2023 3rd round pick #72 is Garrett Williams CB

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i love that posters are essentially wishing for a 3 win season next year for the draft and inevitably when the darksiders are hoping to lose games for the draft they'll be called out by these posters for not being good fans. you all know it's coming.
If they win those three games at home I'll be happy. I don't have tickets but for the fans that do.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shorter then ideal and lack top end speed
Nothing new
I have to be honest those two round Three picks has been pretty bad selections imo

Where is this speed thing coming from? He didn;t test due to his ACL. Various scouting reports say his speed on film is fine.

"Williams is a twitched-up athlete with good short-area quickness, speed, and change of direction skills."

"One of the first things that stands out on Williams’ tape is his athleticism. The Syracuse CB is an explosive athlete out of breaks and brings searing closing speed. He can hit a blistering second gear when closing on plays and accelerates very quickly out of his stance."

"Williams can throttle up and down with impressive freedom and can immediately halt his momentum at stems, showing excellent reactive quickness."

He does lack elite top end speed to recover but he's a late 3rd round pick. If he had that he would have gone round 1. But his speed overall is fine.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think this is WIlliams best play. You see this from different angles in his highlights but here you can see the whole field.

Like how he keeps his eyes on the QB at all times and reads the play to make the INT.

This can also get him burnt in the NFL though. Better QB's will fake him out and make him lose his guy. And better receivers can lose him with his eyes elsewhere. Although in this case he knew he had the safety there.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
my criticism of the FO is that i havent seen evidence of "the plan"

this is a good player, but one where contributions to 2023 are a ? given it takes ACL injuries a 18 months to be back to 100% (i.e. you are back sooner than that, but not to pre injury form)

the plan is clear now: the team takes its lumps in 2023, with 2024 starting the way back up again.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think this is WIlliams best play. You see this from different angles in his highlights but here you can see the whole field.

Like how he keeps his eyes on the QB at all times and reads the play to make the INT.

This can also get him burnt in the NFL though. Better QB's will fake him out and make him lose his guy. And better receivers can lose him with his eyes elsewhere. Although in this case he knew he had the safety there.

I mocked Garrett Williams to the Cardinals over and over again. He's super twitchy and instinctive, a ready to order Nickelback. Williams will likely never be a starter but should develop into a plus third corner.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Where is this speed thing coming from? He didn;t test due to his ACL. Various scouting reports say his speed on film is fine.

"Williams is a twitched-up athlete with good short-area quickness, speed, and change of direction skills."

"One of the first things that stands out on Williams’ tape is his athleticism. The Syracuse CB is an explosive athlete out of breaks and brings searing closing speed. He can hit a blistering second gear when closing on plays and accelerates very quickly out of his stance."

"Williams can throttle up and down with impressive freedom and can immediately halt his momentum at stems, showing excellent reactive quickness."

He does lack elite top end speed to recover but he's a late 3rd round pick. If he had that he would have gone round 1. But his speed overall is fine.
Timed of game film, he’s estimated at 4.50. He’s not fast.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I start the annual Dark Side threads, but I want us to win every game. Obviously, we won't, but I never root for us to lose. Especially because we go to all the home games every season. Hits differently if you watch from afar, I guess. Once the season is done, we can worry about the draft, etc.
Naw. When I lived in az and attended every game we (me, cheese, pops and brother-who-shall-not-post) started rooting for losses as soon as we recognized a lost season. We’ve always been strategic fans. Doesn’t mean each failed play and loss doesn’t hurt, but we understand the relative value of draft picks positioning for future gain verses single meaningless wins. The only time we differ slightly is if we have a young ascending ball club. Like when kliff’s team hit 8-8. That’s a launching season for the next. But a 3 win season is no different than a 5 win season . . . except for the payoff: draft position.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I do like his closing speed on tape. Reminds me of budda in that regard. Hope he regains it post rehab.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this is a good player, but one where contributions to 2023 are a ? given it takes ACL injuries a 18 months to be back to 100% (i.e. you are back sooner than that, but not to pre injury form)

the plan is clear now: the team takes its lumps in 2023, with 2024 starting the way back up again.
It’s been clear since day one.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i love that posters are essentially wishing for a 3 win season next year for the draft and inevitably when the darksiders are hoping to lose games for the draft they'll be called out by these posters for not being good fans. you all know it's coming.
Myself, I never want us to lose. I just can't cheer for draft position and salary cap management. I would enjoy, much much more, playing the Texans in the Super Bowl and getting picks 31 and 32 in 2024.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

He is a willing tackler. Brings some nastiness to the secondary. I think he ends up starting for us by mid year at the latest and should end up better than Wilson.
I don't know about him being better than Wilson. Wilson is developing into a pretty decent corner. Wilson is a phenomenal athlete too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

He is a willing tackler. Brings some nastiness to the secondary. I think he ends up starting for us by mid year at the latest and should end up better than Wilson.
Mid year would be ridiculously fast a dude just entering the league coming off ACL. Let’s lower initial expectations a little.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Lots of people said this right away. It was pretty clear.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Myself, I never want us to lose. I just can't cheer for draft position and salary cap management. I would enjoy, much much more, playing the Texans in the Super Bowl and getting picks 31 and 32 in 2024.
Hmm I distinctly recall stating “lost season.” Do you believe I think a super bowl appearance would be a “lost season?”

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Naw. When I lived in az and attended every game we (me, cheese, pops and brother-who-shall-not-post) started rooting for losses as soon as we recognized a lost season. We’ve always been strategic fans. Doesn’t mean each failed play and loss doesn’t hurt, but we understand the relative value of draft picks positioning for future gain verses single meaningless wins. The only time we differ slightly is if we have a young ascending ball club. Like when kliff’s team hit 8-8. That’s a launching season for the next. But a 3 win season is no different than a 5 win season . . . except for the payoff: draft position.
“Strategic” would mean not rooting for this team. We are all here despite our best interests.