2024 1st round pick #4 is Marvin Harrison Jr

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Why should they be told to count their blessings any more than young professionals entering the workforce and negotiating the best deal for them? I get the petty jealousy (let’s call it what it is - it is jealousy - no matter whether we believe paying entertainers ridiculous money compared to teachers is right or not, that’s an entirely different conversation - it’s jealousy that someone else has skills, traits, other that makes them monetarily more valued in todays society). But we don’t seem to get this kind of jealousy directed at professionals, just athletes. It’s really pretty lame. And who is to say they AREN’T counting their blessings?!! Most seem pretty stoked and even humble upon being drafted and signed.
I don't think young professionals get anywhere near this kind of hype or have any leverage in negotiation. Young people right now fresh out of college are still doing gig work or waiting tables in a lot of cases, and in the cases where they break into their industry, it's for whatever they can take.

Like, I'd be on any kid who thought they'd already arrived on the professional level and then showed up unwilling to do the work.

I don't want to characterize MHJ as someone who doesn't want to work by the way, by all accounts he does, but it's just a minor red flag that there's already so much going on that is distracting from play on the field.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This 2009 Minneapolis society/gossip column is an interesting read, complete with helicopter Dad Larry Sr. involved.

Larry's dad often tried to insert himself into Larry's life, but his dad is a real-life POS by most accounts. My friend from White Bear Lake, MN said that over the years Larry, Sr. was accused of many extramarital affairs, allegedly even paid for an abortion (or said he would and reneged), etc. Both Marcus (Larry's brother) and his father would try to speak on his behalf in the media or on twitter and Larry would shut that down immediately and tell everyone that neither of them spoke for him.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think young professionals get anywhere near this kind of hype or have any leverage in negotiation. Young people right now fresh out of college are still doing gig work or waiting tables in a lot of cases, and in the cases where they break into their industry, it's for whatever they can take.

Like, I'd be on any kid who thought they'd already arrived on the professional level and then showed up unwilling to do the work.

I don't want to characterize MHJ as someone who doesn't want to work by the way, by all accounts he does, but it's just a minor red flag that there's already so much going on that is distracting from play on the field.
Real world to professional athletics analogies in terms of money have never been very accurate. And you may not like these kids having leverage in negotiations but the fact is they do. The world is changing whether we like it or not. College athletes just won a 2.8 Billion dollar revenue sharing agreement yesterday. It's not college athletics anymore. The NCAA is now another professional sports league. HIGH SCHOOL students negotiate NIL deals in the recruiting process.

The power has shifted and the kids now have a hell of a lot of leverage in negotiations.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Larry's dad often tried to insert himself into Larry's life, but his dad is a real-life POS by most accounts. My friend from White Bear Lake, MN said that over the years Larry, Sr. was accused of many extramarital affairs, allegedly even paid for an abortion (or said he would and reneged), etc. Both Marcus (Larry's brother) and his father would try to speak on his behalf in the media or on twitter and Larry would shut that down immediately and tell everyone that neither of them spoke for him.
But not at the beginning. You are comparing your final version of Larry to new Marvin. Larry at this stage was about the same as Marvin, in terms of helicopter dads.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty humble to me

“It’s my first job,” Harrison told Darren Urban of the team website. “Ever since I got here, I’ve been telling people I’m going to work. It’s not practice anymore.”

“All the guys around, offense and defense, have done a great job welcoming me,” Harrison said. “I’m excited to go out there, earn the trust of my teammates, and earn a role any way I can.”

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

LOL There are zero red flags. What "play on the field" is being distracted? And what distraction? We got a guy waving his fist at clouds on a message board. That's not an actual distraction from anything.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL There are zero red flags. What "play on the field" is being distracted? And what distraction? We got a guy waving his fist at clouds on a message board. That's not an actual distraction from anything.
He is being sued. A lawsuit is an actual thing and can be distracting.

I assume. I am 52 and have never been sued before.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jersey should be available soon. By signing his contract he is now part of the NFLPA, etc.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thank the heavens!! Now that this HUGE story is over, we can focus on the things that really count… like a 2 second trigger warning title card before Goodfellas starts on AMC!!!

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So glad he signed, I did have concerns as he had no free agent and has dad seemed to be calling the shots. :thewave:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank the heavens!! Now that this HUGE story is over, we can focus on the things that really count… like a 2 second trigger warning title card before Goodfellas starts on AMC!!!
Well, you’re a wuss if that triggers you.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No. He is basically doing whatever his father tells him to do because his father feels he knows what's best or is living vicariously through him thinking, "If I were to start my NFL career all over again, here is what I would do this time around."

It's going to be interesting to watch. Hopefully, it never turns into a huge deal.

1. Neither you, I, or anyone else outside of the Harrison family knows what MHJ’s reasonings or his father’s opinions are. That in itself invalidates the entire post imo.

2. I’m seriously not trying to be a prick but, even if your opinions on his dad’s advice are accurate, why do you feel you would know how to conduct NFL business better as a fan than his dad would as a former player?

3. I have 5 kids. From birth, I’ve loved and supported them unconditionally. As they approach adulthood, beyond keeping them safe, I don’t control their lives or shove my beliefs/opinions down their throat. Through thick and thin, they’ve come to know that whether they’re right, wrong or indifferent, there’s not a force on this planet that could keep me from loving, helping and supporting them and always wanting the absolute best for them as people. Courtesy of this, my kids and I have an extremely close and trusting relationship. My oldest is 18, extremely headstrong and chasing a dream I most certainly would not choose for him. He knows this and that’s ok. Regardless of my feelings towards that career path, I know that my support will serve him much better, win or lose, than me invalidating his aspirations or doubting his abilities. Courtesy of this, he’d be quick to tell you, his old man is his most trusted advisor. One reason is I have decades of life experience over him. More importantly though, he knows, unequivocally, that any and all advice I give him is done so with his best interests at heart.

A young man trusting and relying on the advice of his father and a father who is comfortable and unashamed to do so is not always rooted in a healthy relationship or the best of intentions. Sometimes, however, it is. Time will tell here but, so far so good imo.