2024 Free Agency thread

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Puka was "killing it" with heavy volume from a top QB. His target share was insane. He had 70 targets in those first six weeks.

It lulled in mid-season when Kupp came back, and stepped up. But feeding a player targets can be misleading.

Separately, I agree.
Watch some Rams games, Puka is insane. The only hope we Cardinals fans have is that his play style is going to get him injured.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bills are likely releasing Diggs. Post June 1 designation opens up 19 mil in space. My guess is you will see the "plan to release" tweet in order to see if any team wants to give something up for him.
That solves our problem :)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The Bills are likely releasing Diggs. Post June 1 designation opens up 19 mil in space. My guess is you will see the "plan to release" tweet in order to see if any team wants to give something up for him.
He's a vet, but on the downside of his career and not exactly a guy you'd want as a "leader" among an impressionable group.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I was going to trade for a WR, CeeDee would be a name I would ask about.
Would you rather have him and his soon to be inflated contract or MHJ and 4 sure years of cost control? Or are you saying try and get both?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That Diggs contract is really bad. I would not take it on. Let them release him and I can offer whatever.
It's basically DHop's old contract, right? You give him $19 million for 2024 and you're on team options for the next three years?

I'd give up our lowest third rounder for that. He'd the the 12th-highest paid WR and our total spend on the WR room would be like $25 million. I'd probably hope to upgrade the slot position beyond Dortch, but you can run with that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's basically DHop's old contract, right? You give him $19 million for 2024 and you're on team options for the next three years?

I'd give up our lowest third rounder for that. He'd the the 12th-highest paid WR and our total spend on the WR room would be like $25 million. I'd probably hope to upgrade the slot position beyond Dortch, but you can run with that.
You might be right. I could have read his option bonus verbiage incorrectly. I initially thought it traveled with him.

EDIT: It does look like I read it wrong. Cap hits would be 18+, 18, 19, and 14.4...no kickers that travel with the deal. I still don't feel they have much leverage so I would probably offer a 4 or 5. Yup. Not many teams that could take that on (without needing to restructure) who also need a WR. I can't imagine much competition. Might be able to get it done with a pick swap.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ya that

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You might be right. I could have read his option bonus verbiage incorrectly. I initially thought it traveled with him.

EDIT: It does look like I read it wrong. Cap hits would be 18+, 18, 19, and 14.4...no kickers that travel with the deal. I still don't feel they have much leverage so I would probably offer a 4 or 5. Yup. Not many teams that could take that on (without needing to restructure) who also need a WR. I can't imagine much competition. Might be able to get it done with a pick swap.

I'm sure you'd have to do something when he arrived to make him happy; maybe guarantee the first two years or convert some of it into a bonus. We're probably not on that timeline, but it's an intriguing way to improve the room.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Michael Gallup a free agent.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Watch some Rams games, Puka is insane. The only hope we Cardinals fans have is that his play style is going to get him injured.
I'm not trying to imply that Puka is anything but very good right now, except that doing it all alone isn't necessarily the right narrative. Forcing the ball to him on every play, like they were doing early, didn't turn into perfect success.

The original point was that most rookies had someone on the other side to help them out a little bit, and that was mostly true for Puka too outside of the first few games.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to imply that Puka is anything but very good right now, except that doing it all alone isn't necessarily the right narrative. Forcing the ball to him on every play, like they were doing early, didn't turn into perfect success.

The original point was that most rookies had someone on the other side to help them out a little bit, and that was mostly true for Puka too outside of the first few games.
But it wasn’t mostly true. Even being the only target and being force fed he held up and put up insane #s…. Many many rookie WRs over the years just are miserable adjusting to the NFL. Not this kid. We’re talking about a 5th round rookie no less. Trying to lessen his accomplishment because Kupp was out for a large portion of games is kinda of a weird take imo. He clearly didn’t need another guy on the other side to excel force fed or not.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
But it wasn’t mostly true. Even being the only target and being force fed he held up and put up insane #s…. Many many rookie Wars over the years just are miserable adjusting to the NFL. Not this kid. We’re talking about a 5th round rookie no less. Trying to lessen his accomplishment because Kupp was out for a large portion of games is kinda of a weird take imo. He clearly didn’t need another guy on the other side to excel force fed or not.
I'm not trying to diminish his accomplishments really, just put a clear picture on it. Expecting a rookie WR to do what Puka did is too much, IMO. And your original assertion was that Kupp missed six games, when it was only 4.

I'm just saying that target share really matters in the context of the player. If we give MHJ 20 freaking targets a game, it won't surprise me if he has a similar stat-line, but it's not a sustainable practice for any team.

Nacua seems to be a great player, but we'll see what he looks like when he doesn't have Stafford throwing to him one day, or a true threat on the field in Kupp.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Any player I would trade for would not impact my decision regarding MHJ. I want to win a lot of games and as soon as possible.

In short...both.
Cards media seems to be of the belief Monti doesnt think you need great wrs to win in this league.

Keim's fetish for versatile LBs is why he didnt double dip in 2020 (Hopkins/Lamb). Monti just has a different belief system.

Trevor Sikkema was leaning towards the Cards taking Alt over MHJ before the Jonah Williams news.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard