22 games left.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We're currently the 5th seed. 9.5 out of first, 4.5 out of 2nd, only 1.5 out of 3rd.

We're projected to have everyone healthy after the All Star break, I believe Shamet is the only question mark.

The top seed out of range.

To get to 2nd, I think we'd need to go 17-5, at worst (It's doable if we're healthy, our record with Cam Johnson was as good). The Grizz are in a weird funk, it might be easier to catch em, but asking them to play sub .500 ball, or worse, is unrealistic.

Third is, obviously, easily attainable, and I think we will get there, barring further injury... which is not improbable. I think third is our most likely seed.

Where do you guys think we will land, who would you most like to match up against in round 1?

I'd looooove to see the Kings, Timberwolves, Thunder or Lakers. I think we'd mop the floor with any of em.

I think we match up well against the Mavs, but the potential trauma of losing to them would be absolutely brutal.

In general in the playoffs. IF we're healthy, and IF our opponents are healthy, the only West teams that frighten me are the Grizzlies, the Clippers and the Pelicans. Everyone else, I think, if healthy, we should be a heavy favorite.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4th or 5th wouldn't be bad as we'd see Denver in the 2nd round. I want to avoid the Clippers, if at all possible. No one else in the West worries me. I think we match up well against virtually everyone but avoiding the Pelicans might be for the best as well.

A first round series against Sacramento might be the best possible outcome. They're 3rd right now but I can't see them holding it. They've also played fewer games than both us and the Clippers. Once they hit 50-51 I suspect they'll be overtaken by us or the Clippers.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
4th or 5th wouldn't be bad as we'd see Denver in the 2nd round. I want to avoid the Clippers, if at all possible. No one else in the West worries me. I think we match up well against virtually everyone but avoiding the Pelicans might be for the best as well.

A first round series against Sacramento might be the best possible outcome. They're 3rd right now but I can't see them holding it. They've also played fewer games than both us and the Clippers. Once they hit 50-51 I suspect they'll be overtaken by us or the Clippers.
Clippers, Warriors, and Mavericks all worry me to some degree.

Not going to be able to avoid them all. 22 games probably isn't enough to get us running like a well oiled machine so I hope we can at least get a matchup against some other team than the 3 I listed in the first round.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Clippers, Warriors, and Mavericks all worry me to some degree.

Not going to be able to avoid them all. 22 games probably isn't enough to get us running like a well oiled machine so I hope we can at least get a matchup against some other team than the 3 I listed in the first round.
Yeah those are the 3 teams we matchup the worst against. Memphis doesn’t scare me. We have the 2 best players in the series assuming everyone is healthy (KD and Book). If Ayton shows up, we win that series in 5-6 games.

Try to get to 3 of course. Wouldn’t mind the Pelicans. That’s a fun rivalry and would be an interesting matchup if Zion came back.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns need time to get healthy and gel before the playoffs. Every opponent worries me.

Suns need to build some chemistry and experience playing together.

The Clippers offense made the Suns defense look bad.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Clippers treat us like we're their you-know-whats...

Anyone but them and I'd be happy.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We've beat them 2 out of the 3 times we've played them this year, but yeah, they are a tough team.
The only one I have seen so far was last night and it brought back flash backs of last year. They have scary matchups for us and Ayton gets owned physically, and likely mentally, by Zubac. I think we can handle them better and would rather face them in a Western conference final. If we face them early, it's going to be massively taxing on this older roster even if they were to advance IMO.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Don't forget, that although we didn't have Durant in this game, we also didn't have Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson.

Terence Ross or no, that's a pretty big loss against a contending team that was full strength.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget, that although we didn't have Durant in this game, we also didn't have Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson.

Terence Ross or no, that's a pretty big loss against a contending team that was full strength.
not sure that matters all that much since those guys won’t be part of the equation moving forward.

That said, I take very little away from last night. I didn’t even watch the second half because it was in essence a preseason game where we didn’t play at full strength. KD is the ultimate equalizer that will change this entire team. How much remains to be seen, but if healthy, I’m gonna guess in a massive way.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
not sure that matters all that much since those guys won’t be part of the equation moving forward.

That said, I take very little away from last night. I didn’t even watch the second half because it was in essence a preseason game where we didn’t play at full strength. KD is the ultimate equalizer that will change this entire team. How much remains to be seen, but if healthy, I’m gonna guess in a massive way.
That's not what I meant. Previous to the "trade", we had Bridges and Johnson, pretty big pieces. Now last night we didn't have them OR their main replacement. Again, still a huge gap in the team. There is a certain talent level with Durant (or with Bridges and Cam) and without Durant, and that level was nowhere near where we would be when healthy. The fact that we never got down by 25 or 30 is a testament to the players we do have. The Clippers are damn good, but last night's game does not represent a playoff matchup with them. I think we essentially agree on that point.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why it matters is the Suns don't have the main guy we traded them for.

So we are down a huge component.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
22 games sounds like a lot but not in the context of the overall season or how fast it will go. I am worried about the team having time to gel.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Clippers treat us like we're their you-know-whats...

Anyone but them and I'd be happy.
When PG and Kawhi are 100% it’s the best wing/forward duo in the league and they’re nearly impossible to guard. When he’s on-the-court the Clippers are #1 in offense and #4 in defense. Only question is will he get hurt again.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As long as we don't have to deal with the play in games I honestly don't care where we place.
We have to play the same amount of games as everyone else, we will have to play the best teams no matter what.

I say we shoot for the 6th spot play the worst of the best teams first to get rolling.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When PG and Kawhi are 100% it’s the best wing/forward duo in the league and they’re nearly impossible to guard. When he’s on-the-court the Clippers are #1 in offense and #4 in defense. Only question is will he get hurt again.
I've got video of Booker shooting over both of them getting fouled and still making the shot to win the game.

I ain't skerd of Kawai and Boy George.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Clippers got the 3, we got the 4 and Sacto got the 5, that would be the dream scenario. Most likely, that first round is still going to be part of the period of adjustment for this team but they can do that easily against the Kings.

And by the time they play Denver, they should be ready to roll, helped even more by the fact that Denver doesn’t scare me one iota if healthy.

That would give us another six games or so to iron out the kinks before having to really gut out series against the likes of a healthy Clippers/Bucks/Celtics.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was their centers that beat us last night. Both Ayton and Landale got worked on the boards - that was eye opening and a potentially big problem.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was their centers that beat us last night. Both Ayton and Landale got worked on the boards - that was eye opening and a potentially big problem.

Zubac and Plumlee made Ayton look and play small. That's why I would welcome Kevin Love in a buyout.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zubic seems to always give Ayton fits

Whatever happened to this Ayton?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members