2023 Draft Day 3 thread rds 4-7

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Has edge rusher not been the number one priority for this whole board all off season?
No, will Anderson was the #1 priority due to his talent. While passrusher was a priority it’s not our #1 imo. Creating an offensive line was my first priority. And it sounded like it was the #1, or at least a high, priority for many others on the board.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This. A lot of posters were Anderson or bust because the Cardinals desperately needed an edge. They got the edge (and a future third in a better draft!)
No. We were will Anderson or bust because we considered him the most talented player in the draft and we had a desire for a transcendent passrusher. If we weren’t going to get him I wasn’t lining up for the next passrusher. I was going CB. I’m okay with Paris bc I want to build the lines. But I’m also leery that we overdrafted him and missed out on next level corners by trading back.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Here is the thing though, there was more depth at CB than at OT. The fall off from the top OTs to the next tier vs the fall off from top CBs to the next tier was much larger.

Smart teams are cognizant of this draft dynamic and will address the positions with less depth earlier. Obviously positional value also plays a big factor here too.
That’s all true. I don’t hate this draft. I just love it. Guess we will see where a lot of these guys pan out. Biggest concern is we really don’t have anyone suited to play center effectively heading into the season. That’s both a short term and long term disaster.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Some things I've learned over the years watching the draft:

1. All of the mock drafts and player rankings we see are essentially created by mostly amateurs.

2. Teams actually meet these players and people who know these players.

3. Game tape can create a mirage of sorts. Sometimes a guy can look really really fast but he's only running a 4.6 and the players chasing him are running a 4.7.

4. Teams do self scouting and have more information on the players within than we do. Maybe Ossenfort and company looked at Zach Allen and said hmm...Cam Thomas can do what he does at a fraction of the cost..
This is all true and we can still end up with a keim making terrible decisions.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No. We were will Anderson or bust because we considered him the most talented player in the draft and we had a desire for a transcendent passrusher.
I fully disagree he is transcendent. Jared Verse coming out next year will be better because he has actual bend and is bigger. And the Cardinals should have the ammo to get him AND Marvin Harrison Jr.
If we weren’t going to get him I wasn’t lining up for the next passrusher. I was going CB. I’m okay with Paris bc I want to build the lines. But I’m also leery that we overdrafted him and missed out on next level corners by trading back.
Rumor is the Raiders were going to take him at seven. Like I said before the draft I did like Anderson, but when a team offers what the Texans did, it's hard to ignore what amounted to a future #7 overall pick.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No. We were will Anderson or bust because we considered him the most talented player in the draft and we had a desire for a transcendent passrusher. If we weren’t going to get him I wasn’t lining up for the next passrusher. I was going CB. I’m okay with Paris bc I want to build the lines. But I’m also leery that we overdrafted him and missed out on next level corners by trading back.
FYI I've never seen a 245 lb guy with little bend end up as a transcendent pass rusher. He's much more likely to be an 8 sack per year guy than be "transcendent".

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That’s all true. I don’t hate this draft. I just love it. Guess we will see where a lot of these guys pan out. Biggest concern is we really don’t have anyone suited to play center effectively heading into the season. That’s both a short term and long term disaster.
Would you have felt solid at center with a rookie? I wouldn't.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I fully disagree he is transcendent. Jared Verse coming out next year will be better because he has actual bend and is bigger. And the Cardinals should have the ammo to get him AND Marvin Harrison Jr.

Rumor is the Raiders were going to take him at seven. Like I said before the draft I did like Anderson, but when a team offers what the Texans did, it's hard to ignore what amounted to a future #7 overall pick.
You can believe he wasn’t transcendent. I’ve thought that about him watching him for two years. Obviously the Texans, and some pretty defensive coaches, thought so too.

And by “overdraft” I just mean I don’t think Paris lives up to his draft position, not that he would have fallen. I know we wouldn’t have gotten him at 12. It’s why I lamented the trade down to 12 originally - I thought it was too far for the two pass rushers, two olinemen, and two corners I liked. Gonzales dropped, so I ended up being wrong. Also makes me think twice about the trade up. I think Gonzales may end up better corner than Paris at tackle. And we had to give up a 2 to make that trade off.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
FYI I've never seen a 245 lb guy with little bend end up as a transcendent pass rusher. He's much more likely to be an 8 sack per year guy than be "transcendent".
You’ve been on this “no bend” crusade for a while, but I didn’t see that come up in write ups, nor is it reflective of what my eyes told me. Nor does demeco Ryans seem to agree with you. But you be you.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You can believe he wasn’t transcendent. I’ve thought that about him watching him for two years. Obviously the Texans, and some pretty defensive coaches, thought so too.

And by “overdraft” I just mean I don’t think Paris lives up to his draft position, not that he would have fallen. I know we wouldn’t have gotten him at 12. It’s why I lamented the trade down to 12 originally - I thought it was too far for the two pass rushers, two olinemen, and two corners I liked. Gonzales dropped, so I ended up being wrong. Also makes me think twice about the trade up. I think Gonzales may end up better corner than Paris at tackle. And we had to give up a 2 to make that trade off.
I don't disagree with your sentiment here, but I will say, it was good to see the Cardinals essentially say, "We're going to do what it takes to protect Kyler Murray."

This is the statement pick that we didn't see from Steve Keim.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Would you have felt solid at center with a rookie? I wouldn't.
I would have felt we had a guy who had experience at the position that was growing into the role. Next year is a loss, and kyler won’t be behind center for all of it, so what better time for a rookie to take his lumps learning if the goal is to move forward in 2024?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't disagree with your sentiment here, but I will say, it was good to see the Cardinals essentially say, "We're going to do what it takes to protect Kyler Murray."

This is the statement pick that we didn't see from Steve Keim.
Agree. Just would’ve liked to see them really double down on that with a center. Even if Ojulari ends up the more talented player I would’ve loved to have seen them end up with the best center in the draft. If Schmidt ends up being a good (not even great, just good) center for a decade I think we blew it. I believe giving kyler his left tackle and center combo for a decade goes a lot farther in making us competitive than any other pick in the second round. It’s more an aggregate of how the center would combine with Paris and their collective impact on our most important piece, kyler, than the individual talent. And mind you, you won’t hear me taking that stance often (usually I’m talent over all else).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You’ve been on this “no bend” crusade for a while, but I didn’t see that come up in write ups, nor is it reflective of what my eyes told me. Nor does demeco Ryans seem to agree with you. But you be you.

And read the other scouting reports where they talk about his stiff hips (stiff hips is another way of talking about lack of bend).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agree. Just would’ve liked to see them really double down on that with a center. Even if Ojulari ends up the more talented player I would’ve loved to have seen them end up with the best center in the draft. If Schmidt ends up being a good (not even great, just good) center for a decade I think we blew it.
Doubtful he is good for a decade, he's already 25.
I believe giving kyler his left tackle and center combo for a decade goes a lot farther in making us competitive than any other pick in the second round. It’s more an aggregate of how the center would combine with Paris and their collective impact on our most important piece, kyler, than the individual talent. And mind you, you won’t hear me taking that stance often (usually I’m talent over all else).
I agree, but I will say, I think it's easier to get by on bad center play than it is to get by with little pass rush. JMS is a nice prospect, but he's clearly below the top center prospects we've seen in other drafts.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
This is a big concern for many of us here

Hard to understand what the FO is thinking on this
You can't fix everything in one draft. So I don't think they could actually go wrong in any direction, if they stuck to their board. Which I believe they did, drafting for need is rarely a good way to draft. IMO

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

And read the other scouting reports where they talk about his stiff hips (stiff hips is another way of talking about lack of bend).
Stiff hips is a component but ankles and balance are just as, if not more, important to bend. That’s the only that comments in his bend it just says “not elite,” which could still mean very good. And when coupled with his other attributes (unusual strength, generational get-off and play diagnosis, nonstop motor, etc.) leaves him as an elite prospect. There’s a reason he went 3rs behind two QBs. And it’s not because Houston overdrafted him.

Reactions: PJ1

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Doubtful he is good for a decade, he's already 25.

I agree, but I will say, I think it's easier to get by on bad center play than it is to get by with little pass rush. JMS is a nice prospect, but he's clearly below the top center prospects we've seen in other drafts.
Not when you’re dependent upon kyler as your crown jewel.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You can't fix everything in one draft. So I don't think they could actually go wrong in any direction, if they stuck to their board. Which I believe they did, drafting for need is rarely a good way to draft. IMO
I generally agree with this philosophy. But not here. You’re ostensibly building around kyler. We’ve seen him greatly underperform with poor center play. I think you do have to take into account specific needs when they may be central to your success.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Stiff hips is a component but ankles and balance are just as, if not more, important to bend. That’s the only that comments in his bend it just says “not elite,” which could still mean very good. And when coupled with his other attributes (unusual strength, generational get-off and play diagnosis, nonstop motor, etc.) leaves him as an elite prospect. There’s a reason he went 3rs behind two QBs. And it’s not because Houston overdrafted him.
Man I have watched probably every sack of his career and 3-4 games focused on Anderson and you rarely see a bendy play from him. He wins with speed to power and very good hand usage. He also gets a ton of sacks on stunts and games as well.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson