2023 2nd round #41 pick is BJ Ojulari LB

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You were epically wrong on Washington.

Washington was a phenomenal player once he hit his stride and then was taken out by his own stupidity.

He wasn't great immediately and that should teach you to have patience with young players.

These are the same people that were writing off Trey McBride in year 1.

Anyone writing off a player after *checks notes* 409 snaps isn't someone you should take seriously.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
These are the same people that were writing off Trey McBride in year 1.

Anyone writing off a player after *checks notes* 409 snaps isn't someone you should take seriously.
You're falling back into old habits here. Nobody has "written him off." I haven't read that here. I haven't done that myself. This is a false narrative. There are doubts, and there should be, but no "writing off." Unless you mean how you blasted people for doubting young players will be pure Big Johns in the past, before anyone could know that, then yes, there's plenty of that.

Stout

Reaction score
I have my doubts but I'm rooting for him. It would be a huge bonus if he made that jump. I heard Kyle Vanden Bosch talking about him. More pressure up the middle means QB getting flushed to the outside, which would help BJ's numbers.
This. A thousand times this.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I have my doubts but I'm rooting for him. It would be a huge bonus if he made that jump. I heard Kyle Vanden Bosch talking about him. More pressure up the middle means QB getting flushed to the outside, which would help BJ's numbers.
This can't be understated enough.

As much as the edge group wasn't effective, the Cardinals would only get one or two pocket collapses per game. When there is no threat of a middle pass rush, it's a lot easier to keep the edges contained.

The Cardinals had a lot of almost edge pressures but the QB could easily step up in the pocket and get rid of the ball.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You're falling back into old habits here. Nobody has "written him off." I haven't read that here. I haven't done that myself. This is a false narrative. There are doubts, and there should be, but no "writing off." Unless you mean how you blasted people for doubting young players will be pure Big Johns in the past, before anyone could know that, then yes, there's plenty of that.
I see what @BritCard is talking about. A half dozen (maybe less, I don't keep track) or so posters act like BJ is a total scrub and I think it's too early to believe that based on his pedigree.

Missing camp and off-season work can have a big effect on players and I'd wager it's bigger on rookies than veterans.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The challenge is that there's no affirmative case for BJ Ojulari based on his play on the field. His stat line was disappointing, his eye test was disappointing. Go ahead and post that tweet from Kyle Odegard again from the Steelers game, but one pass rush win is pretty thing gruel.

The pedigree is what? His brother, who's likely to wash out of the NFL after next year? LSU, who hasn't sent a good Edge to the NFL since Danielle Hunter in 2015?

Go back and look at that McBride thread, and it's pretty clear that people were doubting McBride because he wasn't playing much for a second-round pick. Once he started getting snaps in November, people were pretty sure that he was going to make his way in the league. Beej hasn't shown close to the potential McBride showed in his 600 snaps.

That said, the new coaching staff and front office still dumped McBride on the bench in his rookie season, preferring Zach Ertz, who was hurt throughout camp and will clearly washed. The handling of the TE situation was probably the coaching staff's biggest miss in their first season.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This last sentence is ALL we need to realize when we look at how useless our outside rush was last year. The interior of our D Line last year was the worst in the NFL & probably the worst in Cardinal history. I expect major improvements this year in that area & that alone will help JG scheme better, which will result in far more production from the outside rush.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sure. He just says nothing but negatives about him but he hasn't written him off...

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The challenge is that there's no affirmative case for BJ Ojulari based on his play on the field. His stat line was disappointing, his eye test was disappointing. Go ahead and post that tweet from Kyle Odegard again from the Steelers game, but one pass rush win is pretty thing gruel.

The pedigree is what? His brother, who's likely to wash out of the NFL after next year? LSU, who hasn't sent a good Edge to the NFL since Danielle Hunter in 2015?

Go back and look at that McBride thread, and it's pretty clear that people were doubting McBride because he wasn't playing much for a second-round pick. Once he started getting snaps in November, people were pretty sure that he was going to make his way in the league. Beej hasn't shown close to the potential McBride showed in his 600 snaps.

That said, the new coaching staff and front office still dumped McBride on the bench in his rookie season, preferring Zach Ertz, who was hurt throughout camp and will clearly washed. The handling of the TE situation was probably the coaching staff's biggest miss in their first season.

Or, and this is far more likely, Trey wasn't ready year one and needed the time to develop.

And the "It was just because he wasn't playing" line is total BS. People were on his back heavily when he was playing.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Or, and this is far more likely, Trey wasn't ready year one and needed the time to develop.

And the "It was just because he wasn't playing" line is total BS. People were on his back heavily when he was playing.
Yes, but Trey looked like an NFL player in the last two months of his rookie season. He couldn’t get on the field for obvious reasons—he was blocked by a high-profile veteran on a big contract in an offense that played with 1 TE most of the time.

Look at the thread you’re harping on and you won’t see people saying Trey sucks. They’re wondering why he isn’t seeing the field? Those posts ended once Ertz got injured and Trey showed he could play.

No one had doubts about Trey McBride coming into last season; which shows how impoverished your comparison really is.

Provide the affirmative case for Beej outside of his youth. He has plenty of opportunity to show out this season but the floor he displayed last year was Worse than Zaven Collins.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, but Trey looked like an NFL player in the last two months of his rookie season. He couldn’t get on the field for obvious reasons—he was blocked by a high-profile veteran on a big contract in an offense that played with 1 TE most of the time.

Look at the thread you’re harping on and you won’t see people saying Trey sucks. They’re wondering why he isn’t seeing the field? Those posts ended once Ertz got injured and Trey showed he could play.

No one had doubts about Trey McBride coming into last season; which shows how impoverished your comparison really is.

Provide the affirmative case for Beej outside of his youth. He has plenty of opportunity to show out this season but the floor he displayed last year was Worse than Zaven Collins.

Dude, less than a month before last season started you were talking about him as a trade candidate. Maybe it wasn't a true reflection of your opinion but you poo talk everyone so it's hard to tell.

If you have to wait until someone is excelling on the field before you stop dragging them down then what's the point? ANyone can do that. I knew even when McBride wasn't getting results that he was going to be good. I've said, and I will tell you again, that Mike Wilson is going to be a very good WR.

I honestly haven't seen enough of BJ to know because of limited snaps, and you tend to see less of line guys that receivers when watching film as receivers stand out. But would it surprise me if he made a big leap this year? Not at all.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Dude, less than a month before last season started you were talking about him as a trade candidate. Maybe it wasn't a true reflection of your opinion but you poo talk everyone so it's hard to tell.

If you have to wait until someone is excelling on the field before you stop dragging them down then what's the point? ANyone can do that. I knew even when McBride wasn't getting results that he was going to be good. I've said, and I will tell you again, that Mike Wilson is going to be a very good WR.

I honestly haven't seen enough of BJ to know because of limited snaps, and you tend to see less of line guys that receivers when watching film as receivers stand out. But would it surprise me if he made a big leap this year? Not at all.
Quote me. I made one post listing guys in Gannon’s apparent doghouse after Jones was traded. Again, Gannon was playing washed Ertz ahead of McBride. I also called myself McBride’s Arizona dad in that thread.

You can learn a ton about edges because they’re engaged in every play. If you didn’t really see anything special about Beej on tape, then say that—it’s the reality.

As I said, hoping that another candle on the birthday cake and a full camp will make Beej an above average NFL player is pretty thin gruel, but that’s basically all we have. It’s not haterade to say that Bern’s rookie year was a huge disappointment. It’s expressing reality.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Even getting a pretty *mid* season of 8 ish sacks from BJ would be huge for this defense.
If he gives us 8 sacks and a variety of pressures for a few years then that was a good pick.
A team needs a few 8 sacks a season guys to compliment their pass rushing God.
We just need one of those some day

Stout

Reaction score
If he gives us 8 sacks and a variety of pressures for a few years then that was a good pick.
A team needs a few 8 sacks a season guys to compliment their pass rushing God.
We just need one of those some day
Problem is, we don't have one of those and absolutely need Ojulari to be that guy. This is the problem. We need way more than an 8 sack guy because we have jack else.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
This whole narrative is stupid. Nobody knows what kind of player he is going to be. The easy route is to say he’s going to be a bust because most players don’t live up to draft status.

James Harrison was cut multiple times before becoming a force.
He’s an exception but just a point that nobody can make any decision on BJ.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

He has come into camp bigger and stronger.

What else do you need at this point?