Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

My first CFB post season mock.

Reactions: PJ1

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The 4 best teams made the CFP. It's just a tough break for Florida St. It's like the Cards in 2014 when they went from Palmer to Stanton to starting Ryan Lindley in the playoffs. They weren't nearly the same team and it showed. Lindley passed for 82 yards.

If FSU QB was healthy, they're in. Without him, they're not a top 4 team, probably not top 10.
They beat the 14th ranked team by double digits. Who knows what they could have been. I’ll bet if they won 44-34 they’d have been in.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with putting 2nd round or later drafted rookies into the starting lineup to fill holes right away. With how the draft is looking to shake out, a top 5 pick should be a WR or OT. Those positions also look to have BPA value in the 20s.
I know it's not the norm, but Seattle with a lot of success played like five or 6 rookies last season and each guy was nails. A lot of it is drafting right. Some is also opportunity. Many times rookies are mired behind vets. I think guys get stats just by being on the field. If you have a good environment and culture that helps a ton for them to understand how to play and what effort is expected of them.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
It's not supposed to be a beauty pageant, otherwise stop telling these kids to just win. Winning isn't important, is the message.
Bottom line is that no one would pick florida state to cover the spread against one of the top 8 teams if they played tonight.

It’s always been a beauty pageant in CFB. They rank teams before the season starts which is 100% beauty contest or based on how beautiful you are going into the season. Those rankings update week to week. I can go back to 2008 before the playoff when Texas beat #1 OU by 10 points. They had a gauntlet of top ten teams that year and ultimately lost their lone game at Texas tech on a Hail Mary play at the buzzer. Texas tech, OU, and Texas were all tied with one loss in the big 12 south. Despite Texas H2H win over OU they lost a BS tie breaker and OU went to the big 12 title game and got picked for the BCS national title game to play florida and lost. Texas were better than OU that year, but computers and tiebreaker rules stopped them from competing for a national title. This is only one example of many where teams have been screwed by the system. The situation with florida state is the exact reason we have a playoff. This is the first time that the four team bracket has really been a failure. Thankfully CFB had the foresight to correct the problem.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Bottom line is that no one would pick florida state to cover the spread against one of the top 8 teams if they played tonight.

It’s always been a beauty pageant in CFB. They rank teams before the season starts which is 100% beauty contest or based on how beautiful you are going into the season. Those rankings update week to week. I can go back to 2008 before the playoff when Texas beat #1 OU by 10 points. They had a gauntlet of top ten teams that year and ultimately lost their lone game at Texas tech on a Hail Mary play at the buzzer. Texas tech, OU, and Texas were all tied with one loss in the big 12 south. Despite Texas H2H win over OU they lost a BS tie breaker and OU went to the big 12 title game and got picked for the BCS national title game to play florida and lost. Texas were better than OU that year, but computers and tiebreaker rules stopped them from competing for a national title. This is only one example of many where teams have been screwed by the system. The situation with florida state is the exact reason we have a playoff. This is the first time that the four team bracket has really been a failure. Thankfully CFB had the foresight to correct the problem.
And that bottom line is a joke. I know that about CFB, that it's a beauty pageant (except when it isn't) and is a reason I don't like it nearly as much as the NFL.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Here’s the part I don’t get. Going into Saturday FSU was ranked 4th, ahead of Texas after FSU beat Florida. Friday Texas beat a mediocre Okla St., ranked 22nd. Saturday FSU beat Louisville ranked 16th. So which team beat the best opponent? If the committees ranking was correct going into that weekend, how much did strength of schedule change? Why wasn’t it a criteria previously? The injury consideration is weird. It never previously impacted ranking throughout the year. Why wasn’t Texas disqualified from the playoffs for barely (3pts) beating TCU, who only won 5 games? How about them only beating Houston (7pts), a 4 game winner? Oh, that’s right; Texas had their starting QB out. The QB playing for FSU in the playoffs would surely be the one who beat Florida. Finally how about giving FSU credit for devising a game plan that beat a ranked opponent with a restricted QB. By restricted I mean they didn’t let the QB run because there literally was no QB backup. BTW the kid was a great runner in high school. It’s fairly easy to defend a one dimensional offense. FSU won by 10!

As to FSU playing lousy against a medium opponent, how about the game AL played against unranked Auburn. If not for a questionable coaching decision, AL loses to a vastly inferior team.

To me this says the Committee gave Saban the good old boy treatment. Once they picked him they had to put in Texas who beat AL. They used an excuse which had never been a ranking criteria. They literally changed the rules to get the people they wanted in. FSU beat every team they played. They even won with no backup QB. They won by more than Texas did when Texas was playing their second string QB (with a backup) against 2 unranked opponents. The Committee looked only at the last weekend and only at the SEC and soon-to-be SEC teams. The fix was in.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Here’s the part I don’t get. Going into Saturday FSU was ranked 4th, ahead of Texas after FSU beat Florida. Friday Texas beat a mediocre Okla St., ranked 22nd. Saturday FSU beat Louisville ranked 16th. So which team beat the best opponent? If the committees ranking was correct going into that weekend, how much did strength of schedule change? Why wasn’t it a criteria previously? The injury consideration is weird. It never previously impacted ranking throughout the year. Why wasn’t Texas disqualified from the playoffs for barely (3pts) beating TCU, who only won 5 games? How about them only beating Houston (7pts), a 4 game winner? Oh, that’s right; Texas had their starting QB out. The QB playing for FSU in the playoffs would surely be the one who beat Florida. Finally how about giving FSU credit for devising a game plan that beat a ranked opponent with a restricted QB. By restricted I mean they didn’t let the QB run because there literally was no QB backup. BTW the kid was a great runner in high school. It’s fairly easy to defend a one dimensional offense. FSU won by 10!

As to FSU playing lousy against a medium opponent, how about the game AL played against unranked Auburn. If not for a questionable coaching decision, AL loses to a vastly inferior team.

To me this says the Committee gave Saban the good old boy treatment. Once they picked him they had to put in Texas who beat AL. They used an excuse which had never been a ranking criteria. They literally changed the rules to get the people they wanted in. FSU beat every team they played. They even won with no backup QB. They won by more than Texas did when Texas was playing their second string QB (with a backup) against 2 unranked opponents. The Committee looked only at the last weekend and only at the SEC and soon-to-be SEC teams. The fix was in.
Eh Alabama beating Georgia and their overall record is good enough for me. In CFB, it's better to lose early than to lose late, and Alabama's early season stumble against Texas seems like years ago. Since then, Alabama has gotten a lot better. If I were a betting man, I think they walk away with another Nattie.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

NCAA football is the only major sport that has never figured out how to get a clear, definitive champion where it is fair. It used to be worse. The best teams rarely played each other, locked into the traditional bowls and conferences, so newspaper writers and coaches voted for the champions. So sometimes we had a AP champ and a different team as UPI national champ. I am sure you remember that quite well.

So, this four team thing was at least supposed to get the best to play each other and get a trophy without subjective voting. Of course, it just moved the goalposts some since the four teams are selected by a committee. FSU is the most flagrant example of a team getting screwed, but many others in the past also got jobbed.

But its all in the past. This system is OVER. Now, all the bitching can move down the line to the #11 and #12 teams which will not be as interesting.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Eh Alabama beating Georgia and their overall record is good enough for me. In CFB, it's better to lose early than to lose late, and Alabama's early season stumble against Texas seems like years ago. Since then, Alabama has gotten a lot better. If I were a betting man, I think they walk away with another Nattie.
I’ll be curious to see if anyone uses Auburn tactics. I like Michigan.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
they should just take all the conference champions and seed them...then play ball...
once in a blue moon we might see lower south dakota presbyterian break off an amazing few games and win a national title... but if they even get lucky enough to beat Bama in round one,... then they get bragging rights and Bama goes home to a year of shame.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Think Bama was something like 1500-1 to win National championship after the Texas loss. Wish I had that!!!