2023 3rd round pick #72 is Garrett Williams CB

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That Carolina game was pretty awesome too. You didn't get to go to the NFC championship game with me, or that one would be up there as well. Not a bad game at Las Vegas last year either.

Edit: The overtime game against Dallas in 97 was pretty good too. Watching all the cowpokes walking out of our stadium stunned. Good time...
Don’t forget the “Hail Larry” win over Green Bay. We’ve been fortunate enough to make it to a lot of the classics.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I mean it’s all conjecture what woulda happened, but you can’t argue that picking #1 wouldn’t have been better than picking #3.
Agree 100%. Who really believes the Cardinals would have taken Fitz #1 overall over a definite franchise QB. I certainly didn’t. What did everyone expect the Cardinals to say after the fact? Look, I love Fitz! Definitely my favorite Cardinal ever. But, Manning won 2 SB’s. Unless you have a clear franchise QB, you NEVER take a WR over a QB. We lost both Mannings because we rallied late to win meaningless games. And those meaningless wins haunted this franchise for 15+ years.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree 100%. Who really believes the Cardinals would have taken Fitz #1 overall over a definite franchise QB. I certainly didn’t. What did everyone expect the Cardinals to say after the fact? Look, I love Fitz! Definitely my favorite Cardinal ever. But, Manning won 2 SB’s. Unless you have a clear franchise QB, you NEVER take a WR over a QB. We lost both Mannings because we rallied late to win meaningless games. And those meaningless wins haunted this franchise for 15+ years.

Absolutely. Even now, with the legend that Larry is the pick at #3 in 2004 should have been Rivers or Big Ben.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely. Even now, with the legend that Larry is the pick at #3 in 2004 should have been Rivers or Big Ben.
I had completely forgotten about Big Ben. I loved watching him play for Miami (OH). If he had gone to a legit college program, I believe he would have been the first overall pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So, "You're not wrong, you're just short-sighted." Yeah, that's the same as "I agree to disagree." :rolleyes:
No, we just have different preferences. Your’s is immediate gratification, mine is thinking longer term strategy. I don’t know how you can even argue with that. You literally want the win even though it will lessen the opportunity for future impact. I am willing to foregoing the short term euphoria of the win for the chance at a greater future.

Look, I’m not even saying your position is dumb. Some might say that yours is the smarter position, a bird in the hand type philosophy. Accepting a guaranteed $1 today instead of the potential for $10 down the line.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It changes everything, so if you can speculate on what would have happened, well I can too. Plus taking Fitz at number 1 would have cost the cards more money.... :biglaugh: :titanic:
Except mine is based on facts. The raiders originally took gallery before Fitz so it stands to reason they would do so again. There’s no logical reason they would pivot away from the same logic just because San Diego took Philips (who they also passed on) before them instead of after them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That game is the 3rd most memorable game in my lifetime only behind 98’ against SD and the Super Bowl. That win got us Fitz, which eventually led us to Warner and a Super Bowl appearance. The memories of us winning “meaningless” games are more valuable then playing the what if game. It’s how I was raised I guess :cheers:
We were raised to be thoughtful about working toward success and recognizing opportunities for same. Our pops was just as pissed as we were when we won that game. And we still enjoyed spending the day together as a family at each miserable outcome, talking about it on the way home, etc.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That Carolina game was pretty awesome too. You didn't get to go to the NFC championship game with me, or that one would be up there as well. Not a bad game at Las Vegas last year either.

Edit: The overtime game against Dallas in 97 was pretty good too. Watching all the cowpokes walking out of our stadium stunned. Good time...
NFC Championship was epic.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Garrett Williams
Syracuse · CB
Drafted: No. 72 overall

Williams was tracking to be a Round 2 pick before being sidelined by a knee injury in October. While only 5-foot-10, he competes on every play with bigger receivers and sticks with quicker pass-catchers, as well. His aggressiveness allows him to attack screens and ball-carriers trying to run to his side of the field.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Lots of very smart draft analysts love this pick.

When I'm learning about the draft class, I like to use the simulators and as I'm picking, I will start reading about certain players and watch their highlight films and then watch the game films if I can.

Williams was a I guy I really liked. He's aggressive, gets his hands on the ball, and is really good in run support. I think he ends up starting opposite Marco Wilson in the next few years.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lots of very smart draft analysts love this pick.

When I'm learning about the draft class, I like to use the simulators and as I'm picking, I will start reading about certain players and watch their highlight films and then watch the game films if I can.

Williams was a I guy I really liked. He's aggressive, gets his hands on the ball, and is really good in run support. I think he ends up starting opposite Marco Wilson in the next few years.

By few years do you mean this year?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Potential Franchise Qb > WR all day everyday

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I firmly believe that neither Manning would have been willing to play here.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I firmly believe that neither Manning would have been willing to play here.
Peyton played for a God awful Colts team with a horrible owner also, so there‘s no doubt in my mind that he would have played for us. And even if Eli wouldn’t play for us, we could trade that pick just like the Chargers did. Worst case scenario we end up with Rivers or Big Ben. WAY, WAY, WAY better than having Josh McCown as your QB.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then you get the bonanza of the trade. You were a fan of the trade this year, right? Samesies with that year. Trade down to giants. Get the bounty SD received. Still land Fitz.
Did I want to trade down from 3? Or from 1 if we didn't win that last game?

I would have wanted Peyton, but not Eli. Shows what I know.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose