2023 5th round pick #139 is Clayton Tune QB

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is just silly. Yes he airmailed Dortch twice on outs. That is not the norm for him. I'm guessing he was just hyped up for his first NFL game.

I've watched Tune several times at Houston vs the UCF Knights and he never had problems with out patterns. Although his bread and butter is the deep ball. I can't count the number of beautiful deep balls that the tossed to Tank Dell. That is why I'm hoping to see Hollywood and Rondale get a chance to play with Tune. Those two can really stretch the field and Tune has the arm to drop it right into the basket.
What part are you finding silly? The fact that I find it disappointing that he airmailed those balls, or that Tune actually did it?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What part are you finding silly? The fact that I find it disappointing that he airmailed those balls, or that Tune actually did it?

That you are making such a big deal that he had two bad throws on short outs.
Am I the only one that isn't as impressed with Tune that I thought I would be? He missed every single out throw to the sidelines. At least he missed high and not behind the receiver. There isn't a reading of the defense that has to be made with an out throw. He just has to plant his feet and throw with timing. He failed at that every time.

I was happy with how he bounced back, but I expected more.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was 3 throws that I can remember, not just two.

Just because I keep talking about it, doesn't mean I'm making a big deal about it.

I said I was disappointed, I am. Everyone else is reading into that more than I actually stated. I have even said publicly that I want him to become #2 over Colt.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it was 3

I did mention it in the gameday thread about how he was way off and if it was due to nerves or lack of touch

They were off enough that he needs to work on them this week

I'm hoping he gets corrected because the rest of his throws were not bad

1st game for the young guy at NFL speed so curious to see if he elevates his game

Good test against the Chiefs

With McCoy being so fragile we really need him to bring it

If not it's Blough and Driskel and that doesn't move the needle

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is just silly. Yes he airmailed Dortch twice on outs. That is not the norm for him. I'm guessing he was just hyped up for his first NFL game.

I've watched Tune several times at Houston vs the UCF Knights and a few other AAC teams and he never had problems with out patterns. Although his bread and butter is the deep ball. I can't count the number of beautiful deep balls that the tossed to Tank Dell. That is why I'm hoping to see Hollywood and Rondale get a chance to play with Tune. Those two can really stretch the field and Tune has the arm to drop it right into the basket.
Yeah but the hashs are MUCH wider in college football, so an out can be a much easier (or harder) throw in CFB.

And getting jitters in the NFL that you didn't get in college is a thing. The NFL is hard!

Overall it was a pretty positive outing for Tune and I'm excited to see him play again. That's the main reason I love having a young, unknown QB with promise on the roster...it makes the game more interesting to watch.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm hoping it's Kyler starting week 1 but Tune might get a chance depending how this weekend goes against KC. Yes, I want a season and want the Cards to do better than expected. Tanking is no fun. It's just a business at that point.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Things can obviously change in a hurry, but so far DTR > Tune.

Are either one of these guys going to be franchise QB's in the NFL?

Probably not. So, we are debating who will be the better back-up QB?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
My observation is that DTR is just being asked to go out and make plays, mostly using his athleticism, while Tune was operating within the confines of the offense he’s learning and not really improvising much. Not saying, either is good or bad, or one quarterback is better than the other, it’s just my observation.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Nope. He wasn't. The outs were just disappointing and unexpected.
could be worse, could have gotten scared spun out of the pocket and turned an inc into a 15 yard sack. Next Aug we wont be talking about either of these QBs it will either be Williams or Maye

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
USC doesn't have the best track record for pro qbs minus Palmer somewhat recently. Plus we're paying a qb millions and someone has to be willing to take that on via trade, salary. Not a lock. Several other teams look worse than Cards too.

OP
OP
BullheadCardFan

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Browns: Rookie quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson continued his standout preseason with another impressive performance against Philadelphia. Playing the first half in his first career pro start, Robinson-Thompson completed 13 of 25 passes for 164 yards. He also rushed for 18 yards on four carries. He led the Browns on three drives inside the Philly 25-yard line. The former UCLA star has positioned himself to become Cleveland's long-term backup QB of the future behind starter Deshaun Watson. DTR probably will be the No. 3 QB this season behind Watson and Joshua Dobbs. But he's on track to become the No. 2 QB by 2024. -- Jake Trotter

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Browns: Rookie quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson continued his standout preseason with another impressive performance against Philadelphia. Playing the first half in his first career pro start, Robinson-Thompson completed 13 of 25 passes for 164 yards. He also rushed for 18 yards on four carries. He led the Browns on three drives inside the Philly 25-yard line. The former UCLA star has positioned himself to become Cleveland's long-term backup QB of the future behind starter Deshaun Watson. DTR probably will be the No. 3 QB this season behind Watson and Joshua Dobbs. But he's on track to become the No. 2 QB by 2024. -- Jake Trotter
Yeah, this isn't very impressive. Definitely doesn't make me think he's greater than Tune.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Yeah, this isn't very impressive. Definitely doesn't make me think he's greater than Tune.
Exactly...Like I posted, his highlights are of him doing things when the play breaks down. He's not being asked to stay within the offense...just make plays. With Tune, it seems he's being asked to just run the offense...We didn't see him really try to do anything extravagant in PS Game 1. Maybe that changes tomorrow night??? We'll see.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard