2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pfft trade whoever you want?
When the midrange mafia comes to town with the three headed monster you better hide yo girls.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the Portzingis trade, the Wizards will now have traded Beal, Rui and Porzingis for next to nothing.

They're also almost certain to let Kuzma walk in free agency.

That is one way to start a rebuild.

Taking a page from the Cardinals book.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the Portzingis trade, the Wizards will now have traded Beal, Rui and Porzingis for next to nothing.

They're also almost certain to let Kuzma walk in free agency.

That is one way to start a rebuild.

Taking a page from the Cardinals book.
If they're smart they should be able to make great use of all their cap space by facilitating trades and absorbing bad contracts. Of course, if they were smart they probably wouldn't be in this position in the first place but the opportunities should be plentiful.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Boston and Wizards are still talking, but the Clips are officially out of the deal.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am surprised to see Boston trade Marcus Smart. His shooting was inconsistent but he was also their most consistent player when it came to energy and effort.

They go from almost trading Brogdon to now being heavily reliant on him to stay healthy and stop sucking in big moments.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am surprised to see Boston trade Marcus Smart. His shooting was inconsistent but he was also their most consistent player when it came to energy and effort.

They go from almost trading Brogdon to now being heavily reliant on him to stay healthy and stop sucking in big moments.
BrOgden failed the physical, they didn’t have a choice if they wanted porzingas I guess.

tyus jones is pretty good, and getting two picks, I think the Celtics did ok.

memphis though, I don’t know what they are doing.

whoops - tyus jones is going to the wizards Not the Celtics.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Wizards did better in the updated deal than when the Clippers were involved. Tyus Jones is a solid PG and should be movable for a pick if Washington chooses. Amir Coffey and the Morris brother was a bad haul, if you can call it a haul. Now they got something for KP.

Boston could afford to move a PG but Smart should have been retained. Either move Brogdan or White.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is a strange trade all around.

Good value for Boston but I don't know how those pieces all fit together. Robert Williams, Grant Williams, Horford and Porzingis seems like quite the log jam... they're going to need to make another move.

The Wizards continue their insanity... Rui, Porzingis, Beal... all gone, Kuzma about to leave in free agency, the return? Some 2nd rounders and Tyus Jones... their fans have got to be foaming at the mouth.

Two first round picks and Jones for Smart? That seems like a bit of an overpay for Memphis. I guess they are desperate to maintain the "toughness" Brooks brought but remove the stupidity.

Crazy that Boston is the team acquiring 1st rounders in the deal.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is a strange trade all around.

Good value for Boston but I don't know how those pieces all fit together. Robert Williams, Grant Williams, Horford and Porzingis seems like quite the log jam... they're going to need to make another move.

The Wizards continue their insanity... Rui, Porzingis, Beal... all gone, Kuzma about to leave in free agency, the return? Some 2nd rounders and Tyus Jones... their fans have got to be foaming at the mouth.

Two first round picks and Jones for Smart? That seems like a bit of an overpay for Memphis. I guess they are desperate to maintain the "toughness" Brooks brought but remove the stupidity.

Crazy that Boston is the team acquiring 1st rounders in the deal.

The deal would make more sense for Memphis if Ja had a more substantial suspension. Perhaps they're planning for a second suspension? Who knows.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Wizards did better in the updated deal than when the Clippers were involved. Tyus Jones is a solid PG and should be movable for a pick if Washington chooses. Amir Coffey and the Morris brother was a bad haul, if you can call it a haul. Now they got something for KP.

Boston could afford to move a PG but Smart should have been retained. Either move Brogdan or White.
Brogdan is hurt and white is better than smart, if they wanted the deal it had to be smart.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wish the Suns could somehow get Tyus Jones.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The deal would make more sense for Memphis if Ja had a more substantial suspension. Perhaps they're planning for a second suspension? Who knows.
They seem to think smart will fix their chemistry it sounds like.

they gave up 1 1st to many though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the Beal deal isn’t official yet, but I doubt it.

Jones $14 million contract is a heavy lift and it's expiring. Tomorrow should be a crazy day.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clippers might be back in business now CP3. That was seemingly dead before that trade fell apart.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a hot rumor but a guy for the SJ Mercury news, Dieter Kurtenbach, is reporting on a rumored trade, well 3 actually but the "big" one is for Zion to go to the Warriors.

4 team deal with Charlotte and Indiana

Pels would get Hayward, the Hornets first round pick, and the Warriors 26 1st rounder.

Hornets get Jordan Poole, Pacers 1st rounder, Warriors 1st rounder, and a 2nd rounder which is unclear since in the article he calls it the hornets pick they can't trade it to themselves.

Pacers get Kuminga and the Pels 1st round pick.

The more likely one seems to be Kuminga to the Pacers along with the Warriors 1st round pick for the Pacers 1st round pick. The Warriors would supposedly hope for one of the Thompson twins although they apparently really like Lively and no longer think 19 is high enough to come close to getting him so he might be in play too.

Weird situation Zion is obviously a great talent but with the injuries, his body type, and that he doesn't defend, or rebound that well, would seem to be a case where you're just hoping surrounding him with guys like Steph and Klay would rub off on him so he gets a better idea of how to be a pro? It's a swing for the fences kind of move seems very unlikely to me.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not a hot rumor but a guy for the SJ Mercury news, Dieter Kurtenbach, is reporting on a rumored trade, well 3 actually but the "big" one is for Zion to go to the Warriors.

4 team deal with Charlotte and Indiana

Pels would get Hayward, the Hornets first round pick, and the Warriors 26 1st rounder.

Hornets get Jordan Poole, Pacers 1st rounder, Warriors 1st rounder, and a 2nd rounder which is unclear since in the article he calls it the hornets pick they can't trade it to themselves.

Pacers get Kuminga and the Pels 1st round pick.

The more likely one seems to be Kuminga to the Pacers along with the Warriors 1st round pick for the Pacers 1st round pick. The Warriors would supposedly hope for one of the Thompson twins although they apparently really like Lively and no longer think 19 is high enough to come close to getting him so he might be in play too.

Weird situation Zion is obviously a great talent but with the injuries, his body type, and that he doesn't defend, or rebound that well, would seem to be a case where you're just hoping surrounding him with guys like Steph and Klay would rub off on him so he gets a better idea of how to be a pro? It's a swing for the fences kind of move seems very unlikely to me.
That would be a fantastic deal for the Warriors if they can pull that off. I mean assuming Zion can stay healthy and play, but it is a risk I would take when Poole seems mentally broken.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be a fantastic deal for the Warriors if they can pull that off. I mean assuming Zion can stay healthy and play, but it is a risk I would take when Poole seems mentally broken.

Zion is a freak but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he never plays more than 55 games in a season for the rest of his career, and that his career is less than 5 more years.

I assume because Dunleavy Jr played for the Pacers after the Warriors that is the likely source of the rumors involving the Pacers

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zion is a freak but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he never plays more than 55 games in a season for the rest of his career, and that his career is less than 5 more years.

I assume because Dunleavy Jr played for the Pacers after the Warriors that is the likely source of the rumors involving the Pacers
Yes a Zion deal is a big risk - however with the position the Warriors are in there is nobody potentially available with a higher upside, and all they really need is for him to be available in the playoffs.

I mean they were almost at the point of not playing Poole by the end of the year, it seems like a very good risk reward move to me.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes a Zion deal is a big risk - however with the position the Warriors are in there is nobody potentially available with a higher upside, and all they really need is for him to be available in the playoffs.

I mean they were almost at the point of not playing Poole by the end of the year, it seems like a very good risk reward move to me.

Yeah I'm in the minority I'm a big Kuminga fan I think he has a very high upside. He's not Zion obviously but he's already a much better defender than Zion, he has to rebound better, as does Zion, and he's not the scorer Zion is clearly. But I'd hate to have to give him up and Poole and only get back Zion because his health is such a risk.

But as pointed out today on Warriors World, we're very close to the situation we were at with Steph Curry where the Warriors considered trading him because of chronic ankle issues. INstead Curry and trainer Tim Grabow(think it's Tim) went on this insane training routine to strengthen his ankles and he's become one of the all time greats. The idea being if they could get Zion, and then get him to work even half as hard as Steph does, maybe some of his health issues go away? I just have always been skeptical on him he's just so big it seems a matter of time where the combination of how high he jumps, and how big he is, results in injuries.

But it IS tempting, if you can keep Draymond you could have Green, Wiggins, Steph, Klay(on a reduced contract) and Zion as a starting 5. Not much depth though, GP2, Moody, PBJ. They're losing DiVincenzo, trading the draft pick, trading Poole, trading Kuminga. It's an all in win now swing for the fences approach.