3D TV's Now on Display

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Don't know if any of you have had a chance to see the 3D TV's in action yet. I was at Best Buy and tested both the Samsung and Panasonic. I was pretty damn impressed. For those skeptics, it's not gimmicky at all. In fact, it's basically the same tech used in the theaters now but on a smaller scale.

First off, my impression of the Samsung were good. They only were playing Monsters vs. Aliens and it was pretty impressive. However, I didn't get to see any "live" action. Next I tested the Panasonic. All I can say is wow. They had a demo setup with live action and the depth on the 3D was like nothing I have seen. It was incredible. I am not sure if it was the source material or that fact the Panasonic was a Plasma (vs. the Samsung LCD). However, I can tell you I was blown away.

At any rate, just a preview of what is to come. I am not buying just yet because there are about 3 or 4 new sets coming out by year end. I am sort of waiting for the likes of Vizio etc.. to drive down prices a bit.

I am actually excited about this technology.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, DirecTv just upgraded their service to accomodate for 3D World Cup Soccer.

Hopefully that means 3D PPV movies like Avatar, Shrek, etc.

That is the plan. I also got the messages on my DTV DVR's that they are now 3D ready. The last I heard, there was going to be ESPN 3D and a dedicated 3D movie channel for DTV.

I am just waiting for a TV of 65 inches or greater to come out that gets a decent review.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the plan. I also got the messages on my DTV DVR's that they are now 3D ready. The last I heard, there was going to be ESPN 3D and a dedicated 3D movie channel for DTV.

I am just waiting for a TV of 65 inches or greater to come out that gets a decent review.

What size were the ones at BB?

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What size were the ones at BB?

I believe one was 50 inches and the other was 40 inches. Though online I see they have some 55 inches in stock as well.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score

I know ESPN 3D goes live next week for the world cup. It is pretty cool technology but I'll wait til the technology is a little bit better and the sets are quite a bit cheaper.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yea I might be going to buisness with a few friends soon, and once that happens and I get a few more bucks coming I will most defintally get one soon. But aren't the 3d glasses pretty expensive right now to purchase. I mean avatar and shrek in 3d would be cool but just not enough to make me want to put 4k to a tv right now.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I can't wait to watch sports in 3D. I can't imagine how cool it will be to watch a field goal from behind the uprights . Watching a line drive go right over the pitchers shoulder.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I might be going to buisness with a few friends soon, and once that happens and I get a few more bucks coming I will most defintally get one soon. But aren't the 3d glasses pretty expensive right now to purchase. I mean avatar and shrek in 3d would be cool but just not enough to make me want to put 4k to a tv right now.

Panasonic bundles 2 pair. Samsung does not. I think the sales guy said for another pair it would cost $150. If you want the rechargeable they were even more expensive then that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been an early adopter for pretty much everything in the home theater area for the past 15+ years. I bought my first DVD player when DVD's were still being test marketed in 4 cities. I got one of the first ever TIVO's and bought an HDTV when there was virtually no programming. I avoided the Blu-ray vs HD DVD war by buying each of them when they first became available.

I've gone through multiple generations of just about everything long before the sensible people were purchasing their first one. To tell the truth, I'm sick of it and so is my bank account. Honestly, it's as bad as any addiction. For the first time in a long time I plan on being a late adopter, maybe even the last adopter. I'll just have to get my 3D kicks vicariously through the internet. But please, somebody wake me when they mass market a cheap 3D system that doesn't require glasses.

Steve

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been an early adopter for pretty much everything in the home theater area for the past 15+ years. I bought my first DVD player when DVD's were still being test marketed in 4 cities. I got one of the first ever TIVO's and bought an HDTV when there was virtually no programming. I avoided the Blu-ray vs HD DVD war by buying each of them when they first became available.

I've gone through multiple generations of just about everything long before the sensible people were purchasing their first one. To tell the truth, I'm sick of it and so is my bank account. Honestly, it's as bad as any addiction. For the first time in a long time I plan on being a late adopter, maybe even the last adopter. I'll just have to get my 3D kicks vicariously through the internet. But please, somebody wake me when they mass market a cheap 3D system that doesn't require glasses.

Steve

Ha....you sound like me. I pre-ordered my DVD player so I would have it day one. I also have purchased more surround sound receivers then I should have. I am the say way...new feature and I run out and get it.

The very first time I showed restraint was with the HD DVD/Blu Ray war. I waited for the first time ever I think. Soon after the last big studio jumped on the Blu Ray wagon, they announced the new profile for BD-Live. I bought one of the first ones out. I overspent of course.

Also, a buddy of mine said he had seen a demo of some of the 3D technologies under development that don't require glasses. He said it was nothing like the new 3D technologies. He said is sort of like looking through a view master. It has depth but no real in your face type 3D. You never really get the sense you IN it so to speak. So, I am not sure your ever going to get a great 3D experience minus the glasses.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha....you sound like me. I pre-ordered my DVD player so I would have it day one. I also have purchased more surround sound receivers then I should have. I am the say way...new feature and I run out and get it.

Yeah, but I never learned how to re-sell my old stuff. It either stacks up in my garage or I'll get desperate and haul it to the curb. It broke my heart to put my YAMAHA DSP-A1 on the sidewalk but I just had to have DTS. I have a garage full of the Denons and Yamahas and such that followed my first receiver and none of them had the punch or the clarity of the A1.

The very first time I showed restraint was with the HD DVD/Blu Ray war. I waited for the first time ever I think. Soon after the last big studio jumped on the Blu Ray wagon, they announced the new profile for BD-Live. I bought one of the first ones out. I overspent of course.

I had to buy both because although I preferred HD DVD it was pretty clear early on that Blu-Ray would be the survivor. I only have maybe a 150 HD DVDs but at least the player upscales nicely for standard DVD. And if I don't overspend on something I figure I must be doing something wrong. I just can't figure out why I'm broke all the time.

Also, a buddy of mine said he had seen a demo of some of the 3D technologies under development that don't require glasses. He said it was nothing like the new 3D technologies. He said is sort of like looking through a view master. It has depth but no real in your face type 3D. You never really get the sense you IN it so to speak. So, I am not sure your ever going to get a great 3D experience minus the glasses.

I've come across industry speculation that the product might eventually equal the glasses based version but it suffers from a very limited viewing range. You pretty much sit in the sweet spot or it doesn't work. Still, there are those who believe the product will never go fully mainstream until they can do away with the glasses.

Steve

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but I never learned how to re-sell my old stuff. It either stacks up in my garage or I'll get desperate and haul it to the curb. It broke my heart to put my YAMAHA DSP-A1 on the sidewalk but I just had to have DTS. I have a garage full of the Denons and Yamahas and such that followed my first receiver and none of them had the punch or the clarity of the A1.

Nope I am the same. I have several rooms where I put the old receivers to get some use. However, it's funny you should mention your Yamaha. I also had a Yamaha DSP receiver that was sitting in my garage forever. I finally gave it to my dad so he had something.

I just can't figure out why I'm broke all the time.

Oh I don't have that problem. The wife constantly reminds me. :D

I've come across industry speculation that the product might eventually equal the glasses based version but it suffers from a very limited viewing range. You pretty much sit in the sweet spot or it doesn't work. Still, there are those who believe the product will never go fully mainstream until they can do away with the glasses.
Steve

They had some demos of that tech at the Vegas CES. That is what my buddy had seen. Him and his co-workers got a private demonstration. He said it was hard to explain but he kept going back to the view master example. I just don't see how they could do better then that? Interesting though.

I think this 3D will be mainstream. I was talking to a Samsung representative that was there and he said most of the manufacturers are going to have the 3D television feature as a standard in most of their sets. Consumers can decide to use it or not. He felt that the strategy was sound because if consumers know they "could" be using it, it might push them to go out and buy a 3D capable Blu Ray player if they don't have one that can be updated to support it. He also mentioned that all the major studios will be releasing 3D content by X-mas through the first of the year. Sounds like they are willing to make it mainstream.

Also, I have to say they are pricing it right. I noticed that they had last years Panasonic model on sale but the original price was the same as the new 3D capable one. It appears some manufacturers are refreshing lines by adding in 3D without jacking up the price point.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this 3D will be mainstream. I was talking to a Samsung representative that was there and he said most of the manufacturers are going to have the 3D television feature as a standard in most of their sets. Consumers can decide to use it or not. He felt that the strategy was sound because if consumers know they "could" be using it, it might push them to go out and buy a 3D capable Blu Ray player if they don't have one that can be updated to support it. He also mentioned that all the major studios will be releasing 3D content by X-mas through the first of the year. Sounds like they are willing to make it mainstream.

I guess it depends on how you define mainstream. Right now, for example, do you consider Blu-ray video to be mainstream? Obviously they move a lot of Blu-Ray units but the last I looked video games were still driving those numbers. Actually, I'm going to stop right in the middle of this point because it dawns on me how little I know about the video games side of this equation. So I'll ask a related question, what will be the killer application for this product?

Steve

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
I can't wait to watch sports in 3D. I can't imagine how cool it will be to watch a field goal from behind the uprights . Watching a line drive go right over the pitchers shoulder.

I have seen some sports in previews and it is pretty freakin cool. You don't get the sensation that something is coming right at you (which is my biggest pet peeve when movies do that, it is so stupid and such a cliche) but you get a ton of depth. It is almost like you are looking deep inside of the tv. It is really nice watching football and seeing the entire offensive and defensive lines line up and you can see right down it.

Going back to my pet peeve I did see a golf highlight in 3D and they put the camera in front of a guy so that ball did look like it was coming at you, but for most sports it won't be possible to do that. I'm looking forward to the advances they make and that will determine if/when I go out and buy a 3D tv.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
ps3 is coming out with a patch that will make it 3d compatible. I am stoked about that, now the price on the tv's needs to come down about half.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ps3 is coming out with a patch that will make it 3d compatible. I am stoked about that, now the price on the tv's needs to come down about half.

The XBOX 360 also will have the ability to download a patch. MS came out and said they have not announced specifics because they are assessing demand. It's interesting because a Blu Ray capable Xbox 360 is nowhere in sight.

My suspicion is that XBOX 360 will allow 3D games and have 3D channels like DTV in their Live Service.

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
The XBOX 360 also will have the ability to download a patch. MS came out and said they have not announced specifics because they are assessing demand. It's interesting because a Blu Ray capable Xbox 360 is nowhere in sight.

My suspicion is that XBOX 360 will allow 3D games and have 3D channels like DTV in their Live Service.

I remember a few years ago they were talking about an "external" blu ray drive for XBox. Whatever happened to that? I havent heard anything about the XBox 3d patch, I will have to look into that. Paying for XBox live sucks tho, thats why IMO PS3 is the better deal.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember a few years ago they were talking about an "external" blu ray drive for XBox. Whatever happened to that? I havent heard anything about the XBox 3d patch, I will have to look into that. Paying for XBox live sucks tho, thats why IMO PS3 is the better deal.

It won't be for very long. Sony is adopting a premium service that they will charge for just like XBOX LIVE. So, it will have two tiers of service as well. I am actually glad Sony is doing this. So, far it sounds like Sony will still allow free online play through their lower end service. The reason I am excited about this is that I think MS will have to respond to moving their gaming portion of Live to free to match Sony. At least that is what I hope.

In terms of XBOX 360, I think they are hedging their bets in digital distribution for movies and games versus Blu Ray. I would still like to see a Blu Ray XBOX 360 myself.