A look back: What we thought just days after the NBA Draft.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Thought this would be fun to re-post our original opinions. Seeing as we have had a full season. This is just for fun guys! Im not calling anyone out! In fact, I wont even post names. (I found this from the old AZProSports board. :)

I am glad that you are thrilled, but I am pissed.
How can you pass on Butler to take Stoudamire?

I'd be much happier if we got Butler+ Boozer or Gadzuric

The Suns were one slot late on each pick. They could have had Wilcox at 8 and Woods at 21. Figures
I agree with the Woods part.

This is as happy as I have ever been with the suns draft choices, If you don't like amare, your missing the party. He will be a stud in this league for along time, I Just hope it's with the suns for most of it. we did have a big shortage of consistant 3 point shooting that casey should help out with, I like his all around game. (even if he did play at stanford) lol

Stoudamire, is the player I hoped the Suns landed. They have a good nose for High schoolers, this will be a promising pick!!!

I'm not completely excited about Stoudemire. I would have rather had Hilario. I don't think there was anything outside of Big Jake or Marion or Marbury in order to get him from the Knicks though.

I am just worried that Stoudemire is going to have a really hard time adjusting to the NBA game and he'll end up having a mental breakdown or something. We really can't afford to have a Leon Smith on our hands.

It could still turn out to be good, but I think the Suns might have been more disappointed than they let on.......it's not like they're going to act all disappointed after they pick him........

Still he could surprise me and turn into a great player, but I think its going to take a while before he can even stay in the game for 10 minutes without fouling out.

Did anybody else see some of those highlight reels they showed of Hilario? He looked absolutely amazing. I like Amare Stoudemire, but my preference would have been Hilario.

I though I was watching a young kemp. The way he runs and finishes...Stoudemire was the best option at 9 since we already have marion who plays the same position as bulter.

:thumbup:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why personally, I don't get into the whole draft scene much, because it all really seems like a crapshoot most of the time.

We sit and argue about who we SHOULD have taken, when we really need to wait a year to see how everyone pans out.

Mike

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Well, I don't mind admitting that I'm one of the ones who would have preferred Hilario. It looks like I was wrong, and that's fine with me.

My reaction when the Suns drafted Stoudemire was, "Hmm, I sure hope they know what they're doing." I was skeptical, but none of the other prospects on the board really thrilled me (I was resigned to Jefferies), so I tried to keep an open mind.

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
elindholm,

reading the old board it seems that you and I very much didnt get along. I completely forgot about that. ;)

Actually, its kinda funny to see what everyone was posting last season. We had some good arguments back then! :D

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
hey do you guys remmeber me from the last board? For some reason I feel like I go through these boards unoticed.

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
me too phill. me too.. ;)

Thats why I have decided to get an avatar so I stand out a little bit more. Haw!

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
Well, I don't mind admitting that I'm one of the ones who would have preferred Hilario. It looks like I was wrong, and that's fine with me.

My reaction when the Suns drafted Stoudemire was, "Hmm, I sure hope they know what they're doing." I was skeptical, but none of the other prospects on the board really thrilled me (I was resigned to Jefferies), so I tried to keep an open mind.

Eric, your reaction was the same as mine. I wanted the Suns to draft Hilario, but I figured management had a much better look at these players then I did. You never know. As much as the Suns say Amare Stoudemire was their guy, if he and Hilario had been available at No. 9 they may have gone with the Brazilian. I've heard Cotton Fitzsimmons say more than once that they were very impressed with Nene's workouts.

Hell, it's not exactly set in stone that Amare Stoudemire is going to be the better player. I tend to believe that if Hilario and Amare switched teams before this season it would probably be Hilario being discussed as the rookie of the year.

Joe

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
. As much as the Suns say Amare Stoudemire was their guy, if he and Hilario had been available at No. 9 they may have gone with the Brazilian.
I agree.

Hell, it's not exactly set in stone that Amare Stoudemire is going to be the better player. I tend to believe that if Hilario and Amare switched teams before this season it would probably be Hilario being discussed as the rookie of the year.

Joe
I thought exactly the same thing.

Stoudemire is in a much better team with a star PG.Stoudemire had a better rookie season but also Hilario has a very bright future in NBA.

cly2tw

Reaction score
So, is it still a crime that I proposed to trade Marion to Denver/Cavs for their respective pick to draft Hilario there and Amare with our nine? Given Marion's development his season, it'd be a really tough decision now.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I posted the big

YESSSSS!!! After we drafted him. To me it was Stoudemire or Nene...that's it.

On the flip side, funny post about how NBADraft.Net gave us a D for a draft grade.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think I also liked Nene as well, but after he was drafted, I believe I was all over Stoudemire. I can't remember though, I was posting so much over that day.

scotsman13

Reaction score
well this is one that i will say i was saying that we should get amare 2 months before the draft and when we got he i was jumping up and down for joy. i also said that i think that the suns would get 12 point, 8 boards, and 1.5 blocks a game out of him (i was a wrong there.) i didnt think he would be roy or be as good of a scorer as he is, he gets to the line more then i ever thought we would get.

i didnt like the idea of jefferies or butler( i would have taken bulter over jefferies). i would have liked nene if we could have gotten both amare and nene i would have been even happier. but i would have taken amare over nene. :)

it was a great time seeing who and why we thoguht the suns should draft. cant wait till this years draft.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I wasnt posting here until the season began, but I remember my exact reaction. I was at work when the draft was being held, and me and a friend were in the back room watching the draft every couple choices. When I saw that wilcox was chosen 8th, I was pissed. I think I even punched the table. I liked Nene a lot too, but I was pretty sure we wouldnt have a chance at him. However, I really didn't want Jeffries, so Amare pleased me because I thought it was the best pick for us out of who was left. My friend was so happy with Amare though, he couldnt keep his excitement under control. The rest of the night at work he was all giddy while I didn't want to tlak to customers. Ah memories :D

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I remember wanting Nene at first, but as draft night approached I was starting to lean towards Amare after seeing video of him. I realized how much of a freak he could be. I was still a bit dissapointed when Nene was picked but the selection of Amare made me happy. :)

I figured once Nene was gone that the suns would be stupid enough to take Jefferies. I was wrong!

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wanted Nene also and I would still love to have him on our team (standing next to Amare of course). Once he was gone, Amare was clearly the best PF left on the board. I was a little hesitant with them taking a guy right out of HS, but I figured that they knew what they were doing.

I also was hoping Kareem Rush would fall to us at #22, although he might not have been a great fit because his game is very similar to JJ's. I haven't been extremely happy with Casey this season, but he's not doing too bad for a #22 pick.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once Rush started to fall I was really hoping he would drop all the way to No. 22. I remember posting after his sophomore season that I thought he would be a great fit for this team because of his shooting. I still can't believe the Lakers were able to steal him from Toronto like that.

I also hoped Qyntel Woods would be available, but I had doubts as to whether the Phoenix Suns would take him. I was not overly excited about Casey Jacobson although I did try to rationalize the pick afterwards. When it was time to pick I was hoping they would take Gadzuric.

Casey Jacobson has a lot of work to do if he is going to be an important piece of the Phoenix Suns future.

Joe Mama

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i said we were one pick too late with Wilcox and Woods. I was, however, happy with our draft. i knew very little about amare other than what i read, but he's been all that a bag 'o chips too. i also thought casey would end up being a quality player ala horny. i still think it's too early to decide that he's not gonna contribute. that said, with our pick this year i'd love to see us land hinrich (much more horny than casey), who could backup both pg and sg.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I was mainly relieved that Jeffries was a smoke screen. I thought in this draft they should go big at #22... Gadzuric and Boozer sounded good enough to take a chance on.

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Amare + Boozer would have been nice. Boozer could have been a pretty good center. (Im saying center because that is probably where frank would play him. 6'9 " 260)

Amare and Boozer in 3 years would have been interesting. Its unfortunate that Carlos doesnt have just 2 more inches.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I think Ford scared them off about Boozer. Big but not tall ...

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was the one who was as happy as I have ever been over our draft choices, I didn't know as much about nene then as I know now, And he wouldn't of been a bad choice at all. Casey still can become the type of player I hoped he could be. But he needs the time to figure out the nba game and get his confidence going.(it will come with playing time) But I still think the way Amare Improves his game in some aspect almost game to game He will be the Jewell of this draft when All is said and done. Remind me in 10 years and we will see if I am Right!!!:p :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard