2024 1st round pick #4 is Marvin Harrison Jr

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He is being sued. A lawsuit is an actual thing and can be distracting.

I assume. I am 52 and have never been sued before.
lol This lawsuit is distracting? He's a high-profile athlete who had multiple contracts in freaking college. A lawsuit is unsurprising and a nothingburger. Seriously, look around. How many fans on a message board known for hand-wringing (myself included) have even a bit of care about this? Besides you, who is hard-core waving his fist at the clouds?

You made your agenda here crystal clear as an anti-MHJ guy because you never wanted him. We get the vehemence. You're going to attempt to nitpick anything with him. Get back to me when something actually happens to set him back in football.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's come up in several interviews. He has said his dad is there at every step with him, guiding and advising him. It came up when he skipped the NFL combine and OSU's Pro Day that his dad advised him to skip those and literally rest instead because they were preparing for his professional career. That's not slander.
There’s a world of difference between having a HOF father that is advising his son and what you posited. We all get it, you want to dump on the kid. It’s lame b

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s a world of difference between having a HOF father that is advising his son and what you posited. We all get it, you want to dump on the kid. It’s lame b
Agree to disagree.

None of it really matters as he is a Cardinal and I want him to succeed. Here is hoping he makes history and does even a fraction of what his father did in the league.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think young professionals get anywhere near this kind of hype or have any leverage in negotiation. Young people right now fresh out of college are still doing gig work or waiting tables in a lot of cases, and in the cases where they break into their industry, it's for whatever they can take.

Like, I'd be on any kid who thought they'd already arrived on the professional level and then showed up unwilling to do the work.

I don't want to characterize MHJ as someone who doesn't want to work by the way, by all accounts he does, but it's just a minor red flag that there's already so much going on that is distracting from play on the field.
This is an AWFUL take. By all accounts this has been ALL about football. Not the combine. Not a pro day. But football. What he is actually going to be paid to do. What we are all hoping he will do. Play football. And every first rounder gets hype. Who the bell cares about hype?

And yes, young professionals have a ton of leverage and get paid these. Doctors, pharmacists, lawyers, dentist, accountants, etc.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sounds pretty humble to me

“It’s my first job,” Harrison told Darren Urban of the team website. “Ever since I got here, I’ve been telling people I’m going to work. It’s not practice anymore.”

“All the guys around, offense and defense, have done a great job welcoming me,” Harrison said. “I’m excited to go out there, earn the trust of my teammates, and earn a role any way I can.”
Seems super distracted and going to be a pain in the backside because of his father.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He is being sued. A lawsuit is an actual thing and can be distracting.

I assume. I am 52 and have never been sued before.
Then maybe, I don’t know, don’t type about something about which you don’t know anything?

This type of lawsuit requires very little-to-no attention on his part. Attorneys will take care of like 98% of it. Occasionally they’ll give him an update and maybe talk about settlement offers. If it even ever sees a courtroom his testimony will be likely over in less than an hour (if even close to that long) based on the subject matter. It’s not a distraction because he is not dependent upon that money, but he’s exerting his rights to run his business they way sees fit.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So glad he signed, I did have concerns as he had no free agent and has dad seemed to be calling the shots. :thewave:
Even when these guys don’t have an agent they usually still have attorney. Very few if any of them negotiate anything solo.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1. Neither you, I, or anyone else outside of the Harrison family knows what MHJ’s reasonings or his father’s opinions are. That in itself invalidates the entire post imo.

2. I’m seriously not trying to be a prick but, even if your opinions on his dad’s advice are accurate, why do you feel you would know how to conduct NFL business better as a fan than his dad would as a former player?

3. I have 5 kids. From birth, I’ve loved and supported them unconditionally. As they approach adulthood, beyond keeping them safe, I don’t control their lives or shove my beliefs/opinions down their throat. Through thick and thin, they’ve come to know that whether they’re right, wrong or indifferent, there’s not a force on this planet that could keep me from loving, helping and supporting them and always wanting the absolute best for them as people. Courtesy of this, my kids and I have an extremely close and trusting relationship. My oldest is 18, extremely headstrong and chasing a dream I most certainly would not choose for him. He knows this and that’s ok. Regardless of my feelings towards that career path, I know that my support will serve him much better, win or lose, than me invalidating his aspirations or doubting his abilities. Courtesy of this, he’d be quick to tell you, his old man is his most trusted advisor. One reason is I have decades of life experience over him. More importantly though, he knows, unequivocally, that any and all advice I give him is done so with his best interests at heart.

A young man trusting and relying on the advice of his father and a father who is comfortable and unashamed to do so is not always rooted in a healthy relationship or the best of intentions. Sometimes, however, it is. Time will tell here but, so far so good imo.
Man, this post is awesome C. If I was drinking I think I would shed a tear. Like seriously

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been 10 days since MHJr signed his NFL contract and I still can't order his new Cardinals jersey. I guess there is still more to it than just signing a NFL contract???

:bang:

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

“He does a lot extra, probably too much, I’m going to be fighting him about that,” Gannon said.

Gannon explained that in addition to the carefully planned offseason schedule that the Cardinals have for their players, Harrison will come in early, stay late, and work on his own on the players’ days off. Gannon wants to make sure Harrison isn’t overdoing it to the point that he’s worn out from offseason work and not at 100 percent when the regular season starts.

“If we’re spaced out how many reps and the amount of workload he gets, and then he goes and runs 100 routes on the weekend, he might be dragging today. Now, he doesn’t drag, but I’m just talking about, I love extra work, but you’ve got to be smart about it. You’ve got to have a routine about what you’re doing,” Gannon said.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

“He does a lot extra, probably too much, I’m going to be fighting him about that,” Gannon said.

Gannon explained that in addition to the carefully planned offseason schedule that the Cardinals have for their players, Harrison will come in early, stay late, and work on his own on the players’ days off. Gannon wants to make sure Harrison isn’t overdoing it to the point that he’s worn out from offseason work and not at 100 percent when the regular season starts.

“If we’re spaced out how many reps and the amount of workload he gets, and then he goes and runs 100 routes on the weekend, he might be dragging today. Now, he doesn’t drag, but I’m just talking about, I love extra work, but you’ve got to be smart about it. You’ve got to have a routine about what you’re doing,” Gannon said.
Dedication to his craft not unlike Fitz. Did we strike gold with this kid? I think so.

Last edited: