#5 Wildcats take on #12 Memphis In 1st Round

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cats vs Josh. If they get by Memphis, I don't think they can get by Texas.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
Josh Pastner is going to prove he is the better coach.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Memphis may have a punchers chance but the above statement is laughable. Pastner has been evicerated all year for being a poor at preparing his team game to game as well as for his in game coaching . Miller is one of the best in the country at this for the past 6 years.

Personally I love the Cats draw, and if they get to Anahiem, all bets are off.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Miller is excellent at preparing his teams for the tournament. UA had their best PAC-10 tourney in almost a decade and he guided Xavier to two Elite Eights.

I think the Cats can definitely make a run to Anaheim.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Miller took Xavier to one Elite Eight, not two, and one Sweet 16 in his 5 years as head coach. Three times knocked out by a #1 seed and never lost as the higher seed in the tourney.

2006 - Xavier was a #14 and lost by 4 to #3 Gonzaga.
2007 - Was a #9 - beat BYU in the first round. Lost to #1 Ohio State 78-71 in OT.
2008 - Lost to #1 UCLA in the Elite 8.
2009 - Lost to #1 Pittsburgh in the Sweet 16.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

how did you find that picture of me? I stand by my saying Memphis pulls the "upset". How many ranked teams did UA beat on theit way to a PAC Champ?

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
And Memphis is ranked? They had to win at minimum 2 games in their conference tourney just to make the field.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
And Memphis is ranked? They had to win at minimum 2 games in their conference tourney just to make the field.

Never said they were ranked. Just said the UA hasnt beateb any ranked teams on their wonderful run in a down PAC. The 5/12 matchup is known for upsets, this year wont be any different.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Miller took Xavier to one Elite Eight, not two, and one Sweet 16 in his 5 years as head coach. Three times knocked out by a #1 seed and never lost as the higher seed in the tourney.

2006 - Xavier was a #14 and lost by 4 to #3 Gonzaga.
2007 - Was a #9 - beat BYU in the first round. Lost to #1 Ohio State 78-71 in OT.
2008 - Lost to #1 UCLA in the Elite 8.
2009 - Lost to #1 Pittsburgh in the Sweet 16.

Now that Miller is at a major basketball program, he can recruit better athletes and all you have to do is look at this past recruiting class. It's only going to get better in the years to come.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Nice to know ASU athletics are so bad these days that rooting against Arizona has now become their fans only form of entertainment. Your basketball program is terrible and getting worse while ours is good and getting better. Time to face reality.

The the 5/12 thing isn't even really true. 12 seeds have about the same winning percentage in round 1 as the 11 seeds.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
how did you find that picture of me? I stand by my saying Memphis pulls the "upset". How many ranked teams did UA beat on theit way to a PAC Champ?

And where can I find asu in the NCAA or NIT bracket?

You stand behind your imprudent prediction and Ill tell you that your bracket is already busted.

It's unwise to fill out your bracket using your heart and not your head.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Never said they were ranked. Just said the UA hasnt beateb any ranked teams on their wonderful run in a down PAC. The 5/12 matchup is known for upsets, this year wont be any different.

You said UA has not beat any ranked opponents, well, Memphis isn't ranked either...so it should be an easy win for the Cats right?

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
OK you guys are right. UA is elite and will win the NCAA champ this season.....

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Who said that? Maybe next year or the year after that the Cats will have a legitimate shot at the Elite Eight, but no one said they were going this year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Without saying anything about Miller who so far I think has done a wonderful job, I have seen Memphis play 3 times this year and they are the worst coached team I've seen among teams with top 25 talent. They're extremely young I'll give Pastner that but I posted that on a Memphis board earlier in the season and got almost no disagreement.

They run very few set plays, the ones they run are backdoor lobs or clearouts or pick and rolls, their defense is all gambling and trapping etc.

I think UA has a great draw in the one sense in that they play teams who play the way Miller says he wants to play, up tempo. If they beat Memphis, and I think they will, they play Texas. That's a tough matchup because I don't think UA has the size to deal with some of the Texas interior guys other than of course Williams, but Texas is a very up and down team and their guards are very streaky so they could certainly win that game. If UA get to Duke I think they probably get destroyed inside by Duke's size, but again they're not going to play anybody who's going to slow them down or throw multiple defenses against them like Oregon State or USC does.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

Haha, you're really making an argument for the title as worst poster on ASFN. I think it might be time to head over to Cactus Ranch or something where your childish diatribes might actually garner some support. We prefer adult conversations over here.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think UofA easily beats Memphis. Texas is the game that will make or break their tournament. Texas can play ferocious defense and beat anyone in the nation when they are making a few jumpers to go along with that. But, they also have a bad habit of being flat at the worst possible time. (See the Big 12 championship game.)

Now that UofA got over the hurdle of finishing ahead of ASU in the standings for the first time in four years :) a Sweet Sixteen season is the sort of progress you guys expect to see i imagine.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

5/12 is the worst! The numbers 5 and 12 are deceiving these teams are usually pretty evenly matched.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I think UofA easily beats Memphis. Texas is the game that will make or break their tournament. Texas can play ferocious defense and beat anyone in the nation when they are making a few jumpers to go along with that. But, they also have a bad habit of being flat at the worst possible time. (See the Big 12 championship game.)

Now that UofA got over the hurdle of finishing ahead of ASU in the standings for the first time in four years :) a Sweet Sixteen season is the sort of progress you guys expect to see i imagine.

Sean Miller took over a barren program and by Year 2 had won a Pac-10 title. Safe to say he's way ahead of any sort of progress tracking metric.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison