2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
He's not though. Ojulari is a technician, who gets effort sacks.

Robinson is a pure speed rusher in the Gardeck mold, but a better specimen. If we can agree that the timeline is not next year, than the Cardinals can afford to invest in guys who can develop into more.

I agree that I'd rather go DT, but I think a bunch of teams in front of the Cardinals would too. I suspect Murphy II and Newton will be gone, though from what I've read a few places, Newton might not even be graded as a first round prospect by actual NFL scouts.

My hope is that the Cardinals add some beef at DT through FA since this is one of the stronger DT classes in a long time with Chris Jones, Madubuike, and Wilkins all hitting FA at the same time. My ultimate dream would be to poach Madubuike and bring back Calais, and then draft a guy in the first three rounds (Murphy III, Newton, Leonard Taylor, Orhorhoro, etc.).

So it heavily depends on FA. If the Cardinals don't add a DT, I'm all for DT.
I think the word “technician” is the issue. Some rushers are more power types with simple spin move. Non-power guys are sometimes called technicians by some analysts whether they have sophisticated moves or not. I’m sure Ojulari got some technique from his brother, but he’s not a finished product.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is pretty uncalled for. No reason to be a snide and insulting.

I don't say so, scouting reports do and the film does.
I actually didn't mean to insult you. It's true, I don't have enough time to scout every Cardinals player in depth.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think the word “technician” is the issue. Some rushers are more power types with simple spin move. Non-power guys are sometimes called technicians by some analysts whether they have sophisticated moves or not. I’m sure Ojulari got some technique from his brother, but he’s not a finished product.
When I hear technician, I think of a guy with an arsenal of moves, which Ojulari clearly demonstrated coming out.

There is a reason he led the SEC in total pressures in 2022.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He's not though. Ojulari is a technician, who gets effort sacks.

Robinson is a pure speed rusher in the Gardeck mold, but a better specimen. If we can agree that the timeline is not next year, than the Cardinals can afford to invest in guys who can develop into more.

I agree that I'd rather go DT, but I think a bunch of teams in front of the Cardinals would too. I suspect Murphy II and Newton will be gone, though from what I've read a few places, Newton might not even be graded as a first round prospect by actual NFL scouts.

My hope is that the Cardinals add some beef at DT through FA since this is one of the stronger DT classes in a long time with Chris Jones, Madubuike, and Wilkins all hitting FA at the same time. My ultimate dream would be to poach Madubuike and bring back Calais, and then draft a guy in the first three rounds (Murphy III, Newton, Leonard Taylor, Orhorhoro, etc.).

So it heavily depends on FA. If the Cardinals don't add a DT, I'm all for DT.
I'm comparing them as high pick project prospects, not their specific game. We can't spend another top pick--a 1st rounder, no less--on a project edge rusher. If I didn't like drafting a 2nd rounder who needed at least a redshirt (read wasted year of contract control) season, I am very much against doing so the very next season with a 1st rounder. Just wouldn't make any sense for this team, and we face a very real prospect of still needing an edge because the projects don't pan out. We need certainty at the position.

I agree that much will hinge on FA.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm comparing them as high pick project prospects, not their specific game. We can't spend another top pick--a 1st rounder, no less--on a project edge rusher. If I didn't like drafting a 2nd rounder who needed at least a redshirt (read wasted year of contract control) season, I am very much against doing so the very next season with a 1st rounder. Just wouldn't make any sense for this team, and we face a very real prospect of still needing an edge because the projects don't pan out. We need certainty at the position.
We don't know what was known when he was drafted. If you really like a player, you draft them anyway unless you know they won't play year one.

What was said after it was released that Ojulari had a lingering injury was that he "should be ready for camp," but he wasn't.
I agree that much will hinge on FA.
I think the defense won't be fixed at all in the draft and I'd rather add high ceiling guys to augment the FA class. Robinson has probably the highest ceiling of any of the pass rushers because of his natural tools.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
We don't know what was known when he was drafted. If you really like a player, you draft them anyway unless you know they won't play year one.

What was said after it was released that Ojulari had a lingering injury was that he "should be ready for camp," but he wasn't.

I think the defense won't be fixed at all in the draft and I'd rather add high ceiling guys to augment the FA class. Robinson has probably the highest ceiling of any of the pass rushers because of his natural tools.
We won't agree on Robinson but I know defense won't be fixed by FA and draft combined. Definitely no surprise there.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We won't agree on Robinson but I know defense won't be fixed by FA and draft combined. Definitely no surprise there.
Eh let's say for example that the Cardinals sign Madubuike and bring back Calais Campbell for the DL. Then they draft Robinson and a corner who is solid in round three. That could go a long way to fixing the defense.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Eh let's say for example that the Cardinals sign Madubuike and bring back Calais Campbell for the DL. Then they draft Robinson and a corner who is solid in round three. That could go a long way to fixing the defense.
Madubuike will cost a fortune, though. I honestly doubt that Arizona can attract him, since he will be highly sought-after from many teams. What do you think about Christian Wilkins? Maybe the situation is a bit the same, but I would still expect it to be a little lesser than Madubuike. Either way, I agree that a stud defensive lineman and one or two good ones could go a long, long way.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Before Detroit HC, Dan Campbell, decided that he would show the FB world that he was smarter than every other HC, the Lions were showing the world that you can win a big game with a VG running game. And I wonder if the Cardinals in seeing that came away thinking that we'd be better off using the #4 pick on an OT instead of a WR. Keep in mind, Monti's top assistant, Dave (?) Sears came from Detroit?

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Hats off to Texans , from worst to first , their draft strategy of selling out and getting the 2 best players on each side of the ball paid off, and will continue to pay off.

cards earned a top 5 draft pick, by the power of the we suck. But 27 should get a starter.

hope we don’t trade around just to be cool, we need a blue chip prospect.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before Detroit HC, Dan Campbell, decided that he would show the FB world that he was smarter than every other HC, the Lions were showing the world that you can win a big game with a VG running game. And I wonder if the Cardinals in seeing that came away thinking that we'd be better off using the #4 pick on an OT instead of a WR. Keep in mind, Monti's top assistant, Dave (?) Sears came from Detroit?

The interesting thing is our game with SF is one of the games Detroit used as a blueprint from what I heard. We put up 29 points and ran for 234 yards against them and that was one of the games Detroit saw as a how to attack them game. Detroit ran for 182 without a mobile QB because they were able to run so effectively inside that the 49ers had to account for it and then they got the big plays on the edge.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

We ran for 234 against SF last time out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You must do very little research yourself to make this comment.

Another one where they talk about his rush plan and moves

Another one that talks about all his moves.

I could go on and on and on and continue to post scouting reports that confirm my statement isn't a "reach".

On players I like I probably read no less than 4 different scouting reports and watch as much film of the player as I can.

There is ample tape of Ojulari using a wide array of moves at LSU, much moreso than any other prospect in the 2023 draft.
So he’s essentially a finished product/minimal growth in terms of adding moves compared to other first year players. And he’s likely not getting more explosive, maybe bigger. Doesn’t speak very highly of his future upside.

This flies in the face of all the rose colored arguments made in support of his underwhelming season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You must do very little research yourself to make this comment.

Another one where they talk about his rush plan and moves

Another one that talks about all his moves.

I could go on and on and on and continue to post scouting reports that confirm my statement isn't a "reach".

On players I like I probably read no less than 4 different scouting reports and watch as much film of the player as I can.

There is ample tape of Ojulari using a wide array of moves at LSU, much moreso than any other prospect in the 2023 draft.
And my god, if we were to believe those write-ups we just witnessed the rookie season of Derrick Thomas!

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
So he’s essentially a finished product/minimal growth in terms of adding moves compared to other first year players. And he’s likely not getting more explosive, maybe bigger. Doesn’t speak very highly of his future upside.

This flies in the face of all the rose colored arguments made in support of his underwhelming season.
im stunned to see him at 250 lbs. He looks 225

i think this time next year is the right time to get a good read on Ojulari.

He flashed --- a little, but clearly needs to be stronger and could use 10 lbs or so.

if the Cards are lucky -- they get a guy like Alex Highsmith of the Steelers. Didnt do much his rookie season, was a solid player his second year -- had 14 sacks his third year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He didn’t play that many; I’m pretty disciplined even in live games. 18 isn’t hard to find.

No way anyone here watched more than 5% of anyone's snaps because we watch the ball and the game.

Ojulari played 409 defensive snaps. You're really saying you ignored the game and focused on Ojulari for more than 20 of them?

Let pretend there was a miracle and you watched 8% or 33 snaps. You think it's fair to say "he just leaned against OT's" based on that?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
im stunned to see him at 250 lbs. He looks 225

i think this time next year is the right time to get a good read on Ojulari.

He flashed --- a little, but clearly needs to be stronger and could use 10 lbs or so.

if the Cards are lucky -- they get a guy like Alex Highsmith of the Steelers. Didnt do much his rookie season, was a solid player his second year -- had 14 sacks his third year.

At least we didn't draft Tyree Wilson...who went #7 and played 493 snaps and had 3.5 sacks (and was awful).

People are too hard on Ojulari

Myles Murphy went #28 and played 305 snaps and had 3 sacks

Lukas Van Ness went #12 and played 365 snaps and had 4 sacks

Will McDonald went #15 and played 184 snaps and had 3 sacks

Nolan Smith went #30 and played 188 snaps and had 1 sack

Felix Anudike-Uzomah went #31 and played 218 snaps and had 0.5 sacks

Isaiah Foskey went #40 and played 83 snaps and had 0 sacks.

The only player taken above Ojulari that played more snaps and had more sacks was Will Anderson (Wilson had more snaps but less sacks).

It's almost as if teams know that most Edge rushers who aren't top 5 picks take time to develop in the NFL.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No way anyone here watched more than 5% of anyone's snaps because we watch the ball and the game.

Ojulari played 409 defensive snaps. You're really saying you ignored the game and focused on Ojulari for more than 20 of them?

Let pretend there was a miracle and you watched 8% or 33 snaps. You think it's fair to say "he just leaned against OT's" based on that?
I really appreciate you informing me of how I watch football games, buddy.