4th and 1???

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I only got to see a few meager highlights. NFL Network did make a point of mentioning how going for it on our own 30 really turned the game in NO's favor. WTF was KK thinking there? Not a good idea, and it sounds like it crushed us.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Wholly agree.

I get trying to give the O some sparky-spark, but a 4-pt game midway through the 3rd quarter Is. Not. One. Of. Those. Times. Ever. Ever. Ever.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I can see both sides of the story. It's the freaking Saints and they were warming up towards the soft zone which BuckB pointed out. I think Kliff said screw it and said now or never because if we cannot get one yard it really becomes irrelevant to the final score. The players can look at it two ways, the offense saying, "damn, he has confidence in us" and the defense going "really?" but VJ should not get mad because he has the outside corners to play man but did not

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't make that type of call unless it's late in the game and nothing to lose. The Cardinals were still in the game so it was a very bad call.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Imo it was kk’s worst decision of the season and has severely shaken my dwindling confidence in him.

Some on the board argue that the dam was about to break. And they are likely right. But the reality is, it hadn’t yet. But kk’s decision either broke it or at a minimum hastened it prematurely. And when playing a superior opponent your best strategy is to keep the game ugly, muddy. And to keep it thus for as long as possible with the hope a lucky bounce or a broken play can lead to stealing a w. Kk’s decision was the antithesis of that philosophy.

And this wasn’t a scenario where:

A. We had been successful finning the ball all game;

B. We had any momentum that had rhythm;

C. Or we were in a neutral position in terms of field position, in a game which to that point had been a field position battle.

In these scenarios, including this instance, kk has pointed to analytics as a reason. And while I am a supporter of analytics, it’s folly to rely solely upon that. If a team wants to do so I’m sure artificial intelligence can script an entire game and we don’t need coaches for schemes or play calls. A coach has to take human factors, and feelings, and nuance into account. This was a bad, bad stupid call by kk. Did it lose us the game? Not in and of itself it didn’t. We likely lose to this NO team under these circumstances 17-18 out of 20 times. But it hurt our minimal chances to do so and it makes me question whether kk is learning anything at all at this level.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I only got to see a few meager highlights. NFL Network did make a point of mentioning how going for it on our own 30 really turned the game in NO's favor. WTF was KK thinking there? Not a good idea, and it sounds like it crushed us.

That didn't turn the game in the Saints favor. The Saints were in control and really the halftime score probably should have been 17-6 or even 20-6 but the Cards got the benefit of a missed FG and the half ending on clock rundown due to Saints penalty.

Ouchie, by far, presents the single best reason why the decision was horrible. When playing a superior opponent, you want to keep the game in the muck as long as possible.

Last edited:

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My issue with it was the play before. If you were in two down mentality then run the ball 1st and see where you end up.

This.... The announcers actually voiced this concern, one of the few times this year they said something that wasn't completely asinine.

Give me 3rd and 1, when I KNOW I'm going on 4th down...And I defy any team to deny the midget 1 freaking yard with 2 QB sneaks.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It was kind of like BA against the Texans i believe when he went for it on 4th down it was a horrible call and can not happen ever! 90% of people who play madden never make that call. It was brutal in a 4 pt game

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
And then to just run it right into the teeth of their excellent defensive line.. that was questionable too.

Boot leg Murray. Fake the hand off, and give him the chance to beat somebody out in space. Just like fourth down call against the Bengels. where he beat two guys to get into the endzone.

K2 is so hot and cold with his play calling.

One minute, it's something really cool and fresh. The next minute, it's WTF?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is nothing they can say that makes it a good idea, especially after running a pass play on 3rd and one. Then, when we haven't run for squat the whole game, run chase directly into a clogged line. Terrible idea, far worse timing and In A position if the field you NEVER do that unless it is win or lose. We we're still in the game and giving the saints the ball on the 30 broke our backs. After that it was unwatchable.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imo it was kk’s worst decision of the season and has severely shaken my dwindling confidence in him.

Some on the board argue that the dam was about to break. And they are likely right. But the reality is, it hadn’t yet. But kk’s decision either broke it or at a minimum hastened it prematurely. And when playing a superior opponent your best strategy is to keep the game ugly, muddy. And to keep it thus for as long as possible with the hope a lucky bounce or a broken play can lead to stealing a w. Kk’s decision was the antithesis of that philosophy.

C. Or we were in a neutral position in terms of field position, in a game which to that point had been a field position battle.

In these scenarios, including this instance, kk has pointed to analytics as a reason. And while I am a supporter of analytics, it’s folly to rely solely upon that. If a team wants to do so I’m sure artificial intelligence can script an entire game and we don’t need coaches for schemes or play calls. A coach has to take human factors, and feelings, and nuance into account. This was a bad, bad stupid call by kk. Did it lose us the game? Not in and of itself it didn’t. We likely lose to this NO team under these circumstances 17-18 out of 20 times. But it hurt our minimal chances to do so and it makes me question whether kk is learning anything at all at this level.

100% agree. We were going to lose anyways but I don't think that mandates takign a flyer like that. Arguments I disagree with, the defense was worn down he had to try and do something. The defense had just spent halftime in the lockerroom, the offense got the ball first, punted, the Saints ran 7 plays about 3 or 4 minutes and then we got a pick. As I mentioned before that was teh 2nd real stop the defense had gotten in the entire game, the other 2 were a missed FG and the Saints running out of time at the end of the half and remember they scored a TD on that drive but it came back due to a hold. So the defense at THAT point in the game was IMO in the best position they had been in, rested, just had a turnover, sure you'd like to move the ball but that's where the lame 3rd down call came into play. You have a QB who can scoot, you haven't been able to run the ball game, do something else, QB draw, or get him on the edge, run that play the Seahawks run all the time where it essentially is a run pass option for Wilson where if the d takes him he lobs it the TE if the D stays back he runs.

But on 4th down there IMO you have to kick, the result was short field the D gave up the TD and then the dam broke because Chase came up hobbling shortly after, KM was limping and you could just see it was all going to crap after that.

I think we still lose and probably still lose Edmonds but that decision flipped the game.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It was kind of like BA against the Texans i believe when he went for it on 4th down it was a horrible call and can not happen ever! 90% of people who play madden never make that call. It was brutal in a 4 pt game

BA would call deep outs on 3rd and 1... Thrilling when it worked, seemed like it mostly never did.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think this decision was as bad as it looked. Like Russ said, the defense has been gassed and needed time to recover. Going in 5/5 on 4th down before that one probably gave KK some confidence.

This wasn't a game where field position was key. Sometimes, the only way to keep Brees in check is to keep him off of the field. IMO the play call itself was worse than deciding to go for it.

(for the record, during the game I said he should punt, and Linder said 'GO FOR IT!')

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I don't think this decision was as bad as it looked. Like Russ said, the defense has been gassed and needed time to recover. Going in 5/5 on 4th down before that one probably gave KK some confidence.

This wasn't a game where field position was key. Sometimes, the only way to keep Brees in check is to keep him off of the field. IMO the play call itself was worse than deciding to go for it.

(for the record, during the game I said he should punt, and Linder said 'GO FOR IT!')
Me either. And the Cards underground crew agree.

I sincerely didn't like that we basically repeated the same play call from 3rd down though. I think it would have been Murray vs. Lattimore if Kyler kept it on the bootleg. We easily get a yard if they are one on one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave