(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here is a little more info on Mena.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
From MLB Pipeline:

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 60 | Slider: 50 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45

The highest-priced pitcher in Chicago's 2019 international class, Mena signed for $250,000 out of the Dominican Republic. The pandemic delayed his pro debut until 2021, when he posted a 7.82 ERA but topped the Rookie-level Arizona Complex League in strikeout rate (11.5 per nine innings) as one of its youngest starters (age 18). He dominated Single-A in the first half of last season, held his own in High-A and made three starts in Double-A as a teenager as part of the organization's Project Birmingham.

Mena showed improved velocity during his full-season debut, with his fastball sitting at 92-94 mph and touching 96 with riding action after parking at 90-92 the year before. His best pitch, a plus downer curveball, went from the upper 70s in 2021 to the low 80s last season. He added a harder, sharper slider last year that shows promise but needs more work, as does a mid-80s changeup that features some tumble but needs more separation from his heater.

With his athleticism and low-effort delivery, Mena has the potential for solid control and command. His strike-throwing has taken a step back since he arrived in High-A in mid-2022, however, and he has gotten knocked around when he struggles to locate his pitches. He has the upside of a mid-rotation starter and his feel for spinning the ball could make him a useful bullpen piece.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is very good news for Pavin Smith. He is likely the 5th OF/ backup 1B now

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Hazen still crushing FA:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
CRUSHING IT in the off season. I love how we spread out our money from the playoffs last year to address weaknesses in the team. We have some young guys in Reno that are developing nicely, too. Maybe someday we won't have to get free agents to fill holes?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Now it's time to extend gallen and thomas
IDK about Thomas, but listened to a whole segment on the radio where they talked about Gallen getting his deal done before the season starts. That was supposedly inside info from Gambo. Other sports people have been saying that, too. I am just guessing they are waiting on Thomas to see if they can get Gallen done. I expect they will get Thomas done if for no other reason than to have a trade chip later on down the line.