2024 Salary Cap rises $31 Million

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Not shilling . Just trying to be realistic.

Success for this off season? To me.....

Complete the offense. That includes solidifying the offensive line, filling out the wr room with youth and size, and bringing in the heir apparent to James Conner.
On defense..a couple vet IDL guys to hold it down for 2 or 3 seasons while we develop young guys, a vet journeyman level corner to add some depth and experience to the secondary...and mid to late round developmental picks for IDL and the secondary...corner and safety.

IMO we can't complete both sides of the ball this year. But the draft leans offense as does the league... So complete the O and get it in the top 5 range...that will raise excitement and sell jerseys...add vet experience to the D to buy time to develop late round D projects from this year and early round picks from 2025..

IMO...doing it this way will put us in the wildcard hunt this season and continuing the plan next year should see us a legit playoff team...and have us in position to make a push in 26 as our young guy improve with the possibility of carrying on a couple more seasons as they continue to develop.

That's how I would do it.

Failure, IMO would be signing a couple big names just to generate some excitement and sell some tickets... getting older players for the instant production without viable youth in the pipeline to replace them....and in one sense, trying to spread the draft capital and FA money between offense and defense rather than committing to completing one side with youth now and understanding the other side is going to have to suffer for a while.
I would really like it if,say, three years from now Kyler is the oldest starter on our offense.
I think with the way these guys play for JG this could be a path to sustained success.
You went FA and draft--you quoted me and said FA would be a success. What would FA alone make for a success to you? I have doubts we'll be good enough in FA.

Stout

Reaction score
I have a feeling Monti will be smart about it & not over spend for aging vets with injury histories. I'm thinking he may sign 1 big name, the rest will be mid tier players that are good & fit the culture they want. He's going to mainly build through the draft. Deals deals & more deals & I love it. It's the Patriots way & where he learned how to do this. Exactly the way you build a team quickly with depth.
1 big name and a host of mid-tier starters wouldn't be too bad. We are in desperate need of impact players and quality starters, so if we can get a star DT, say, then a solid LG, a solid CB, another solid DT, and then fill out some depth, that won't be bad at all. If, however, you mean 1 big name then a bunch of depth, that will be very bad.

You don't build a team quickly through the draft. That's a slow process. Deals deals and more deals will just be chasing "the haul" and giving up on impact players and stars. We have a dearth of stars. We don't need to trade out of star territory to get a "solid" starter and a "haul."

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1 big name and a host of mid-tier starters wouldn't be too bad. We are in desperate need of impact players and quality starters, so if we can get a star DT, say, then a solid LG, a solid CB, another solid DT, and then fill out some depth, that won't be bad at all. If, however, you mean 1 big name then a bunch of depth, that will be very bad.

You don't build a team quickly through the draft. That's a slow process. Deals deals and more deals will just be chasing "the haul" and giving up on impact players and stars. We have a dearth of stars. We don't need to trade out of star territory to get a "solid" starter and a "haul."
Mid tier FA that are good players & not overpriced & starters. Deals, deals and more deals=trading down to get the future starter they wanted anyway that's just as good as the player everyone thinks they should take. In the process they also gain extra picks for possible future starter or quality depth piece. Sorry for the confusion. I believe in this staff to get the most out of who Monti brings in, I for one am excited about the future of our team.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
1 big name and a host of mid-tier starters wouldn't be too bad.
i think this is going to be the approach -- assuming a fairly broad definition of a big name

i dont think they are going to set the market with their big name

that said -- Mike has to be feeling pressure on ticket sales after two 4 win seasons

Stout

Reaction score
Mid tier FA that are good players & not overpriced & starters. Deals, deals and more deals=trading down to get the future starter they wanted anyway that's just as good as the player everyone thinks they should take. In the process they also gain extra picks for possible future starter or quality depth piece. Sorry for the confusion. I believe in this staff to get the most out of who Monti brings in, I for one am excited about the future of our team.
What a lovely fantasy that would be wonderful if it wasn't pure fantasy. Reeks of the "smartest guy in the room" crap we dealt with having Keim for so long. 99 percent of the time, when you trade down and think you're getting a guy just as good as you would have gotten if you'd stayed put, you're made to look like a fool. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too. Getting "a haul of pick" means you are exponentially less likely to get a better player when you finally do pick.

I for one hope we decide to stay put and take the star player.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What a lovely fantasy that would be wonderful if it wasn't pure fantasy. Reeks of the "smartest guy in the room" crap we dealt with having Keim for so long. 99 percent of the time, when you trade down and think you're getting a guy just as good as you would have gotten if you'd stayed put, you're made to look like a fool. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too. Getting "a haul of pick" means you are exponentially less likely to get a better player when you finally do pick.

I totally get what your saying but the "star player" doesn't always pan out, yes it may be the most safe pick. You never know how the picks in the late rounds will turn out, Tom Brady was the 6th round I believe. I actually want MHJ at #4, after that #27 & beyond.............if a trade down (not too far down) earns us a good player & an extra pick I'm all for it.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next year? 2025?

Next year we can compete.

2025 at 15% we should be able to make a stacked roster similar to a low paying QB. Murray won't be in the top 10 QBs paid at that point.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

I think this goes both ways. Absolutely take the top end talent when it’s there. But trading down for more picks including future picks doesn’t mean less likely anything. It’s all a strategy and a risk. Although if it was Kiem in there it would be just risk no strategy.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I'm so with you. This team has absolutely no one to root for that resembles a star. Maybe Kyler, and he's divisive. The fan base needs at least someone to be the face of the franchise at this point. It's terrible as a fan of over 30, almost 35 years that I can't find someone whose jersey I want to own.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm so with you. This team has absolutely no one to root for that resembles a star. Maybe Kyler, and he's divisive. The fan base needs at least someone to be the face of the franchise at this point. It's terrible as a fan of over 30, almost 35 years that I can't find someone whose jersey I want to own.

See DRAFT 2024 - PICK #4.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
See DRAFT 2024 - PICK #4.
If it's MHJ, yes.

If we don't get the chance to draft MHJ and take Joe Alt I doubt I'll buy any jersey. If we trade back because MHJ isn't there I doubt I'll buy any jersey. If we skip taking MHJ when he's there for us I'm just going to wear a Devin Booker jersey to games.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

You have to admit Solar7, K1 is getting easier to root for!

From the moment he hurt his knee, he's pretty much done and said everything right!

Saving you a spot on the bandwagon! :)

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It has been shocking to me for years that many fans still think the salary cap is of relevance. And this increase changes exactly 0%.

In fact, there is a very strong argument to be made that it can only hurt the Cards because it will make the guaranteed money in contracts go up, and since that it not just computer-accounting-numbers, it will favor the riches teams. The reason is “the funding rule” that were created sometimes in the 60’s where owners were significantly less wealthy, and where guaranteed money in contracts could realistically be at risk of not being paid. The rule requires teams to put in a certain (very big) amount of the guaranteed money into escrow, protected by a third party, so that the player is in fact guaranteed to receive the money. The bottom line is that Michael Bidwill is not among the richest owners in the NFL, so he might truly not be able to (and/or willing to) write that big of a check right in the moment. Thus, maybe it is not much of a problem, but at the very least it is not in the Cards’ interest that the salary cap continues to go up.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It has been shocking to me for years that many fans still think the salary cap is of relevance. And this increase changes exactly 0%.

In fact, there is a very strong argument to be made that it can only hurt the Cards because it will make the guaranteed money in contracts go up, and since that it not just computer-accounting-numbers, it will favor the riches teams. The reason is “the funding rule” that were created sometimes in the 60’s where owners were significantly less wealthy, and where guaranteed money in contracts could realistically be at risk of not being paid. The rule requires teams to put in a certain (very big) amount of the guaranteed money into escrow, protected by a third party, so that the player is in fact guaranteed to receive the money. The bottom line is that Michael Bidwill is not among the richest owners in the NFL, so he might truly not be able to (and/or willing to) write that big of a check right in the moment. Thus, maybe it is not much of a problem, but at the very least it is not in the Cards’ interest that the salary cap continues to go up.
Salary cap increases in proportion to revenue. I'm sure Mike has a guy who manages his money.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They better make a big splash in free agency. That is how the NFC champions over the last several seasons have gotten good, quick. Much of the AFC too.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Salary cap increases in proportion to revenue. I'm sure Mike has a guy who manages his money.
Maybe he does.

Here is a former front office executives view after the extension to Kyler Murray:

"Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill also likely hid behind the antiquated NFL funding rule by arguing that, unlike Browns owner and tycoon Jimmy Haslam, his family did not have the resources to put $170 million into escrow."

Here is the view from an agent:

"A fully guaranteed contract never seemed like a realistic possibility for Murray because the Cardinals aren't considered a cash-rich team. Meeting the NFL's archaic funding rules, where teams are required to put into an escrow account the amount of any guarantees in a contract other than those just for injury, including ones in future contract years, was going to problematic for the Cardinals."

Here is the view from a journalist:

"For Watson, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam must deposit $169 million into an escrow account by March 31, 2023. As one source recently explained it to PFT, that’s quite possibly a check that Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill can’t afford to write."

Again, I am not saying it is a big problem, but it is certainly a bigger potential risk than most fans know about.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Maybe he does.

Here is a former front office executives view after the extension to Kyler Murray:

"Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill also likely hid behind the antiquated NFL funding rule by arguing that, unlike Browns owner and tycoon Jimmy Haslam, his family did not have the resources to put $170 million into escrow."

Here is the view from an agent:

"A fully guaranteed contract never seemed like a realistic possibility for Murray because the Cardinals aren't considered a cash-rich team. Meeting the NFL's archaic funding rules, where teams are required to put into an escrow account the amount of any guarantees in a contract other than those just for injury, including ones in future contract years, was going to problematic for the Cardinals."

Here is the view from a journalist:

"For Watson, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam must deposit $169 million into an escrow account by March 31, 2023. As one source recently explained it to PFT, that’s quite possibly a check that Cardinals owner Michael Bidwill can’t afford to write."

Again, I am not saying it is a big problem, but it is certainly a bigger potential risk than most fans know about.
Right. I agree with your position for the most part.
But having owned a couple businesses over the years one learns quickly that operating capital is critical and at times an owner even has to reinvest. With that in mind I'm sure that yearly TV check gets deposited and is not divided among shareholders until the year ends and the next deposit is made.
Mikes issue...having to divide between siblings who aren't really vested in the team...is that it is likely difficult to get any help with reinvesting if they need an influx of cash.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. I agree with your position for the most part.
But having owned a couple businesses over the years one learns quickly that operating capital is critical and at times an owner even has to reinvest. With that in mind I'm sure that yearly TV check gets deposited and is not divided among shareholders until the year ends and the next deposit is made.
Mikes issue...having to divide between siblings who aren't really vested in the team...is that it is likely difficult to get any help with reinvesting if they need an influx of cash.
Which is why they need to sell

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You have to admit Solar7, K1 is getting easier to root for!

From the moment he hurt his knee, he's pretty much done and said everything right!

Saving you a spot on the bandwagon! :)
Easier to root for but still not exactly popular to root for. I have his jersey but I'm not buying another in the new style.

I think the bigger concern is that he's going to be 27 this year and the amount of time he has to prove he's more than a middle performer in this league is beginning to fade.

But yes, he's become more media friendly and is putting in more work in the facility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard