2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Well, for me, almost every high priced NBA player is overpaid. And I don't mean that in comparison to the average Joe but in relation to their win/loss value which means availability is very important. Obviously players getting their first post rookie contract are typically overpaid because of their potential but even among veterans it's a problem.

Durant is overpaid, Beal is overpaid, AD is overpaid, Gobert is overpaid, Kawhi is overpaid, Paul George is overpaid, Klay Thompson is overpaid, Embiid is overpaid, CP3 is overpaid as are most of the top 100 paid players. Since the introduction of the Supermax contract, teams have routinely overpaid in a way the league has never seen before and IMO getting that back under control was the driving force for the CBA changes.
Yeah, I have to wonder if that is the whole point of the new direction of the CBA... to basically save the owners (and players, to some extent) from themselves.

I mean it's not like the NBA (or any pro sports league) is ever really in danger of going bankrupt. But at some point, there is an inevitability of diminishing returns when salaries and contracts skyrocket beyond sustainability. Then you get the foolishness of teams giving individual players huge and untenable contracts and having huge buyer's remorse just the next season and doing just about anything to dump the same player. It leads to exhaustion and frustration on the part of everyone, but mostly the fanbase who you really can't afford to lose.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing - really need to tweek the SuperMax to reflect the reality of the Aprons
I hope this fixes it because we went from a handful of players making the max to a handful of players making the supermax which for some reason moved up all the next tier players to the max level. And then the next tier moved into their old slot and it created even more of an imbalance between the top 25% or so and the rest of the league.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I think this moves Golden State out of any possibility of contention.

They just blew their wad on CP3 - and from what we saw of CP3 last year he is almost unplayable IMO.

For awhile. They have also mortgaged their future picks. Most GS fans I have seen are pretty unhappy with Dunleavy

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Steph taunt from this past season came to mind when I saw the CP3 headlines.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I've always believed Steph doesn't like CP3 but respects him. Dislikes things he does on the court and says, but respects him as an all time great player.

I guess we'll see. I literally didn't post the rumor because I don't think either Klay or Draymond like CP3 and I think they want Draymond to stay so getting CP3 might hurt that. But maybe they're the same as Steph, dislike him but respect him?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For awhile. They have also mortgaged their future picks. Most GS fans I have seen are pretty unhappy with Dunleavy

To be fair he inherited a bad situation there is no obvious good move. It might work but it might not and then you have 3 really old guards on the same roster.

So far they haven't traded Kuminga but he still may go today in a deal to Indy, that's still apparently on the table, Kuminga and #19 for the Pacers pick #7. If they do that, they better nail the draft pick because they get another young guy who's not ready to play with their veterans it will look terrible.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am in the minority but I think CP3 is a great fit if he is willing to come off the bench and play less. Poole has to be gone now.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cp3 was a awesom guard for suns who wanted to stay but issues prevented him as a sun next y

Wish cp3 best of luck gettin to play with curry would be fun awesome sg!!! Better than book imo only cause he has rings.... ugh always 1 team in way lol

Hope beal reverses suns poff mojo... fingers heavily crossed

Got beal on my 2k23 ps5 franchise see what happens in vgame beal suns lol :)

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wizards did a heck of job getting Jordan Poole & picks for Chris Paul. Salary dumps are valuable. Losing Beal but gaining Poole you have to applaud the Wizards.

The Wizards did a good job today. Early returns yesterday didn't look so good.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dame is getting traded to Miami. It's only a matter of time now. They could not find a deal for #3.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Where are all those people that said Mikal was not that great now. That's a big time offer that just got rejected.
One of them is right here looking at his playoff stats where he craps his pants every year.

His value will likely never be higher than right now and it makes sense… he put up pretty gaudy numbers on the Nets until the pressure got turned up. That said, his humiliating performance in 3.5 out 4 games, leading his team to a pathetic sweep at the hands of a Sixers club that didn’t even have Embiid for the last 1.5 games told me what I’ve always believed about bridges… he can’t be depended on when the chips are down.

For that reason, I think the Nets are idiots not to take that deal. He’s not a #1 or #2 superstar on a title team. That pick could be. To pass on that plus Simons makes no sense to me if the goal is to actually build a title contender.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of them is right here looking at his playoff stats where he craps his pants every year.

His value will likely never be higher than right now and it makes sense… he put up pretty gaudy numbers on the Nets until the pressure got turned up. That said, his humiliating performance in 3.5 out 4 games, leading his team to a pathetic sweep at the hands of a Sixers club that didn’t even have Embiid for the last 1.5 games told me what I’ve always believed about bridges… he can’t be depended on when the chips are down.

For that reason, I think the Nets are idiots not to take that deal. He’s not a #1 or #2 superstar on a title team. That pick could be. To pass on that plus Simons makes no sense to me if the goal is to actually build a title contender.

I will again point out that Bridges stats in that series were better than the stats Durant put up in the Nets 0-4 defeat the previous season.

I'm excited for the upcoming season but I would undo the Durant trade in an instant, if for nothing than that he could be had for far less now.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Completely disagree. He clearly proved he is a #1 or #2.

I guess by your logic KD is not a star either since he crapped the bed the last two playoffs.

If I could trade KD straight up for Mikal right now, I would do it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Nets may eventually regret that, if true.

Actually, the most valuable thing about Bridges at the moment is that he is on a relatively economical contract.

I like Scoot, but if he is gone I would want to get out of the #3 pick.

I think Miller is going to be a big ol bust.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Where are all those people that said Mikal was not that great now. That's a big time offer that just got rejected.
Huh? I don't think most people were saying Mikal was not a good player. However, it's the #3 pick. It's not the overall #1. You have a proven commodity verses an unproven player. You may not even get the player you are targeting at #3. Then if that player is a bust you gave up Bridges for basically Simons. I don't think it's the flex you think it is.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? I don't think most people were saying Mikal was not a good player. However, it's the #3 pick. It's not the overall #1. You have a proven commodity verses an unproven player. You may not even get the player you are targeting at #3. Then if that player is a bust you gave up Bridges for basically Simons. I don't think it's the flex you think it is.
Oh, it’s not even for the 2nd pick to get Scoot? Thought it was. Yeah… using that trade turn down as some kind of receipt for how great perpetual playoff disaster Bridges is, is kinda silly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard