2023 Draft Day 3 thread rds 4-7

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They have killed the draft every since McClay has come on board. Taco Charlton is one of the very few they've missed in the first round in several years. last year's pick Tyler smith was very unpopular and yet he already replaced Tyron smith at Left Tackle. I think they have done even better with McCarthy and Dan Quinn particularly in the later rounds. Nazi Smith has McCarthy written all over it. Jerry would not have picked that guy unless someone like McCarthy or Parcells were influencing him. Where Jerry and Steven have royally screwed up: mismanaging the salary cap and in prior years trading away multiple first round picks for Roy Williams(wide receiver) and Joey Galloway.
I think Mazi Smith is going to be an awful pick.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think Mazi Smith is going to be an awful pick.
maybe. I'm ok with the risk because they desperately need an interior defensive lineman. they've been picking guys in the later rounds for years that aren't stout enough to stop the run and protect their linebackers. this pick makes sense if they can develop him and he has a strong work ethic to get better.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You were calling out other posters opinions on players that weren’t picked where they thought they would be. It’s what you do.

By calling out do you mean respectfully disagreeing? On a discussion forum? My bad.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Its an awful center class. When the first C doesn't go until 42 it's not great.
lol So you know better than most of the analysts? C is a historically underdrafted position so it's not surprising the first center didn't go until then. Like, at all. Remind me where Creed Humphrey was picked again?

Stout

Reaction score
Go back and read bro there we several posters claiming we needed to draft a center and Wypler was also in there along with the Schmitz’s saying “we need to grab him” or one of them…. As early as round 2… May not have been you ok great doesn’t negate the point.
No one, absolutely no one, was clamoring to pick Wypler in the 2nd round. False narrative. I mentioned him in the 3rd because I was desperate after watching all the top, day-one quality starter prospects get drafted in the 2nd. Pretty clear now he wasn't worth taking in the 3rd, but you and Brit falsely attributing things the board weren't saying.

Reactions: PJ1

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol So you know better than most of the analysts? C is a historically underdrafted position so it's not surprising the first center didn't go until then. Like, at all. Remind me where Creed Humphrey was picked again?

Creed was the 3rd C taken. It was dumb because I had him as the 1st And a 1st round pick.

43 is the lowest the first C has been taken since the class of 2017. The top 3 of which was Pocic, Elflein and Dielman.

I don't like this class. I don't think teams did either.

Stout

Reaction score
But to get a "top notch center", the Cardinals would have had to use a 2nd round pick on one.

BJ Ojulari could be >>>>>>>>>>more impactful than a "top notch center"

Passrushers are worth more than centers. Centers are good players to have, but you can get by with an average one. It's hard to win with no pass rush.

It's a bit of a projection to say Gaines will move to center, but it makes sense.
Or not. What we know is that there were some highly rated centers that were considered plug and play, and we didn't get any of them.

Reactions: PJ1

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one, absolutely no one, was clamoring to pick Wypler in the 2nd round. False narrative. I mentioned him in the 3rd because I was desperate after watching all the top, day-one quality starter prospects get drafted in the 2nd. Pretty clear now he wasn't worth taking in the 3rd, but you and Brit falsely attributing things the board weren't saying.

How did I falsely attribute anything? I literally said people were clamoring for Wypler is the 3rd as you just admitted.

You're falsely attributing some false attributing :)

Stout

Reaction score
Creed was the 3rd C taken. It was dumb because I had him as the 1st And a 1st round pick.

43 is the lowest the first C has been taken since the class of 2017. The top 3 of which was Pocic, Elflein and Dielman.

I don't like this class. I don't think teams did either.
The run on centers completely negates your final statement. The fact that you had Creed Humphrey as a 1st rounder doesn't mitigate that he was taken in the 60s. Just admit that other teams ranked the centers decently and move along. Absolutely no idea why you feel the need to die on this hill other than the Cards didn't take one and you weirdly want to defend that. I'm not arguing that you personally should like the draft class of centers or anything here.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Or not. What we know is that there were some highly rated centers that were considered plug and play, and we didn't get any of them.
How much tape have you watched of Tippmann?

I watched a lot, and I really like him...except he's going to get beat A LOT next year. He has to fix some technical flaws. Most young lineman are like that.

If they were really considered plug and play, they probably go round one.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Has edge rusher not been the number one priority for this whole board all off season?
This. A lot of posters were Anderson or bust because the Cardinals desperately needed an edge. They got the edge (and a future third in a better draft!)

Stout

Reaction score
This. A lot of posters were Anderson or bust because the Cardinals desperately needed an edge. They got the edge (and a future third in a better draft!)
I was Anderson or bust. I still would've liked to get him, but have changed stance since the trade back because it was a good trade. I much rather would've stayed put, kept our new draft capital, and taken Gonzalez. The trade back ended up being a decent idea, though.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Edge, DT, corner and center in some order but I don’t think there was clearly one above the others and we did a good job with two of those and not so good with the other two.
Agree on the priorities, but the problem lies with the value of players and where the board falls.

Round two, edge was obviously a priority. The Cardinals traded down and still got their targeted edge.

Round three they got a CB that I really liked in round three area, but where I nitpick was on the Wilson pick. I like Wilson, but I think it was still early for a guy with a long history of injuries.

By round three, all of the "top centers and top DTs" were long gone. What that means is that players at other positions were likely graded way higher.

Heck the Rams took Kobie Turner at like pick 80 and most analysts gave him like position 200 grades.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I was Anderson or bust. I still would've liked to get him, but have changed stance since the trade back because it was a good trade. I much rather would've stayed put, kept our new draft capital, and taken Gonzalez. The trade back ended up being a decent idea, though.
Here is the thing though, there was more depth at CB than at OT. The fall off from the top OTs to the next tier vs the fall off from top CBs to the next tier was much larger.

Smart teams are cognizant of this draft dynamic and will address the positions with less depth earlier. Obviously positional value also plays a big factor here too.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Were watching the first 2 minutes of a movie and then criticising the reviews of experts that watched the whole thing.
Some things I've learned over the years watching the draft:

1. All of the mock drafts and player rankings we see are essentially created by mostly amateurs.

2. Teams actually meet these players and people who know these players.

3. Game tape can create a mirage of sorts. Sometimes a guy can look really really fast but he's only running a 4.6 and the players chasing him are running a 4.7.

4. Teams do self scouting and have more information on the players within than we do. Maybe Ossenfort and company looked at Zach Allen and said hmm...Cam Thomas can do what he does at a fraction of the cost..

Stout

Reaction score
Agree on the priorities, but the problem lies with the value of players and where the board falls.

Round two, edge was obviously a priority. The Cardinals traded down and still got their targeted edge.

Round three they got a CB that I really liked in round three area, but where I nitpick was on the Wilson pick. I like Wilson, but I think it was still early for a guy with a long history of injuries.

By round three, all of the "top centers and top DTs" were long gone. What that means is that players at other positions were likely graded way higher.

Heck the Rams took Kobie Turner at like pick 80 and most analysts gave him like position 200 grades.
Excellent analysis even though I don't agree with the team's choices in all areas.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Excellent analysis even though I don't agree with the team's choices in all areas.
There were a few different picks I would've made, but I actually like all of the picks on some level.

I absolutely would have draft Garrett Williams where they did. He's a good CB who makes plays on the ball. He goes higher if not for the injury.

Michael Wilson is a different story. The Cardinals did need a bigger receiver to back up DHop, but I his history is iffy because of all the injuries. Granted, he does show some pretty good traits. I just probably would have gone with Stromberg. The counter to Stromberg though is that if the Cardinals are running a wide zone type running attack, Stromberg probably doesn't fit at all.

Clayton Tune is another pick that I probably go a different direction. I like his potential. He throws the ball fairly well and his athletic testing was through the roof and it does show up on tape. Go watch him outrun SMUs defense for a 55 yard TD run and you'll see what he can do. But I think that the need for a developmental backup isn't as great as the need for RB depth. Good player, wrong direction.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA