2023 5th round pick #139 is Clayton Tune QB

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched some good and some bad. To me he screams project but with potential.
Yep. I feel he is destined as a career backup, and not enough potential to be a full time starter anywhere. Could win you a game or two in a pinch off of the bench.

His ceiling is basically Colt McCoy. (which I would be happy with if Tune becomes #2 at this point, even with my disappointment)

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I was hoping for more however I am willing to take what I saw so far. The out throws do concern me and I'm hoping to see how that shows next game. He certainly showed an NFL arm and he did seem to go through progressions.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He overthrew each one. Two were badly overthrown. Once was just outside of the hands of the WR at full stretch if I remember correctly.
is it a fixable mechanics issue? If so it would have showed in camp, right? which makes me wonder why the issue shows up in his first NFL game. This leads me too being amped up? I’ll have to go back and look at his college highlights.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I tend to have little faith in a guy that badly overthrows two 10 yard out routes in the same game. I suspect he will have some accuracy issues for as long as he plays. That being said if he can dial that in he has the arm strength to make pretty much every throw and he seems willing to stand in the pocket and deliver.

Though maybe he should get a pass for that one game seeing as it was his first NFL action and probably was feeling some nerves.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I tend to have little faith in a guy that badly overthrows two 10 yard out routes in the same game. I suspect he will have some accuracy issues for as long as he plays. That being said if he can dial that in he has the arm strength to make pretty much every throw and he seems willing to stand in the pocket and deliver.

Though maybe he should get a pass for that one game seeing as it was his first NFL action and probably was feeling some nerves.
I hope you are right.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it a fixable mechanics issue? If so it would have showed in camp, right? which makes me wonder why the issue shows up in his first NFL game. This leads me too being amped up? I’ll have to go back and look at his college highlights.
I would hope so. You would expect him to be able to make these throws or he wouldn't be able to make it this far.

I am not a QB throwing mechanics expert, and I won't pretend to be either.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Easiest fix is taller receivers.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you expected more from a fifth-round rookie, the problem is likely with your level of expectation, not the prospect.
Hitting 5 yard outs? I expect EVERY NFL QB, even a 5th round rookie to connect on at least one of these throws.

Nope. Sorry, not in this case.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
All these people expecting anything from a 5th round rookie QB are just fooling themselves. Guys that have seasons like Brock Purdy are the outlier, not the norm. Could Tune develop into something? Hell yes, but everyone needs to cool their jets right now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
All these people expecting anything from a 5th round rookie QB are just fooling themselves. Guys that have seasons like Brock Purdy are the outlier, not the norm. Could Tune develop into something? Hell yes, but everyone needs to cool their jets right now.
Some of those misses outside the number last week were pretty bad. He needs to throw the football better if he is ever going to play QB.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Some of those misses outside the number last week were pretty bad. He needs to throw the football better if he is ever going to play QB.
This. No one is expecting him to be the next late round QB that becomes a star. Just hit what should be the routine throws at this level. That is the only way he will be even so much as a serviceable backup.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I fail to see the issue with wanting to see enough out of a player that you spent a 5th round pick on to at least be decent enough to play a backup role on the team.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’m going to control my excitement about Tune. Playing against an defense with no game plan and a Vance Joseph defense to boot doesn’t really excite me.
Teams still gameplan for preseason, just not as indepth. That goes both ways though, Tune would benefit from a more indepth gameplan.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
I fail to see the issue with wanting to see enough out of a player that you spent a 5th round pick on to at least be decent enough to play a backup role on the team.
Not the same as my post. Some, maybe several are expecting and hoping he can just start over Colt.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Yes he gets a pass on the two throws to the sideline. He played pretty well and didn’t look overwhelmed. Let’s see how he does this week against the Chiefs.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nope. He wasn't. The outs were just disappointing and unexpected.

That could be a mental block. Whenever I play around the world in basketball, I do fine on all the shots except the very first shot right next to the basket. It takes me all day to get past it. It's just too easy and I overthink everything.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That could be a mental block. Whenever I play around the world in basketball, I do fine on all the shots except the very first shot right next to the basket. It takes me all day to get past it. It's just too easy and I overthink everything.
Definitely could be. Could also be just a bad data at the office. You have a 90% FT shooter than misses 3 in a row.

I'll be watching those outs Tune...

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
lol... but a ten yard out aint easy....and a twenty yard out is one of the toughest throws in football.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely could be. Could also be just a bad data at the office. You have a 90% FT shooter than misses 3 in a row.

I'll be watching those outs Tune...

This is just silly. Yes he airmailed Dortch twice on outs. That is not the norm for him. I'm guessing he was just hyped up for his first NFL game.

I've watched Tune several times at Houston vs the UCF Knights and a few other AAC teams and he never had problems with out patterns. Although his bread and butter is the deep ball. I can't count the number of beautiful deep balls that the tossed to Tank Dell. That is why I'm hoping to see Hollywood and Rondale get a chance to play with Tune. Those two can really stretch the field and Tune has the arm to drop it right into the basket.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson