post, Mitch.

As teams tend to hire a different coach than the one they just fired i have a hunch it will be someone with previous headcoaching experience. Wether that is from the college ranks or the pros I couldn't say.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good analysis on the potential candidates, Mitch. I watched the press conference and my gut feeling is that MB favors Andy Reid. When they asked him who are the candidates, he really smiled when he said Andy Reid. Additionally the comments he made on keeping Kolb lead me to believe that he feels Andy Reid would be the perfect one to do this. Reid would also create excitement for the season holder ticket base, me included. I think of all the candidates, Reid could turn this around more quickly.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just a hunch, but (aside from the 2 internal options - Horton and Keim) I'm curious about those names not mentioned - like Arians, Polian.

And Chip Kelly. Interesting comment on ESPN (Cowherd?) about Kelly - essentially: He's a lot more than an offensive innovator who draws pretty pictures on play cards and whose offense (like Spurrier's) will never cut it in the NFL. For example, Kelly is revolutionizing the way college teams practice. (i.e. instead of drilling guys individually in position-groups rep after rep, 75% of his practice time is devoted to "practice games" which are then taped and broken down for review by coaches and players. (Side benefit is that it stresses situational football). Net-net - He's a smart, out-of-the-box guy with more on the ball than just offensive x's and o's.

Stop Whining

Veteran
Reaction score
I loved the Shawshank reference about hope because I had zero hope for a successful next season with the prior staff. The sun shined abit brighter yesterday after MB broke the good news and now their is hope this organization is back on track to respectability instead of the laughing stock it had become.

GO CARDS!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Good analysis on the potential candidates, Mitch. I watched the press conference and my gut feeling is that MB favors Andy Reid. When they asked him who are the candidates, he really smiled when he said Andy Reid. Additionally the comments he made on keeping Kolb lead me to believe that he feels Andy Reid would be the perfect one to do this. Reid would also create excitement for the season holder ticket base, me included. I think of all the candidates, Reid could turn this around more quickly.

Wouldn't you like to be in the room when MB asks AR what his feelings are about Kevin Kolb?

I think Reid will be diplomatic---and will avow that he always liked Kolb---but I bet you Reid will question Kolb's durability, as that was a factor in Philly as well.

Would also love to hear AR's thoughts on John Skelton.

Don't forget that Skelton was the QB when the Cardinals beat Philly at Philly last year.

Wonder too what AR's thoughts are about Brian Hoyer and Ryan Lindley.

Regardless---it would seem automatic that the Cardinals will be drafting a QB at #7 or #38.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Just a hunch, but (aside from the 2 internal options - Horton and Keim) I'm curious about those names not mentioned - like Arians, Polian.

And Chip Kelly. Interesting comment on ESPN (Cowherd?) about Kelly - essentially: He's a lot more than an offensive innovator who draws pretty pictures on play cards and whose offense (like Spurrier's) will never cut it in the NFL. For example, Kelly is revolutionizing the way college teams practice. (i.e. instead of drilling guys individually in position-groups rep after rep, 75% of his practice time is devoted to "practice games" which are then taped and broken down for review by coaches and players. (Side benefit is that it stresses situational football). Net-net - He's a smart, out-of-the-box guy with more on the ball than just offensive x's and o's.

Jeff---this is exactly what I have been saying for weeks now.

Belichick didn't just ask Kelly about the nuances of Kelly's offense---he asked him about Kelly's fast paced, situation-focused practices.

That's one thing the Cardinals need as much as anything---better instruction and practice on situations---

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kelly is revolutionizing the way college teams practice. (i.e. instead of drilling guys individually in position-groups rep after rep, 75% of his practice time is devoted to "practice games" which are then taped and broken down for review by coaches and players. (Side benefit is that it stresses situational football). Net-net - He's a smart, out-of-the-box guy with more on the ball than just offensive x's and o's.

I dunno Jeff. This flies in the face of everything Gene Hackman thought his boys in Hoosiers.:D

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mitch, one thing I think we will find very telling is if Reid is hired as head coach what will he do with Kolb as his qb?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, one thing I think we will find very telling is if Reid is hired as head coach what will he do with Kolb as his qb?

I would guess, Larry, that Kolb would not be Reid's choice---which is going to be a delicate thing to express to MB---but, the easiest way to broach the subject is the issue of durability.

Reid just went through the durability issues with Mike Vick---

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Where was the report on the O'Brien interest? Haven't heard that. That would certainly have me very, very intrigued!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch.

I don't agree with the analysis of Andy Reid.

Especially when it comes to Larry Fitzgerald. I cannot remember the last WR to make a difference in Philly.

Maybe TO ?

Can he develop offensive talent ? I don't know, maybe 10 year ago Reid's system worked, but it feels like to me, his "system" is dated, and doesn't work in today's NFL.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Where was the report on the O'Brien interest? Haven't heard that. That would certainly have me very, very intrigued!

I think MJ alluded to it last night. I know I heard it or read it.

MB said college coaches will be interviewed.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch.

Especially when it comes to Larry Fitzgerald. I cannot remember the last WR to make a difference in Philly.

Maybe TO ?

Can he develop offensive talent ? I don't know, maybe 10 year ago Reid's system worked, but it feels like to me, his "system" is dated, and doesn't work in today's NFL.
The Eagles were 15th this year in total offense even though their star RB, LT, and QB missed significant playing time. And last year they were 4th in total offense and 8th in points.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch.

Maybe TO ?

Rugby---

In going to Andy Reid (AR)---we would be going from the least friendly QB system to one of the most friendly QB systems---

AR knows how to take the pressure off the QB---his running game, the 7-8 different types of screens he runs, the draws, the TE focus in the middle, up the seams and up the sideline...

Look at how comfortable rookie Nick Foles looked in Reid's system this year.

His system isn't dated---plus he is always conjuring up new X's and O's---there's not a bigger X's and O's junkie out there.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Good ideas and analysis on coaching candidates. After watching Washington destroy Dallas on national television with 300 rushing yards, I am more convinced then ever Chip Kelly would work in the NFL. The look on Demarcus Ware's face after RG3 tricked him time and time again was priceless. It shows that good coaching and execution of a option-read offense is the real deal. I think Chip Kelly would be able to run a similar offense that could turn this team around in short order.

I also like the idea of Mike McCoy. He is the opposite of Whiz in that he adjusts (sometimes radically so) to his personnel. The Broncos offense is looking really good right now and I think McCoy's willingness to adapt to his players' strengths is a major reason why.

I could work with Ray Horton as coach. His intensity and passion for the job are unquestioned. Personally I think he acts a little young and cocky in radio interviews. He will probably learn it is best to be humble to your opponents like Belichek or even Whiz would. Horton has a real good concept of defense. He is by far the best candidate in that regard. However he will need a strong offensive staff if he is to succeed as head coach. I think we lose him to a head coaching gig elsewhere if we do not promote him.

I don't care for Andy Reid. I personally do not like the West Coast Offense, nor do I care for Reid's nonchalant manor after games (much like Whiz). I would throw out there Bruce Arians, though I concede he has been successful with great QB's already in place. But he has the Steeler connection, and you can't count those out.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Good ideas and analysis on coaching candidates. After watching Washington destroy Dallas on national television with 300 rushing yards, I am more convinced then ever Chip Kelly would work in the NFL. The look on Demarcus Ware's face after RG3 tricked him time and time again was priceless. It shows that good coaching and execution of a option-read offense is the real deal. I think Chip Kelly would be able to run a similar offense that could turn this team around in short order.

I also like the idea of Mike McCoy. He is the opposite of Whiz in that he adjusts (sometimes radically so) to his personnel. The Broncos offense is looking really good right now and I think McCoy's willingness to adapt to his players' strengths is a major reason why.

I could work with Ray Horton as coach. His intensity and passion for the job are unquestioned. Personally I think he acts a little young and cocky in radio interviews. He will probably learn it is best to be humble to your opponents like Belichek or even Whiz would. Horton has a real good concept of defense. He is by far the best candidate in that regard. However he will need a strong offensive staff if he is to succeed as head coach. I think we lose him to a head coaching gig elsewhere if we do not promote him.

I don't care for Andy Reid. I personally do not like the West Coast Offense, nor do I care for Reid's nonchalant manor after games (much like Whiz). I would throw out there Bruce Arians, though I concede he has been successful with great QB's already in place. But he has the Steeler connection, and you can't count those out.

Defenses will adapt to the read-option.. and we would likely need to overhaul our offensive personnel to fit the system.

I think Arians is an interesting, not much talked about option for the Cards. Not sure what kind of relationship (if any) that he and Horton had when both were on the Steelers staff (I think they were both on the staff at the same time), but if they did have a good relationship that could be a way to bring in an offensive minded HC while trying to keep Horton, if he doesn't land a HC gig of his own.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch, I think Reid likes Kolb. He traded away McNabb and gave him the starting role. He got injured in the first game and Vick took over with an MVP year. They decided to give Vick the big contract and he traded Kolb to us. He pulled off a good deal for the Eagles. I agree that his injuries are an issue but Kolb knows Reid's West Coast Offense and that is a plus.
Kolb had an excellent game this year against the Eagles when we beat them 27 to 6 at home. (17 for 25 passes, 222 yds, 2 tds and 0 interceptions.)

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who knows? the Cards may be interviewing Reid as a formality just to get his take on Kolb.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison